1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Installed the internet do I need the Phone line?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Rubbernecker, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rubbernecker

Rubbernecker Mentor

Jan 17, 2007
    Hey all, I recently got my hr20 hooked up to the internet and my home computer, which is very cool. Do I still need to have the phone line connected? In fact other than pay per view, what is the phone line on the hr20 for?

Second, now that I can see my photos on the tv through the hr20 is there anyway to speed up the slide show or change any of the slide show variables.

Thanks for the help.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Pretty much PPV is it.

No, right now with the current Media software on the HR20, there are minimal options (As in none)

3. gregftlaud

gregftlaud Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2005
    so basically right now all connecting your hr20 to an ethernet cable will do is just give u the ablility to connect to your pc right? or are there other features it enables?

4. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Nope that is about it from the user end...... for now.

5. Duffinator

Duffinator Legend

Oct 24, 2006
    Don't forget the caller ID function.

I just networked my new HR20 in my HT last night and it's successfully connected. But I can't figure out how to view photos or stream music. Is there a tutorial on how to use the photo and music functions?

6. rminsk

rminsk Legend

Dec 4, 2006
    It reports some information back to DirecTV.

7. Rubbernecker

Rubbernecker Mentor

Jan 17, 2007
    thanks for the answer

8. MIJBFAN

MIJBFAN Cool Member

May 27, 2007
    I have the same question Now I don't have to ask.

9. 4DThinker

4DThinker Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    I just wish they would exploit that internet connection more. I'd love to be able to see a web site mentioned on a TV show, have a small window pop up on the screen saying "Press OK to Connect to (web site mentioned)? OF course it should also be a feature you could disable.

10. Duffinator

Duffinator Legend

Oct 24, 2006
    That would be cool, someday.

11. m4p

m4p Legend

Apr 12, 2007
    Yes, check out the first post by Milominderbinder2 here for tips and tricks. There is a link there too for Networking Tips:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72648

12. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    The phone connections is not needed for any D* activities, but if you have/want Caller ID, then you need to have it connected.

13. GusRandall

GusRandall Cool Member

Dec 15, 2006
    So if I connect via internet instead of phone, I can still get local channels, pay-per-view, and Sunday ticket?

14. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    It does not matter if you are connected to a phone line or internet. You can get your locals and sunday ticket no matter what. As far as PPV goes if you are not connected to a phone line you need to order it online or by phone. The internet will not help with this. That may change later but DIRECTV has not said.

15. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Local channels yes. Has nothing to do with your phone connection.

Pay-Per-View yes, but w/o the phone line you can't purchase and watch the PPV with your remote. You have to go online to do that, as in with another computer (not the HR). or call.

Sunday Ticket yes. Has nothing to do with your phone connection.

16. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    A point of clarification as I understand it. Yes the various sports packages will work without a phoneline. However, if D* actually someday decides to enforce the phone line requirement, then it will be needed. If you have a landline, why not just leave it plugged in?

It is also needed for some game lounge features.

17. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    The OP may be referring to the fact that if he has DSL, and has now replaced the phone line cable near the HR-20 with DSL, does he have to bother with including the phone line as well. At least that's my guess.

18. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    That would be very cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.