1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Keep whole home as is or upgrade to Genie?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by neuronbob, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Aug 4, 2013 #1 of 13
    neuronbob

neuronbob AllStar

Apr 11, 2003
    I apologize in advance for my noobish questions. I just want to know what to ask for properly when I call into DTV service.

I have an HR20-700 in our family room, which acts as the anchor for two H24s in other rooms as our Whole Home setup. I'm not really happy with it as about 50% of the time, when I try to watch recorded material from the 20-700 on the other receivers, the system freezes up and loses the connection to the 20-700.

I've decided that this is enough reason for me to upgrade. The 20-700 is old and slow, especially when accessing VOD anyway, and I am increasingly unhappy with it. I am eligible for a free upgrade because i pay for the Protection Plan.

In any case, my options are to upgrade to a Genie with Genie Minis in each of the rooms with a TV, or to upgrade the 20-700 to an HR24 and keep the H24s. Seems to me that Genie offers a little more; I'm particularly enamored by the Genie Go.

Is there any reason not to go with a Genie (which is, after all, an HD-DVR) as opposed to just upgrading the HD-DVR? Anything new on the horizon that I should wait for instead?

TIA

2. Aug 4, 2013 #2 of 13
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    The Genie's are a wonderful DVR. There is no reason not to upgrade to it. I thought your H25's could also act as clients with a Genie? There is still a lot of debate as to whether a client or another Hxx is the way to go. They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

One thing I would recommend is to keep your HR20 as a back up for recordings of your favorite programs. I have had times where something failed on the Genie for one reason or another, but I had the recording on my HR23. Better to be safe than sorry!

3. Aug 4, 2013 #3 of 13
    neuronbob

neuronbob AllStar

Apr 11, 2003
    It's even better if I can keep the H24s as Genie clients.

The HR20 has some irreplaceable moments recorded on it and, slow as it is, I had thought about keeping it. I could move an H24 to a fourth room.

4. Aug 4, 2013 #4 of 13
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    That's absolutely possible. If you look at the firstlooks to a genie clients you'll see some advantages and disadvantages in comparison to swapping your h24s. No matter which you get you will GAIN functionality over what you have now.

5. Aug 4, 2013 #5 of 13
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You can definitely keep the 24s. They will be able to set a recording on the Genie, but not be able to access the history, To Do list etc, or be able to pause/rewind live. However they also don't use a tuner from the Genie for live like a client does.

The Genie is more than just an HD DVR, 100 series links, 5 tuners, PIP, etc.

6. Aug 4, 2013 #6 of 13
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You should be able to keep the HR20, as DIRECTV doesn't want them back. You can even keep it authorized for a few weeks to watch things you've recorded, and then shelve it for a backup.

One more thing: GenieGo isn't tied to the Genie, though logically it seems like it should be.

7. Aug 4, 2013 #7 of 13
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would keep the HR20 and order the Genie as an additional room, or get rid one of you HD receivers. Keeping the HR20 will "hold" and HDDVR spot for you, meaning when it finally breaks (and it will break) DirecTV will replace it with something newer

8. Aug 5, 2013 #8 of 13
    GLJones

GLJones AllStar

Feb 12, 2008
    Just upgraded from two HR21s and two H21s to a Genie HR44 and three of the clients. Absolutely love the new system and it is VERY fast. None of the slowness issues of the old boxes.

9. Aug 5, 2013 #9 of 13
    sweep49

sweep49 Legend

Jul 15, 2008
    SW GA
    I upgraded to the HR 44 genie a few weeks ago and it is most excellent. I would not go with the clients exclusively, however, only because if the Genie goes down (which it will at some point if you have it long enough) the clients will not work either.

10. neuronbob

neuronbob AllStar

Apr 11, 2003
    Thanks for the advice in this thread. I finally made the leap. I ordered a Genie (HR-44) and two Genie Minis to replace my H24s. The reason to get rid of the H24s is because I would like to be able to use a Genie Mini in different rooms, and the fact that they are wireless makes this easy. I plan to keep my HR20-700 as an additional DVR, and as a backup.

Install is scheduled for next week.

The only issue I have now is whether the HR-44 is compatible with the AM-21 OTA device, which I'd also have to purchase. It rains enough around here that an OTA backup is needed.

11. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, the HR44 is compatible with the AM21.

But did you make sure to specifically order two C41Ws and the Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) for them, as not all Genie Minis are wireless?

12. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I would just replace the HR20-700 by the Genie and leave the HR24s in place. Lots of recording power and all work fine together. Mini's introduce issues of lag when streaming to other parts of home so same show will have delay on mini versus on the Genie. If they upgrade ya to a Genie they will put in SWM16 to handle all the receivers just may need to split lines since they can only have 8 tuners per line.

13. neuronbob

neuronbob AllStar

Apr 11, 2003
    Yes, I did. In fact, the DirecTV CSR specifically mentioned those things first, and I said "oh yes please make sure those are on the truck". We'll see if they indeed are on Friday. Fingers crossed!

I don't mind having the Genie Minis in place of the H24s (I don't have HR24s, I wish!), as I am not wedded to them. I don't mind a minor delay, I already deal with a four-second delay in my local programming in the first place! :) I would like to keep my HR20 for the reasons stated in my posts above.