1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Sold My House, Now What?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Fluthy, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
    I just sold my house on Friday and close on May 20th. We currently do no have a new house to move into and may need to move into an apartment for a short period of time. What are my DirecTV options?

1) Suspend my account? Does this cost me anything, how long can you suspend?
    2) Just end my service and re-up when we move into a new place?

If we find a new place, what are my options?
    I currently have an HR24 and HR22 and have my own network MRV. Can I get new equipment for the new house or will I just need to keep what I have? I believe moving installation cost nothing, so would I get DECA at my new place free of charge? Could I just get a couple client machines with the Genie? Just curious on if now would be a good time to make the move to this setup. Thanks!

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Suspend for 6 months at a time, once a year.
    Quit and get all sorts of re-up offers when you do get your new house.

3. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    If I recall correctly it will have to be about a year before they new customer offers. If they are currently under a commitment they would have to pay the pro-rated ETF also.

4. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    I would suspend and then get the Movers Connect deal. This will get you new equipment as well, but you will be locked into a new 2 year contract.

Kevin

5. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    It all depends how well of a loyal customer you were prior to canceling, then a couple days later or even hours they'll call to persuade you to return with new/returning customer discounts, even throw a couple receivers for free with installation. But if under contract then suspend service first(amount balance paid required) then if they find a new place then they can do the mover route.

6. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I got some seemingly attractive offers from DirecTV after being gone for less than two months.

I passed.

7. Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
    I have been a customer for 10 years now... get Sunday Ticket every year. I guess I would rather suspend my account. I plan to stay with DirecTV as they are the best bang for the buck. I will have to look into the movers connection deal, I was not aware of that. Thanks!

8. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You can suspend your account and get the Movers Connection when you move into your new home. That's what we did a few years ago when we sold our old home.

9. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    If you don't have any required contract time, you have the most flexibility. Personally I probably would suspend given my own situation. Or I'd do a quick and dirty install in the apt. myself so I can keep the service, and then have the movers connection setup the house. (But I'm lucky in that I have a spare dish.)

Peace,
    Tom

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I have old dishes all over my garage. 18", 3 phase, two AT9's...and a slimline. Gotta have a spare dish :)

11. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    From what I understand, the customer has to be away from DirecTV for 2 years to re qualify for brand new customer offers.

12. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    So does the thread starter. It's on the house he just sold!!! ;)

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Depending on the real estate contract, he may have just sold his 'spare' dish!

14. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I think it depends on a per account basis, and how well you were as a loyal customer,payment history, Then they'll be happy to take you back with discounts:)