1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kelsey Grammer in Boss on Starz

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by cj9788, Oct 20, 2011.

1. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    Starz has made the first episode free on line and on demand. Premiers Oct 21.

The series follows Tom Kane, the mayor of Chicago, who has recently been diagnosed with a degenerative neurological disorder. Determined to remain in charge, Kane conceals the disease from everyone around him except his own physician, Dr Ella Harris. Those around Kane are too busy with their own lives to notice anything unusual. Kane's marriage to his wife Meredith is nothing more than one of convenience. Kane's closest advisors, Kitty O'Neill and Ezra Stone, begin to suspect something is wrong with the Mayor but respect him too much to ask any questions, while State Treasurer Ben Zajac is too busy cultivating his political ambitions to become the next Governor of Illinois to notice anything out of the ordinary. Kane's daughter, Emma, is the only one who suspects that something is wrong with her father. But does she know enough to uncover his secret and what will it mean for his political career?

2. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Well, looks like this series is rather true to life in a sense. Almost all our elected officials in the city, C(r)ook County, and Springfield are mentally out of whack.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Fixed for you. ;)

The show looks good.

4. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I'm looking forward to see how Kelsey Grammer does in such a different role for him.

5. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003

He played a scumbag quite well in Medium a while back.

6. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I don't think I've ever seen him in anything besides Cheers and Frasier (and the tabloids :D). Thus my curiosity.

7. balboadave

balboadave Legend

Mar 3, 2010
    Frasier Crane's catchphrase was "I'm listening." The first episode of Boss is entitled "Listen." I'm looking forward to the new show, but really, couldn't they have made a bigger effort to distance themselves? :)

8. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Got done watching ep. 1, like it a lot, too bad it won't be a long run because of certain story lines.

9. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I'm rather tired of premium channels original series all having a "bad person" as the protagonist.

Do they all have to be that way?

10. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    IMHO "a long run" has become three seasons which this show could carry well. No guarantees that Starz will run it that long, though.
    It balances the broadcast networks' prime time schedule protagonists the majority of which are "good cops." ;)

Kelsey Grammer is showing his acting skills on this show, finally showcasing his Juilliard and stage background. But while I enjoyed this premier and think the show could be very intriguing with strong character development, my wife dislikes the dark & violent drama on premium channels.

From a "believability" standpoint, this drama gets far more points than any "CSI" franchise fantasy with all that tech not available to 99.9% of law enforcement. But Americans do like to believe in fantasy.

11. fpembleton

fpembleton Member

Jun 19, 2005
    The situation portrayed in this series (Boss) is not indicative of the traditonal " mentally out of whack" public servant of Cook County and Illinois. Just my personal opinion, but it is kind of sad to see someone deteriorate mentally as a result of the diagnosis of the illness. i dont view this as being synonymous with corruption.

12. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    That could be. I never see any of those shows.

13. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Think maybe Listen came from the way he got that dude's attention in his office? I'd darn sure listen :)

I think I will enjoy Grammer showing his acting skills in this one. Watching the very sad mental deterioration of this character may be a bit tough. I formed the opinion that he is a very strong willed person. Now, corrupt or not I haven't made up my mind.

I did enjoy the rooftop view changing while he was giving the history lesson to the young politician. That was a neat touch.

14. dairack

dairack New Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Actually, BOSS has already been renewed for a second season. I saw the first episode as well and really enjoyed it - Kelsey Grammer's performance is stellar IMO.

Will anyone be watching the second episode this Friday at 10/9pm ET/PT? I can't wait

I'm helping STARZ spread the word on this series so if you have any questions let me know.

---
    Derek

15. fpembleton

fpembleton Member

Jun 19, 2005
    The show definitely appealed to me. I plan to watch the series.

16. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    I caught up with all 3 episodes over the weekend and love it. Grammer is great in this -- compelling storylines too. I'm in for the season. :up: Also, glad to hear it's already renewed for a second season.

17. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Today I was thinking of the scene where Kane is on the phone guiding the office to tell the guy at the press conference to keep asking the question about Miami. Hope to see Grammer get a nomination for his role.

18. Dario33

Dario33 Godfather

Dec 15, 2008
    Yeah, that was great. "Ask him again" (repeated several times)

19. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I am loving this show. It's so sleazy and entertaining. The corruption and sex and slander and character assassination. I can't wait to see where this goes.

20. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Just typical life in the day/career of a Chicago (and Illinois) Democratic politician. :D