1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just need to Vent

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rtwdwk, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtwdwk

rtwdwk New Member

May 3, 2007
    I switched over to a HR20 about 6 months ago from a SD Tivo.
    I finally got used to the HR20 interface and everything was working well.

All of a sudden it hangs up on me. Did all the reset tricks. Called DTV, forced a software update but the unit would not complete a reboot. Lost many hours of programs.

DTV ships me a new (refurb) unit. Get it all hooked up, and right away it starts to hang up. Picture freezes but sound keeps playing. Goes in to reboot mode at will.

Call DTV tell them I need another new unit, they tell me its probably a single problem.
    I tell them the signal is fine, according to the set up screens. Also all my other TVs are running fine. DTV sets up a service call.

Today service guy comes out, I tell him problem he checks the dish and lines and finds no problems. We reboot the HR20 turn to a hidef channel and it locks up the box.

He has to call DTV in order for them to send me another HR20.

So no I wait again.

Any one has any other tricks I can try out while I wait.

2. gazzie4

gazzie4 Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    unplug it for about an hour, then when it comes back up, do a reformat...if that still doesn't work, do the above and then force a download to re download the latest software

3. chris-in-hills

chris-in-hills Cool Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Welcome to the forum. Also, welcome to the world of DirecTV's lack of quality control. Your experience is not that unusual in that many others like myself have experienced this class of problems.

I too am a fairly new (3 weeks) HD customer after many years of trouble-free SD Tivo enjoyment but have run into many disappointing "rough around the edges" problems with the HR20. Had some problems with the HD programming sources too.

After you get your new unit, and after you log some time with the HR20 you will probably settle into a mode where it is fine most of the time.

I have found this forum to be a great place to come for help and feedback like this.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.