1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just needed to share ....

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dmurphy, Aug 25, 2008.

1. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I just finished booking some airline tickets, a rental car, hotel room, and launch transportation tickets ... for the Space Shuttle launch October 8th.

I'm SO EXCITED - I can't wait! My dad and I decided it was finally time to get our collective act together and go see a shuttle launch. He and I are both very avid space program fans, and so seeing a shuttle launch is one of those "lifetime dream" sort of events for us! Launch tickets went on sale this morning at 9:00am. They were sold out by 9:06am - but I already had mine by then :)

... now I have to hope that NASA doesn't scrub the launch ... I made sure to purchase airline tickets that are easily changed (Southwest Airlines), so if the launch scrubs or moves before we fly down, we'll be OK.

I don't think words will convey just how excited I am. I can't wait!!!

So - has anyone witnessed a launch (I'm sure some of you have!) - any tips ??? We purchased the "launch transportation" package online, which includes tickets to the Causeway - about 6 miles from the launch pad. Has anyone done this? Is the view any good?

I'm totally unconcerned with photography, since a) It's a night launch; and b) I want to fully experience it....

Thanks for letting me vent - I just had to share!

2. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    make sure to spend some time looking around the facility. they have a lot of very interesting things on display. for some weird reason, i also really like their freeze-dried food; the ice-cream and french fries are my favorites.

i've never seen a shuttle launch from the cape; only further away up the coast. it was still pretty neat.

i hope you have a good trip.

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Hopefully Richard King will see your post, he seem very knowledgeable about the launches, he lives nearby. I'm sure he will give you some tips, maybe you could send him a note, enjoy your trip.

4. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    ;) Take a look around here for some pictures: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/root&page=all You should be able to sort out the shuttle launch topics.

I've mentioned this before, but here it goes again....
    MANY years ago I came to Orlando for a convention that happened to be just a few days short of launch #2 for the shuttle. I stayed in town for the launch and spent the night before the launch in a hotel in Cocoa Beach. The day of the launch I got up bright and early to get a good spot on the beach. As I was leaving the hotel I noticed a peice of paper on the floor, and, in doing my civic duty, picked it up to throw it away. I looked at it first and noticed that on one side it said "VIP PASS" in large black letters with a bright red background. On the other side was a map. I jumped in the car, stuck the paper on the dashboard and was waved through several gates at the launch facility (no security or background checks back then) and ended up at the press area next to one of the countdown clocks. I THINK I was about 3 miles away. The experience of the SOUND from that thing at that distance was amazing. Bring a camera, but also, if you have one, bring a video recorder to capture sound and video. I may be in the neighborhood also, probably at my usual spot in Titusville, where the sound doesn't compare.

5. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    As Richard King mentions... it is the awesome sound, which you will feel down into your bones. It will be the most breathtaking experience of your life that isn't related to family. The only that has ever beat that for me was seeing the launch of Apollo 14 in January of 1971... The Saturn 5 booster makes a shuttle launch pale in comparison.

6. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    We're hoping to take my 4 year old to one of the last couple of launches, if we can get OUR collective acts together. I've got the last two launches saved on my DVR so we can watch them on a rainy day - he just thinks those are the coolest thing ever!

When my wife and I got married, we honeymooned in Orlando (yes, we're big kids at heart and HAD to get to the Dr. Seuss stuff at Universal!).

We finished out one day at Universal and walked out to the parking garage and saw a bunch of people lined up along the edge of the parking garage - looking out, we presumed at the street. We figured there must be some accident or something and so nobody was leaving. We made our way over there in time to see a bright red streak across the sky.

Everyone was lined up watching a shuttle launch. I had no idea there was a launch scheduled while we were there, we just happened to see it from a distance.

And even at that distance, it's impressive to see the path of smoke/flame shooting across the sky.... I can't even begin to imagine how it must be 'up close and personal'.

Hopefully we'll get the chance to find out!

dmurphy... have fun, and let us all know how it goes!