1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Just bought HDTivo and have install question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by eichenberg, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eichenberg

eichenberg Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    I just bought the HD Tivo and it should arrive tomorrow :). I would like to prepare in advance the wiring, so all I have to do is attach wires on Tivo end and turn on. I am not sure what I need to run wires. Here is my current set up.

Phase III Dish with 3 of the 4 outs being used. I have a Std Def Direct TV Tivo upstairs and an Direct TV HD receiver downstairs.

I plan on keeping the Tivo upstairs as well as the HD Receiver downstairs. I am going to use the HD receiver for PIP. So I know I need to run 2 wires to the HD Tivo downstairs. Can I split the signal coming into the HD receiver for the Tivo, or do I need to run the 4th out from the dish and split that for the HD Tivo? Or, do I need to buy a multiswitch and attach it? If so, which one and what wires get attached?

2. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...

No, you can't 'split' the satellite signal. Just to make sure you want to connect a total of 5 connections to your phase III dish, 2 for SD Tivo, 1 for HD STB and 2 for your new HD Tivo, if yes then go with the multiswitch. Don't forget you also need a another cable for over the air antenna to the HD Tivo for your local OTA digital channels. Some multiswitchs allow for the connection of a OTA antenna to the swicth (5x8) and you can then use a diplexer to split the DBS and OTA signal from the single coax, but you can't split a DBS cable (at least not with DirecTV hardware).

3. eichenberg

eichenberg Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    Thanks, that is what I needed to know. My only other question is do I need to run 4 wires from the dish (currently there are only 3 coming out) or can I use the 3 coming out and hook those into the 5x8 switch?

Jamie

4. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    No, you really need to hook up all 4 coax from the dish to the multiswitch. Sorry

5. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I have a question alone these lines as well. I currently have Voom and Dish 501 in one room, with an OTA antenna going into VOOM. VOOM is being taken out in a few days. They will leave the line drops intact. DISH I have in 4 rooms. I will end up replacing DISH in all rooms, with the HD-TIVO in the room with VOOM. Will I need more lines dropped, or can DTV use my DISH and VOOM drops?

6. eichenberg

eichenberg Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    When I switched from DISH to Direct TV they used my existing Dish drops, so I would assume they can use yours.

7. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    The HDTivo will need two lines in, so if you have Voom (not sure how many lines into a Voom box) and a 501, you have at least two lines that can be used for the HDTivo. Regarding the other rooms of the house, a DirecTivo will need two lines to each box, so you might need additional lines depending on your configuration.

8. eichenberg

eichenberg Legend

Apr 3, 2003
    Thanks, for all the help. Everything went smoothly and the TIVO is up and running. Now if there was only a way to transfer shows from my STD TIVO to the HD TIVO.

Eichenberg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.