1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just what are you expecting from DBS?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Mark Holtz, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Okay, enough is enough. Please tell us why you got DBS in the first place.

I got my Dish system because of the antics of the local cable system, expecially after the ownership changed from Comcast to AT&T Broadband. I electeed to get Dish because it carries both the locals (also available on DirecTV) and UPN/WB Superstations, plus a no-fee PVR. Part of the reason I even had cable in the first place was because of my mother. (Long story).

What I wasn't expecting was a home theater experience. That's why I don't subscribe to any of the movie channels beyond the AT150 package. I have an extensive DVD collection.

2. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    My family first got DBS because our C-Band dish got hit by lightning. An installer quoted us as an almost $1000 price to fix and "upgrade" everything. My mom decided to get the $400 Dish Network system with a Dish 300, and she moved out. We now have a Dish 500 and a 61.5 dish.

3. Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I got dbs when I moved into my new house because the cable system in the area was absolutely awful. Now I have their cable modem... go figure.

4. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    Initially I wanted Dish Network for MTV2, but after careful research I realized that the benefits of DBS extended far beyond that one channel. I saw that the price was reasonable, the picture quality was nice, and the channel selection was far better than what Cablevision had to offer. Everyone in the house was fed up with Cablevision's garbage, so I finally talked my parents into getting Dish. It worked out real nice because we got 3 free months of the movie premiums, a free Dish 500 system and reciever, free basic installation, a free dish cover from the dealer, and my neighbor got a $50 credit on his Dish Network bill for "recommending" us. Now we're a bunch of happy campers. :)

5. gopherscot

gopherscot Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    i got into satellite for the sports ... I grew up in Minnesota and missed all the Minnesota sports. I was lucky enough, when moving to Iowa, that I was still in the Fox North open area. Without sports I would have stayed with cable.

6. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I had a C-Band dish and changed to Dish Network because I didn't want to deal with the upkeep costs. I also started to hate having to wait practically 2 minutes just to switch from VH1 to KTLA.

I don't regret switching over but now I wish I had kept the C-Band dish just for fun.

7. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I switched to DBS because of Babylon 5. Seriously...AT&T broadband in Denver finished their "rebuild" in my area, and the Sci-Fi channel got moved from digital cable in very nice stereo to analog mono. After 3 different cable csr's told me that the problem was with my setup, or that I expected too much and it was only tv, I said to hell with them and went with Dish. Dish because at the time directv didn't have KWGN and KTVD (WB and UPN in Denver). PQ was much better on my former 27" tv, and it didn't go out everytime there was a storm nearby. In fact, I have yet to experience rain fade, or snow fade for that matter.

Now, PQ isn't nearly as good in my eyes as it was last year when I got it - mostly because I went from a 27" tv to a 51" HDTV. I can live with that, though, because of the HD offerings...but of course, I want it to get better. :D I'm a reasonably happy Dish customer, although if Charlie comes out and says he's not going to carry the new Discovery HD, and directv does, I'm outta here as far as Dish is concerned.

8. EricG

EricG Godfather

Mar 28, 2002
    I was tired of being under the thumb of the local cable company. 12+ years of that - time for a change!

9. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Two words -

CABLE SUCKS :D

10. Mike

Mike Icon

Apr 9, 2002
    I had cable at my parents house until 1988. I got a used c-band dish in 1988 in Phoenix. I wanted it for "west coast teams" and the "west coast satellite" to see my home teams here in So Cal. My dad was in sales and he found a dealer going out of business and I got it hooked up at the house. I was just out of high school and in my 1st year of college and still living at home. Cost $600 total and that included the installing. Receiver was a dial one separate from the motor unit. It was the display model that was circa 1983 from what they told me. I had cable and 2 TV's, but I wanted more. I just didn't know what I was getting myself into though :). I race home for college on October 4th of 1988 to have them install the dish. 10 ft one. Thing was huge. Needed a pole and cement and lots of wires. My mom freaked that night. :) I was in heaven. They put the dish up in the backyard and run the wires to my bedroom from the outside to the front of the house and into the bedroom. I remember them getting Dr. Gene Scott on the Westar 5 satellite. That helped the installers find the arc. I played with that thing all night. Just c-band, not Ku yet. No descrambler, but sports wasn't scrambled then anyway except for HSE on F1/10. I loved that thing. Dropped cable the next day in the bedroom. Parents still had it in the front room. I didn't get TBS and those things as they were videocypher scrambled, but I got backhauls and that was fine with me :). I still have Arsenio Hall doing play-by-play of the Cavs network with Joe Tait from 1989 at the Forum. Arsenio did the whole 2nd half play-by-play and was pretty good.

We moved to California in 1989 and the dish came with us. My brother, dad and I installed it ourselves this time and still for my bedroom.

In 1996, I moved. Parents were already moved out, but I had stayed with the house cuz of the dish. I had 3 descramblers by that time (2 +'s and the old VCII and another kind). Parents moved back into the house and my brother moved out. I moved into an apartment in 1996 in Phoenix. C-band dish stayed at the house. They tore it apart within a month. Motor went one way and that was that. I was ticked off. Came home that Xmas and couldn't fix it. I swore when DirecTV came out that I would never ever never ever get it. Picture quality just stunk compared to c-band. Still does somewhat though. I had no choice. Had to get DirecTV for the EI games which were then in it's 1st year on DirecTV. Got Dish Network on March 4th of 1997 (next year) for KTLA (Dodgres) and Game Show Network (Missed it from c-band and it wasn't on DirecTV yet). I wanted the East and West Coast network feeds as I was spoiled on c-band with the then in-the-clear feeds and the PT24 feeds on F2 and I was able to get them on DirecTV and Dish Network. When PrimeStar came out, I wanted that for KABC (Todd Donoho and Monday Night Live), but DirecTV changed all of the West Coast feeds in July of 1998 and KABC was chosen, so I was happy. I got 1 Ku dish in October of 1996 in Phoenix for the analog ku feeds and I also got a 5 ft c-band dish in 1998 that I just moved by hand. Didn't get much bot the Telstar 5 and G4 birds were okay most of the time.

Now it's 1999, I have DirecTV, Dish at 61.5 for Sky Angel (could get it in Pheonix) Dish at 119 and 148 and my 5 ft c-band dish and 1 Ku dish. All made the trip with me back to California and are here at this apartment. I've added a 2nd Ku dish. Dish is scaled back to just the supers and networks and all is well so far. I get c-band from AMC 2 to AMC 1, but I have to move the dish by hand and it's tough to find the birds when I have to put the dish on something to keep it in place. I mostly mess with it at night as I'm on the bottom floor and I ain't suppose to have dishes this big. :) It's out for baseball season especially on the weekends. Picture quality is good on the newer c-band birds. Ku works great. Next investment will be a MPEG receiver.

I got satellite TV for just one reason really. That's sports. Have enjoyed the network shows ahead of time and days before they hit the air. Left channel beep, right channel beep. In phase, out of phase! I've got the Cheers/Jay Leno show on tape from the last day of Cheers in 1992 and lots of other great things. I've enjoyed c-band, ku-band, DirecTV and Dish Network. I like the little systems because it's cheaper if you have more than one receiver and I have 7 for DirecTV. Each descrambler on c-band has and still does require a separate subscription. I had 2 subscriptions for the NFL when the Sunday Ticket started in 1994 on T3 c-band. I also remember when the NFL tried to scramble in 1990 and BUD and other sponsors got behind to squash that idea. I love satellite tv, will never go back to cable for any reason. Even if I lose sports, I still have WABC and WCBS on DirecTV and Dish, and if I get MPEG then who knows what's on there from Vermont or Arkansas or wherever. :) C-band still gets me ABC as even though they were the 1st network to scramble via leitch (NBC tested it in 1989 on c-band only), there are still lots of times these feeds are unscrambled. ABC CFB is not backhaul scrambled anymore to boot!

11. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    If you had to have AT&T Broadband of Kalispell, it would be obvious why DBS is the only realistic option. Maybe the company who bought the local cable system (Bresnan Communications) which promises great things will deliver. Maybe not. We'll know by fall.

12. markh

markh Hall Of Fame

Mar 24, 2002
    No cable out here in the sticks. They have cable in the small towns around us but cable co will never run cable 5 miles for the few of us out here.

Sports, news, entertainment, it's all on the little dish. Many Badger games are now on FOXN, that's a big reason for having DBS.

13. ToddHealy

ToddHealy Cool Member

Apr 24, 2002
    I got DirecTV last August for 3 reasons.
    1. Better picture quality - my picture with cable stunk.
    2. More channels - I wanted more of the 'cable' channels that my cable company doesn't carry.
    3. DirecTiVo - Dual tuners were just about to be activated! This is the big one for me. If it weren't for DirecTiVos I might have gone with Dish or even just stayed with cable.

14. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    ->Better picture quality
    ->Cheaper Pricing (more bang for your buck)
    ->More channels (for cheaper)
    ->Flexible (take it camping, move without having to wait for calbe company to reconnect your cable service and charging you for it)
    ->More technological features (pvr units, onscreen controllable program guide, browse feature, timers, etc)
    ->Better customer service and faster (in some instances, not always)

15. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I lived in my RV and I just got tired of dragging that really, really, really long black wire behind the camper whenever I drove to Myrtle Beach. One time a really big 18-wheeler drove right over it (the wire) and really, really messed it up. So I got this motorized dish thing up on the roof that moves around a lot when I'm driving on Skyline Drive. I stuck a 27" TV in the dash so I can watch some of my cousins on Jerry Springer and Maury. Yesterday, while I was driving to the 7-11, on Maury they had to test five guys before they could find out who the father of some slut's baby was. I missed the answer cuz I was in the store when they said who it was. So I guess you could say I got satellite cuz I had cable before and it really, really sucked ...a lot.

16. Edward E Suleski

Edward E Suleski Mentor

Apr 23, 2002

Which in your opinion is better DBS or C-Band?

17. pmichael

pmichael Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    I dumped cable for DISH about a month ago because:

1) much better channel selection
    2) better overall value
    3) more advanced technological features(EPG/favorites/themes)
    4) my local cable company is horrible

18. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Well, it really depends on your viewing habits. C-Band has excellent PQ and a nice selection of channels to watch for free and by subscription. There is no rain fade and very few technical problems with the receivers.

On the other hand, DBS is much easier and cheaper to install and maintain. Also, since everyone in my family have different viewing habits, being able to have all channels available on 2 or more receivers was a must in my household. With C-Band, you just can't do that.

C-Band is great from a hobbiest point of view but if you want versatility at a reasonable price and don't care about "wild feeds", DBS is the way to go. I have spent less than a $1000 dollars on equipment for DBS and have access to several channels of HDTV, I have Dolby Digital access and have 3 receivers in different rooms with access to all channels at the same time. Such a system with C-Band would cost thousands.

19. Maniacal1

Maniacal1 Godfather/Supporter

Apr 9, 2002
    Definitely for the sports. I really had no gripes with the local cable system--they're now AT&T Broadband, but they've been bought and sold many times. We've been a local cable company, then Cox, then MediaOne, and maybe one other company in there somewhere.

The two NFL teams I follow are out of my market, and so is my favorite NBA team. Although the local professional baseball team is my favorite, I make some of my income from baseball and I enjoy the out of town games.

20. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    When I started with Dish, the local cable outlet "SUCKED" - 36 channels analog only (and all the "cable channels" were mono only). Time-Warner bought them, but didn't get around to upgrading our area for 1.5 - 2 years later. I bought my first Dish receiver in Oct 99, kept lifeline cable - 6 months later when I could get Raleigh locals on the Dish - I was gone from cable and got my 2nd receiver. Have never looked back. Since the cable upgrade, I did get a chance to see it - it looked pretty good (at least the analog part) - but now I have my investment in the IRD's and distribution system. One plus of DBS over cable - to get the HBO that I get on Dish, I'd have to get at least the Digital cable - and I think overall, I'm saving money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.