1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got off the phone with D* on Genie. This can't be true - can it?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Tidalcloud, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1 of 13
    Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud Mentor

Sep 18, 2007
    the sticks...
    During the call I was debating between taking a Genie upgrade plus two clients or just the Genie. I have a few DVRs that have alot of recordings on externals. I mentioned this and the rep indicated that as long as the recordings were on an external drive that I would be able to use them with the Genie - that the recordings were married to the account. Perplexed, but hopeful, I asked if this was new. The rep responded that it had been this way as long as they had been working there - about 2 years. I questioned it a few more times and was assured each time. In addition - the rep indicated that I would only need a USB external drive. When I questioned this, again hopeful, I was again assured that USB drives work and that they had been using USB for a couple of years. These two items, especially the first, would be great news if accurate but it goes against what I know.

2. Sep 2, 2013 #2 of 13
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    None of that is true unless it changed today! :)

D*'s HRs, including the Genie only work with ESATA external hard drives and the content is married to the receiver and not the account.

3. Sep 2, 2013 #3 of 13
    peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nope, you got a load of %&*%%*(^*

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

4. Sep 2, 2013 #4 of 13
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Sorry;

All wrong.

Don't know what those reps. you spoke with learned in those two years, but whatever it was they need to go back and learn it different.

5. Sep 2, 2013 #5 of 13
    peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sorry;

All wrong.

Don't know what those reps. you spoke with learned in those two years, but whatever it was they need to go back and learn it different.
    !rolling

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

6. Sep 3, 2013 #6 of 13
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I suggest adding a genie, no clients, and slowly watching down your dvrs and replacing them with clients after you have emptied them...

As others have said, totally wrong. Makes me think they used to work for dish.

7. Sep 3, 2013 #7 of 13
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    definitely you got someone from dish ... EHD by USB, linked to account instead of particular IRD ...

8. Sep 3, 2013 #8 of 13
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure if Dish used USB or e-SATA as well.

Is the TS sure it's not Dish Network he called and is confusing it with DIRECTV?

9. Sep 3, 2013 #9 of 13
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm pretty sure that:

1. A DISH CSR would have not been receptive to talking about a Genie (or an HMC, or an HR34 or an HR44).
    2. The TS seems like they know what they are doing.

Customer Service is becoming anything but and DIRECTV is demonstrating themselves as a "industry leader" in that trend.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I think you're right;

And no disrespect to the TS was intended by such a suggestion.

I just thought it was possible the TS could have been exploring many pay TV options in the past from different providers and may simply have gotten confused over who offered what feature in certain areas.

But anyway, I agree, the DIRECTV CSRs blew it big time on this and my post in #4 stands.

Though I'm sure Dish's CS is more than guilty of their own howlers as well.

11. Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud Mentor

Sep 18, 2007
    the sticks...
    I wasn't speaking with a DISH rep. I was speaking with DirecTV.

I was speaking with DirecTV. The rep had been with them for two years and seemed very sure. She was very nice and I didn't want to turn it into an argument so I let it go and then hopped up here.

12. Tidalcloud

Tidalcloud Mentor

Sep 18, 2007
    the sticks...

Great minds - right. Exactly what I was thinking. By then we may have new clients out. wireless, support for more than 3 clients, maybe even allowing more than one Genie.

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the new wireless clients are already out for select markets