1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ka Band for SD Locals?!?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by rmhopper, May 29, 2011.

1. rmhopper

rmhopper New Member

May 29, 2011
    Is anyone else frustrated by DirecTv's decision to put local SD broadcasts on the Ka band? My SD locals (Boise) have been on the 72.5 bird, which is painful enough when using a portable dish (from my RV or tailgating), but which was made not-so-painful by my VuQube's ability to store two satellite locations and switch between them. Now that I am required to pick up my SD locals on the Ka-band satellites, I have just two mobile dishes to choose from, both of which must be RV-mounted and can't be re-positioned.

Sounds like I am going to have to switch providers (but soon Dish will have p*ssed off every local broadcaster, and they may not have any local providers at all!) to keep a compact and reasonably priced setup.

2. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    You're late to the game. Most of D*s other 72.5 LiL markets are switched over to MPEG4.
    It was a decision that was made a LONG time ago.

3. rmhopper

rmhopper New Member

May 29, 2011
    Yes, I know that most of the other locals on 72.5 have already moved, and Boise was very late to the game. I guess what I don't understand is the lack of any Ka-Band solutions in the marketplace. I know that most of the 72.5 locals were small market to begin with, but one would think there is some significant pent-up demand. After all, the current mobile dish manufacturers have been promising Ka band support for several years now, but I can find only 2 products that exist. Guess I am going to have head for the garage and come up with something... ;-)

4. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Mobile ODUs do not fall under your average Directv system. And IIRC not designed by D*. Therefore, not their problem.

5. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    You can try OTA for your locals...

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Not that it matters, but I'm glad that DirecTV never got around to offering our SD locals. They went right with HD.

7. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Actually you no longer have SD locals. You only have HD locals and have to have HD equipment to see them.

Lot of people use a Slimline dish on a tripod with their RVs or when tailgating.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
  9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Putting a slimline on a tripod is the most economical solution. After practicing a bit with it, you should be able to align it reasonably well and rapidly upon arriving at a new location.

Another option to consider is a dedicated RV account where you can get DNS. SD DNS is on the 101 bird, so you would only need a single 18" dish for that.