1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Just bought a new system

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Chucky, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Chucky

Chucky Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    I just bought a new sound system. It consists of all Onkyo products. I got a TX-SR 702 THX Reciever, DX-C 390 CD Player (MP3 Capable), and a TA-RW 244 Cassette Deck and a pair of Sony SS-MB 150 speakers for the rear surround.

Does anyone have any experience with Onkyo? Are they good and reliable? Any input would be appreciated.

2. nsafreak

nsafreak Legend

Mar 23, 2004
    No personal experience (my equipment is Harman Kardon) but I do have some friends that own their equipment. The equipment is reliable and does a good job at handling the audio. You're one of the few folks I see still putting a cassette deck in their home theater. Seems like a lot of folks are ripping their cassettes and burning them to CDs or just leaving them on a PC hard drive to play. Nothing wrong with having it, just making an observation.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Sorry, I have no experience with Onkyo, but shouldn't you have asked those questions before you bought?

4. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I own two Onkyo receivers. They are reliable. It si aquklaity name in the middle of the audio market.

5. Chucky

Chucky Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    I almost went with the Yamaha RX-V 1500. I got the Onkyo because I got it about $400 cheaper than the Yami. Also got MP3 capability on the CD. And the Display is much easier to read than the Yami. Auditioned them both on more than one occasion. Could not tell much difference in them. If anything should happen to the receiver, CD, or Tape Deck, I got a 5yr extended warranty with it.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

7. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    im getting a sony system for x-mas

what ever you do dont get an aiwa system the worst sound ever i know i have an aiwa system got it back in 1999 for x-mas

8. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    you should asked before you purchased it. you should NEVER purchase any electronic device without reading reviews, and first hand accounts from people that already have it. I can't see why you would waste money on a (analog) cassette deck? When did those go out of date? (1985?) Where is the DVD player, HDTV receiver ect. for DD. 5.1?

9. Chucky

Chucky Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    I bought a Toshiba SD-4900 about 6 mos. ago. And I have 100's of tapes that I want to play still. I gotta get the HD set in a few years. Just Built a new house and will be finishing the basement off into a Computer Room, Theater Room/ and another Full Bathroom with a Whirlpool Tub. I am very pleased with the Onkyo setup. I also added a Klipsch RW-10 Sub (575 Watts) about a month ago. I watched Top Gun in DTS 6.1 ES last nite and all I can say is WOW!! No caprision the the Yamaha 5250. I still have a VCR if that matters too. It's roughly 2 yrs old.
    I

10. Chucky

Chucky Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    I had a Sony 715 Receiver. Nothing but problems and very poor sound. I would think twice about Sony recievers.

Check out www.Audioreview.com for reviews on A/V equipment

11. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    had Sony receivers for years, have one now and have never had any problems. Now, I know they may not be the best, but they work well. I guess you got a lemon, why didn't you have it replaced?

12. music_beans

music_beans Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2003

What did you do with your old sound system?

13. Chucky

Chucky Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    It is sitting in the computer room closet right now. FWIW- It is a Yamaha HTR-5250 DTS Reciever & a Sony CDP-CE 525 CD Changer.

You interested in it?

14. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002