1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KBS World comes to Dish Network in AT60 and above...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Darkman, Oct 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Saw it First reported by Scott at Satelliteguys:

------
    KBS comes to Dish Network in AT60 Package

AGREEMENT ALLOWS BROADCAST OF KOREAN BROADCASTING SYSTEM ON DISH NETWORK

LOS ANGELES & ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - Oct. 18, 2005 – Korean Broadcasting Systems (KBS), Korea’s No. 1 television network, announced that it has signed an agreement with EchoStar Communications Corporation to broadcast KBS World to DISH Network™ subscribers in the United States. KBS World, a 24-hour programming network, is available for no additional charge to eligible DISH Network customers who have a Super DISH antenna pointed at the 121-degree orbital location and currently subscribe to America’s Top 60 or above, DISH Latino or above, or the Great Wall TV Package.

KBS World programming consists of the most popular shows airing on KBS’ two broadcast networks in Korea, including highly rated dramas, in-depth documentaries and breaking news, in addition to entertainment and sports programs. Most programs are subtitled in English.

“This agreement marks the first time that a Korean television network will be offered with the purchase of a basic programming package,” said Brian Kim, chief operating officer for KBS America. “It is very meaningful for KBS to give U.S. viewers the opportunity to enjoy Korea’s unique culture through DISH Network.”

Michael Neuman, president and chief operating officer for EchoStar, said the partnership provides another opportunity for DISH Network to expand its international TV offerings.

“DISH Network has become synonymous with international programming in America and offering KBS is another way we are providing Better TV for All,” Neuman said.

Viewers can contact 1-888-327-4253, www.dishnetwork.com or their local retailer for more information on how to subscribe to DISH Network.

About KBS

The Korean Broadcasting System (KBS) is the sole public broadcaster of Korea. KBS America, located in Los Angeles, was established in August 2004 as the U.S. division of KBS. Since its first broadcasting station in 1947, KBS has been Korea’s leader in program production and audience service, spearheading developments in television, radio and broadcast technology. Currently, KBS operates two terrestrial channels, one satellite TV channel and seven radio channels, including a multi-lingual channel. KBS maintains a nationwide network comprised of 18 local stations, 11 overseas bureaus and six subsidiary companies.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation serves more than 11.4 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network™, the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

Media contacts:

Jeannie Jo, Marketing Director, KBS America

213-739-1111 (ext. 107)

Email: jeannie@kbs-america.com

2. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Dish Gets KBS World

10/18/2005 12:44:00 PM

EchoStar Communications Corp. has added Korean Broadcasting Systems’ KBS World to its lineup.

The 24-hour network -- which airs the most popular shows from KBS’ two broadcast networks in Korea, including dramas, documentaries, breaking news, entertainment and sports programs -- will be available free-of-charge to eligible Dish Network subscribers with “Super DISH” antennas pointed at the 121-degree orbital location who subscribe to “America’s Top 60” or above, “Dish Latino” or above, or the “Great Wall TV Package.”

“This agreement marks the first time a Korean television network will be offered with the purchase of a basic-programming package,” KBS America chief operating officer Brian Kim said in a prepared statement. “It is very meaningful for KBS to give U.S. viewers the opportunity to enjoy Korea’s unique culture through Dish Network.”

( Free Subscription might be required to read the Source for above article: http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6275280.html )

3. ilovedbs

ilovedbs Legend

Aug 18, 2005
    Here is another channel that I will not be watching.

4. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    I was suspecting something like that might happen - Since dish has KBS World now ..available at AT60 .. - Globecast today got rid of their KBS World (for now anyhow) .. that was scrambled on their platform, replacing it with MBN (Korean channel) .. that is FTA (for now anyhow) .. (EPG name KISB-6) :)

5. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Hmm.. i see DISH is offering MBN (Korean) as well .. in their Korean Variety package.. - from EKB:

MBN - CNBC MBN 703 15 121° E*9 Korean Variety & Basic Pack - mbn.mk.co.kr (same web site actually with - www.mbn.co.kr)

However - at Globecast it's FTA (for now anyhow) :)

6. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Why is this on 121 if it's "available" to top-60 and above? It should at least be on the "wing sats".

Who is going to put up a Superdish for one extra channel?

7. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Someone maybe... ;)

Could be from Korean origin ( more chances...) :)

8. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    Thanks for sharing

9. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    I don't think he ment it cuz of lack of 121's location on his end ..and ch 9850 accordingly.. :D

10. SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer Godfather

Feb 20, 2005
    Where do you see at Globecast that KBS is off there and MBN there now? I went to their web site and I didn't see it.

11. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    at my FTA receiver, pointed to IA5 :D

Never mind their web site.. it's often out-dated / not updated.. - even though lately, getting somewhat better than before :)

12. SummitAdvantageRetailer

SummitAdvantageRetailer Godfather

Feb 20, 2005
    On Lyngsat's site, they still list KBS available on the IA5. They don't list MBN on there, so Lyngsat is a little slow on the update too?!

13. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Yawn... :rolleyes:

14. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    This (KBS World being replaced by MBN) occured at Globecast only yesturday (Oct 20th) .. - and the latest Lyngsat update is when? - lol .. Oct 18 or 19th i believe... (as of this moment anyhow) ;)

So, logic is - wait until Oct 20th, or 21th Lyngsat's update - and who knows.. if some contributor contributes this contribution (this change) to Lyngemark (who runs Lyngsat), who is physically located in Europe somewhere (i think Sweden) .. - THEN .. this change will be mentioned at Lyngsat...

Do NOT forget .. or keep it in mind - Lyngsat's info comes mainly from voluntary contributors' contributions :)

P.S. Whatcha yawning about there, Nick.... :grin:

15. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I don't get it. The only subs who will actally see this channel are Koreans with 121 Superdishes and the few "anglo" subs whose locals are on 121. If they really wanted to put this in AT-60 and above they need to mirror it on the wing sats. If there is English content on this channel I may watch it form time to time, if I'm supposed to get it (I', AT-120) then it should be placed on a satellite that more "AT" subs have. I realize that not everyone has a wing sat, however I'm willing to bet more do than don't due to the "split" LIL's and/or Sky Angel.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    If it is English it would be nice to put it on channel 266 on 110. Right next to China Central's English channel.

JL

17. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Who knows.. - maybe DISH will read this thread.. and decide to do something to accomodate others as well.. ( You know.. - the ones without 121, etc, lol ) ;)

18. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003

Yes. Dish, please do that. Some of us are very interested in channels from overseas, and KBS is one of the premier broadcasters in SouthEast Asia.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.