1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got offered Genie, smart move?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Snapaniac, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Snapaniac

Snapaniac Mentor

Sep 14, 2010
    Just got off the phone with Directv. Had to have a box replaced (HR24) because it had over heating problems. Anyway, the girl on the phone said I was eligible for an upgrade. Either a free HD-DVR or a Genie (with 3 clients) for $99.

After talking to her and asking questions, I decided to get the Genie but keep my 3 HR24s. I chose that because she said that I couldn't pause live TV if I was watching TV through one of the clients (C31).

From what I read, it looks like many of you have a Genie and still other DVR boxes.

Besides the smaller box and the less power, is there any other reason I should've chosen to get the clients for the Genie instead of keeping my HR24s?

Installer will need to install an SWiM 16. From what I've read, that should be a simple swap? He shouldn't have to run additional cables?

I value the opinions from you guys, it would greatly be appreciated!

2. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    The C31 uses Ethernet IP packets over the coax line (DECA) to receive signals from the Genie. Each C31 in itself has full access to the Genie and all of its functionality. Its like having 4 DVRs BUT sharing the Genie's 5 tuners. On the C31 you can pause live TV, set up recordings, monitor scheduled recordings, anything you could do on the DVR itself.

They have no tuners though and so when on and watching "live" programming they will consume one of the Genie's tuners each. When off or viewing recorded programming from the Genie "its tuner" is available to the Genie for recording.

The only downside is that if the Genie is rebooting all the C31s are offline till the Genie completes its boot. But it boots faster than any one of your current two tuner DVRs ever will.

OH and the Genie is capable of playing back recorded materials to three receivers at once via it's DECA stream so ALL clients can be watching different recorded programming unlike the standard DVR that is limited to a single stream.

As just an additional DVR the Genie offers 5 tuners of recording pleasure and can serve up to 3 Whole Home client streams to other DVRs/HD Receivers at one time. So it's a lot like having 3 DVRs in a single box but with only 5 tuners.

Don "it is the way of the future" Bolton

3. vapor21

vapor21 Cool Member

Sep 1, 2012
    She is wrong. You can pause and rewind live tv from the C31. When you record you record from the HR34. When you are watching tv from one of the clients it uses one of the HR34 tuners. So, if two people are watching tv from two clients and the other one is not being use, you are down to three tuners instead of five. All the clients are watching tv you are down to two tuners. You are better off with keeping your HR24s imo but that's just me.

4. cwtech

cwtech Mentor

Oct 12, 2012
    the clients can pause live tv and rewind, it works just like a dvr because it is using one of the tuners from the genie(hr34). If I was you and in your case, I would also kept your other hr24s just for more recording space and options for recording.

5. hound9p

hound9p New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    The only HD-DVR function the Genie clients (C31) cannot do is delete recorded programming. You have to do that on the Genie itself. This will hopefully be corrected in a future software update.

6. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    This will not be an ongoing issue.

7. hound9p

hound9p New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    That would be a good thing. I should add that apparently if you have a Genie and one or more other older HD DVRs, you don't lose delete capability because you still must have Whole Home service. My setup, which I think will be fairly common, is a Genie and two clients, so I am longer eligible for or need Whole Home (and its $3 monthly fee). (I deactivated my old HR20/21s.)

8. ebox4greg

ebox4greg AllStar

Dec 2, 2012
    WRONG! I can delete movies I've recorded anywhere from any C31. of course, you have to have Whole Home DVR service configured.

9. hound9p

hound9p New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    NOT WRONG! You saw my second post, I hope. I don't have a second HD DVR so Whole Home is not available to me anymore (of course most of the Whole Home functionality is available with Genie and clients). Now, even if Whole Home was available with a Genie-only setup, I'm not going to pay a monthly fee for it just I can can delete via Genie clients.