1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping a box active after a whole home upgrade w/ HR34..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Deftones, Mar 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Mar 7, 2012 #1 of 17
    Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    I plan on upgrading to the whole home DVR service w/ an HR34. My question is can I keep a box even if they aren't hooked up to an outlet/tv. Reason being I still have a ton of recorded content on them that I want to finish watching before I would send them back to DirecTV. I'd assume they wouldn't care as long as they are active, right? The only potential issue I can see is I get setup for the upgrade and the technician comes over and sees that 2 boxes are active but not hooked up. What kinds of issues will I run into? I don't want to get the install set up and then run into an issue with the installer because they aren't hooked up to TVs.

2. Mar 7, 2012 #2 of 17
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    As long as they are active on your account they'd have no need to take them. As far as watching what is on them though you'd have to hook them back up to a sat feed to do so.

3. Mar 7, 2012 #3 of 17
    Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    That's sort of what I figured but wasn't sure. I guess my main concern is going to be having 4 boxes right now, getting a new one, then only wanting to have 3 hooked up w/ the whole home DVR service. I don't want to run into any issues with an installer that won't want to do the job since I'll be hooking up less boxes than I will possess.

4. Mar 7, 2012 #4 of 17
    west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    make sure yo tell them whenever you order that it will be a new outlet otherwise they wil set it up as a swap replace meaning the tech will need to deactivate a receiver in order to acitvate the new one and then will also be required to pick that receiver up and take back to warehouse

5. Mar 7, 2012 #5 of 17
    RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Good point, they tried to do that with me. I told the DirecTV person I was speaking with that I'd do that if they took an owned HR21 and made my HR34 owned. She wouldn't go for that but I was able to get the installer to have the order changed from swap/replace to new outlet, DirecTV didn't want to.

6. Mar 8, 2012 #6 of 17
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Why not keep it hooked up?
    If you disconnect (not deactivate) it, then hook it back up to watch recordings from it, you have to go through the hassle of moving a sat coax as well as hdmi (or whatever) to/form tv and another box. Then you will probably have to go on-line and reauthorize the DVR before actually using it. Lot of work, lot of hassle. Then you watch a recording, get all done and have to re-wire everything back to the "main" dvr (which of course won't be able to record or do anything while unhooked).

7. Mar 9, 2012 #7 of 17
    Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    Hooked up to where? I don't have another TV or outlet to hook it up to. I just wanted to keep it active so I could finish watching the shows on there then send it back. I know it will be a pita to watch stuff on there, but it really seems like this is the only way to do this without giving up all my recorded shows.

8. Mar 9, 2012 #8 of 17
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You can have more than one dvr hooked up to a single tv. Even if you don't have enough hd inputs, you could hook it up sd, and then just watch everything that is left on it via mrv on your new dvr that is hooked up hd.

How many tvs do you have, what dvrs do you have now, and what are you planning on ending up with? With that info, we may be able to give you a few more tips. Where there is a will, there is a way! :)

9. Mar 9, 2012 #9 of 17
    Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    Oh I have enough inputs to keep this thing hooked up. I just wasn't sure if it actually needed to be hooked up to the sat to work.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, it does need to stay connected to the satellite dish. It does not have to stay connected to a tv. Keep it anyplace you want, connected via whole-home, and watch what you want, when you want. When you are done, deactivate it and return it to DirecTV.

11. Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    Hmmm. I thought I read I could still watch content off the box if it wasn't connected to the sat.

12. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    The answer to your question will depend on whether your receiver is SWM compatible (as an HR34 or WHDVR require SWM.) If the receiver is SWM compatible the installer can place a two-way splitter at the Tv (one line goes to your HR34, and one to the old receiver) and you can do what you wish.

If your receiver is not SWM compatible there are a few options, but let's see what you've got first.

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    It has to be connected to authorize you to view the content.

14. Deftones

Deftones Legend

Sep 6, 2006
    Hmmm. Maybe that's what I'd do. Get them to split the signal where the HR34 is going to go so I can keep it hooked up for a few weeks to burn off the rest of the content. It's an HR-21 there now.

15. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    A two-way splitter would work like a charm then :)

16. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I suspended service for a couple months last year and I was able to watch all my recordings on both DVRs during the suspension. I disconnected the coax, ehternet and telephone line, then called to suspend. That way they couldn't get to the box to lock it down. My DVR's are on a UPS, so I didn't have to worry about them rebooting. Since that would have probably been the end of being able to view them. So I found that you don't have to keep them connected to anything but power and to the TV to view recordings. Sounds like you are planning to keep service on the DVR. If you decide to suspend service on it, if you leave them connected, they will lock it down.

17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Interesting, since all reports for the last two years or so said that fails anymore and the units lock down if they haven't received guide data for 12 to 24 hours. I wonder if they changed something again.