1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a DVR...not happy. What would you do?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BearsFan, Oct 26, 2012.

1. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    So I'm a long time holdout on getting a DVR. I've had an HD receiver for 1.5 years, but never a DVR. It's a long story, won't bore you with it. In any event, I called D* and spoke with some helpful sales/CSR folks this week & got it set up to have a DVR brought over today (Friday).

I'd done my homework (I think). I knew I wanted an HR24 DVR. I didn't want the DVR with the "record up to 5 channels at once" deal. We have a very small town home, just one HDTV, and 3 people including myself. I had some money saved for something else my job ended up buying for me, so I dove in. I called, the CSR almost assuredly told me I'd be getting an HR24 DVR. It's what she had at home & was quite happy with it. I had an HR24 HD receiver, non-DVR and it was FAST. Rarely if ever gave me an issue.

So imagine my surprise, and heartbreak, when the installer comes over today to install my DVR and he gives me an HR22-100. According to what I've read, it's already a 2-year-old model. It has a recertified sticker on the back, and the back panel with all the ports is all scratched up. The installer offered to take it back and not give me anything and say I declined; but I didn't know what to do. He said he didn't have any HR24 DVRs at all. I panicked. So he went ahead and installed it.

It is sooooooooo slow. Really slow. I've already turned off the scrolling effects, turned off all resolutions except 1080i and 1080p (I have a LED HD TV that can handle both those resolutions). I've hit the red button a few times to do resets.

It is still so slow.

What would you do? I mean I've only had the DVR for about 5 hours as I type this. Should I give it more time? I do have it hooked up to the Internet, I have basically business class Internet speeds at home. The installer installed the "TV Apps" box as well.

What's slow? Pressing numbers to go directly to a channel. The numbers take for ever to register, and when I get frustrated and hit them again I end up seeing "26426" on screen. The quick guide (blue button) is extremely slow when using either the arrow keys or pressing number keys in. It's feels clunky, slow, and I'm not satisfied.

I'm worried I'm screwed and stuck with this DVR with no recourse. Would you call D* and ask for a different box on their dime? I'm not one to complain or be a baby or be manipulative to get my way, but if this is how this HR22-100 is going to be, I am p|ssed and will fight if I have to or make multiple calls or do whatever it takes to get a different box or something that's not dog-slow.

Or, and I can accept this...do I just need to "cool it" and wait the 24 to 72 hours for all the VOD, TV Apps and such to "load" and everything will be hunky-dory? I have no logos for any of the channels either like I used to with my regular HD receiver. I've been with D* for almost all of 13 years since 1999 (had to suspend my acct for a little while when I was laid off a job).

What do you all think? Thanks for reading this, I appreciate hearing what you all in think.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    A new DVR install does take time to perform background tasks (indexing, downloading the guide, etc).
    Its possible it will be faster after all that is complete (48 hours). If not any better Sunday, then I would call DirecTv and explain your case. Remembering there is no guarantee of getting any certain model, if you explain you asked and were told you were going to get an HR24, perhaps you will be able to get them to cut you a deal on an HR34 (the 5 tuner model), which is equal in speed to the HR24, and while you may not use the 5 tuners, you probably will use the extra 500GB of hard drive space it offers, and perhaps the PIP function.

The HR34 is the only model you can get guaranteed on an order. Since you already are stuck with a 2 yr commitment, might as well upgrade now rather than later.

3. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Very sorry to hear it. HR22 is from 2008, shame that you didn't decline it. It may be best to call and see what they can do.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Try setting up the quick channels (up arrow), might be the easiest and fastest way to do channel changes (to your 9 most commonly viewed).

I also agree with giving it 24 to 48 hours to stabilize. Each reset makes it start over.

I've got a 22-100 and it's acceptable to me. I've also got an HR24-500 and honestly it doesn't seem that much faster (but yes, it is faster).

5. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Thank you for this so far. About 30 minutes ago the channel logos showed up. Again, not a big deal, but was happy to see them.

I just did a button press on the remote for Channel Down, to go from local ABC to local NBC. It took like :05 seconds of black screen to fully change the channel.

I don't like the prospect of paying more money to get an HR34 (got more homework to do now), I'd rather they find a way to get me an HR24 like they "promised." I get that they can't promise, but I did take down the name of the folks I spoke to, so I may try that.

Sigh. I'm already regretting this decision. Besides the DVR functions, the main reason I got this DVR upgrade was to use my iPad to stream channels as our second TV. I don't want another TV in our little house & that part works great. The app works nicely & streaming is terrific.

What I don't want is this 4-year-old slow, prodding DVR if its going to be so slow like this. I don't mind the 2-year contract, I'm not going anywhere. I just want something newer. I'll wait 48 hours until I call and raise some questions, unless some of you think otherwise. Maybe I should've declined it. I dunno.

6. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Ask them if they will refund you if you lease one from Solid Signal or another retailer to make sure you get a HR24.They did this for me several years ago on a HR20. If they agree make sure the CSR put it in your account notes.

7. kikkenit2

kikkenit2 Icon

Oct 25, 2006
    I have been operating 7 hr20/21/22 simultaneous on my tv for several years. All of them are slow, but the hr22 was the slowest model made. I had to have one "break" with the pp to get a hr20 instead. Do whatever you have to do, but get rid of that model dvr.

8. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Turn native off and select the resolution of your TV.

ABC was 720p and NBC is 1080i, and even the good running HR24 can take 8 sec to change with native on.

9. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    All HD DVRs are very slow when compared to a non DVR HD receiver.
    If you do not let it bug you too much you can get used to it after a few weeks of using it.
    That was the first thing we noticed when we upgraded to HD was how slow the DVR was compared to what we had been using.
    The thing is, if you find shows to record each night and play today / night what you recorded the night before it becomes kinda irrelevant. About the only things I watch live are some sports on the weekend.
    Good luck.

10. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I still have HR20s and an HR21 that are still working great, they're not slow. I also have 2 HR24s. You got the DVR for free? If you did then you know what they say about a gift horse. You definitely don't need an HR34 in your situation and an HR24 is just under $200 shipped at abt. Is it worth it? You need to decide but hang with the one you have for a while and like VOS said turn native off and just check the 1080i box then see if you get used to it. Good luck!

11. smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    This will fix the black screen between channel changes, but will do little to fix the general slowness of the HDDVR.

What to do.....? <shrugs shoulders>

The best way to avoid this is to refuse installation of an HR22. You could try to do a "Reset Everything" through the System Settings and that will occasionally make it better. Outside of that, it would take an upgrade to get rid of it.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Not only the black screens but will reduce the tuning time too.

13. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Thank you all for your advice on this. I called D* this morning after sillily being up most of the night worried about what would happen & what to do. I got transferred to a CSR who said I was a "Top Tier Customer" (not exactly sure what that means, but...glad I am one?) and they would be willing to help me. To answer an earlier question, I did not get the HD DVR for free. I paid for it ($99 + taxes/fees/such). It is an HR22-100 that's every bit as old as its model.

The call was a positive experience. I told them exactly what I posted earlier & after more research told them the box I had was 4 years old (thanks for posting that, BTW). It's still been slow & prodding this morning, more than 12 hours after the install, even though it appears as if things "caught up" via updates over the internet & such. I realize I am a little impatient...

The folks I spoke with at D* were helpful, and said they would give me a brand new out of the box HR34. And they're not going to charge me anything either. Though, that remains to be seen. I've received that line before only to have to call back and haggle with D* over what they promised and ask for credits. I took good notes with day, date & time plus the guy I spoke to...so we'll see how it goes.

A local install is supposed to be coming tomorrow morning (Sunday) between 8a-12p (hopefully before NFLST begins). If things work out as the CSR told me it would and they really do bring by a new HR34, I'll be thrilled. I'll be more patient this time as I await things getting set up. But at least I won't have 4-year-old tech for the money I spent. And I'll know better for next time, that I can decline a box or product I don't like or want. So, seems like it'll be a happy outcome. Thanks again everyone for your help on this.

14. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    That's great. So happy that it worked out.

You'll love the HR34. It's fairly new so there's still a few little quirks to work out but we're here to help.

You're getting a box that can record 5 shows at once, has 1TB of storage for at least 200 hours of HD, it can do picture-in-picture, and supports up to 3 remote boxes accessing recordings on it. There's a few other nice features as well.

You did great, and should sleep well tonight.

Some may comment on a few little things but all should be good.

15. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Great news. Thanks for posting this. I'm glad to still be a part of this community for over 10 years now. I don't post a ton but read plenty, so thank you for all your help!

Question: the installer that was here on Friday had to make some kind of change to my LNB set up, he said it wasn't set up to record shows, there was just one line run. So I'm guessing he installed a multiswitch? He had to go up on the roof where my dish is mounted.

Since it sounds like I'm getting a receiver that can record up to 5 shows at once, will the next installer have to make yet another change? The last guy made it sound like he set up my dish/LNB to record just 2 shows at once. Maybe i misunderstood him, which is completely possible. He had a rather thick accent.

Think this next guy will have to go up there again? I already have the "Cinema Pack" or whatever it's called.

Again I have zero need to record 5 shows at once with just 1 TV in our little town home and a 3-person family. Ill take the capability mind you, but would hate to make the guy break out the 40-foot ladder to go up on my roof again.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The real question is:

Do you now have two coax to the receiver or still have only one?

If he ran a second coax, then the LNB will need to be changed for the HR34.

If you still have one coax, then he has already made the change.

17. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Will comment in a little bit ... but in the meantime ... from the DVR, hit the DASH button on the remote control (bottom left), and post what gets displayed. Please XXX out the numbers for privacy reasons.

This is similar to what VOS is asking, but you won't need to look at the wiring.

18. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Easier to just press the Dash key and see if it's SWiM connected. ;)

19. BearsFan

BearsFan Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Whew. Sunday was a busy day. Got the HR34 installed. I'm at work already today (Monday), and the HR34 worked GREAT for NFL Sunday Ticket and just overall. I recorded 2 games. I did notice that changing channels did slow down pretty decently when there were multiple recordings going on, but in all honestly it was still faster than operating that HR22/100 I was first saddled with when there were no recordings going on. HUGE difference.

So now comes the waiting game for the next D* bill, so I can call them and ask for more credits when they screw up my account. Without fail, every single time I've made any kind of change to my programming or account, they get something wrong and I have to call in and ask for credits. That's a pain, but not the end of the world.

Yup am SWiM enabled; the installer that brought the HR34 out just had me plug it in with just swapping cables from the HR22/100 & it worked.

I'm a little perplexed by the "On Demand" stuff. It's still loading I know, as it's now been about 26 hours as of this post since it was installed & I didn't turn it on this morning. From what I saw of the On Demand menus, searching is a bit clunky and how it works isn't clear. I found a Mad Men episode I wanted to sample in the On Demand menu; I tried every button press I could to try to get it to play and it wouldn't. Now on the "Quick Guide" or whatever it's called (Blue button on the D* remote) there's a little dog-eared corner on channel 254, the channel that plays Mad Men. So I have no idea what this means. I've looked at the manual a little online, but haven't dug deep yet to try and figure out what's going on & why On Demand isn't playing.

Otherwise, I'm very grateful for all of you in this community for the advice and help. And thankful that D* still has pretty solid customer service & agreed to do something they really didn't need to by swapping out a piece of 4-year-old technology for something from the current decade.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You need to "record" it.