1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep the "Independence" in Independence Day

Discussion in 'The OT' started by wilbur_the_goose, Jul 5, 2012.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I used to be one of those folks that really didn't like the "Happy Holidays" at Christmastime. But I was wrong - I decided to pay attention this year, and it seems that nowadays everybody says "Happy Holiday" whether it's Memorial Day, the 4th of July or Christmas.

People aren't being anti-"Christmas" by saying Happy Holidays. They're just trying to be nice.

So if you get to December and rue the loss of Merry Christmas, keep in mind that people are indeed wishing you a Merry Christmas when they say Happy Holiday :)

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's how I always saw it... I always saw "Happy Holidays" as being inclusive.

The only divisiveness I've seen are from people who have spent more time complaining about "Happy Holidays" rather than actually wishing people a Merry Christmas, if that is how they feel.

As for Independence Day... I'm not sure "Happy Independence Day" even works. I mean, I'm glad we're here and all... but it's not "happy" in the sense that some other holidays are happy, is it?

And since it was mentioned... Is saying "Happy" Memorial Day even appropriate? I mean, if you think about it... it seems kind of insensitive to me.

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I usually just say "Happy 4th".

4. Castlebill

Castlebill Legend

Jul 25, 2006
    Have always wondered what is good to say on Memorial Day -
    "Happy" doesn't fit at all.

5. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I always just tell people to enjoy their holiday.

6. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    And that is what I recall everyone saying during the 4th of July parade as well. There were a few who said 'Happy Independence Day' but for the most part, 'Happy 4th' is what came out of nearly allt he participants