1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Justification for the MRV Fee?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by RichardMcCarty, May 23, 2010.

1. RichardMcCarty

RichardMcCarty Mentor

Jul 14, 2007
    Boom or bust: There's really no justification for DirecTV to charge a monthly subscription fee for MRV. The feature is really just a software update to enable network access between receivers, isn't it? There's no recurring cost to DirecTV to provide it, so what's their justification for charging $36 a year? "Because they can?"

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Exactly.

As with just about any other business, if it's determined that people will pay for something, they charge for it.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While I don't think anybody "likes it", this ship has sailed months ago.
    Their bottom line will see millions added to it monthly and they're in that type of business.

4. mdriskell

mdriskell AllStar

Jan 4, 2009
    Yes it was developed and tested by little elves as they slept....there was no money or investment by their part we should get it for free.

If you don't want it don't buy it....but don't fault a company for trying to make a profit...isn't that what all companies are supposed to do.

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    its helping underwrite the (supposedly) discounted deca/swm upgrades.
    it is what it is and it will not go away :(

6. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    MRV is a compelling cool feature, threads and threads of people rushing to sign up, analysis probably showed that people would pay $3/month for such a capability. Simple as that.

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I'll gladly pay the $3 and I'll say that is probably the Best Bang For My Buck that I have ever gotten!!!

Way To Go Directv, My MRV VIA DECA/SWM Upgrade is Working Perfectly and Very Fast on my HR24-500 and I have just Acquired another one to be here on Thursday.

Just gotta Love the HR24-500!!! FAST!!!

8. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    It was compared with Verizon FIOS and Uverse's simliar features and prices (19.95/mo for hd/dvr/whole home) so D* priced it similiarly to stay competitive..(10 + 7 + 3)

9. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    Judging by the installation price for MRV and what people are getting for it, I think a large part of the fee has to do with the relatively high install costs.

If I had 4 DVRs and a non SWM dish, a DECA install would require 5 DECAs and a new SWM LNB, and quite a bit of labor to get the new system working. The typical $150 quote for install is a pretty good deal. There is no such thing as a free lunch, so DirecTV must expect to make this money back on the MRV fee.

10. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    Sooner or later HD support is going to be like TouchTone... Ma Bell charged for it long after it actually cost more to support rotary dial phones. At some point the providers are going to realize it costs more to provide SD equipment than just HD equipment.

You literally can't give away an SD TV these days.

I think the $3/account MRV fee is a bargain. :D

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    :beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse: