1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kevin Smith deemed safety risk on flight

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dpeters11, Feb 14, 2010.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Not sure why you're saying the captain was wrong. . . idiots don't need airtime!

And such a well respected blog. . .

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Saw that in an LA Times article headlined "Silent Bob" Thrown Off Southwest Flight For Being Too Large. Southwest tweeted Our apology to @ThatKevinSmith and more details regarding the events from last night - http://cot.ag/96KHC7 #Southwest

The link they give appears to be inaccessible at this point. But their Facebook wall is a storm of "discussion." It's tough to have as many employees as Southwest and not have an idiot or two among them. But then "cattle car" airlines does create its own peculiar set of complainers anyway.

Kevin, on the other hand, is a safety risk for many reasons.;)

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Remember, this is the airline that has a dress code that resulted in a big dustup in 2007 when employees took things a little too far. That one resulted in this Fox News article:
    Maybe they'll have a "chunky fare sale." They're a weird operation, but I've never had a bad experience when I found myself with no other choice.

6. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I'll never fly SWA, and this is why.

After that TV show, "Airline" showed a lot of folks being removed for being > 240 lbs., I decided I didn't need that embarrassment.

I have zero problems, don't need a seat belt extender, but I'm sure they'd kick me off after seeing that show.

For me, it's AirTran all the way.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Ryanair is the oddest. I also remember one Best Buy executive was denied a first class seat because he was wearing a tracksuit, but I think that was United.

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, the story is now in The Guardian and it looks like Smith isn't going to let it go easily with his "colorful" descriptive language. According to the article:
    No one has updated his Wikipedia entry yet. But it should be any minute now.:sure:

9. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The other thing I noticed is that every press report mentions that his newest film, Cop Out, starring Bruce Willis, opens Feb. 26. Cheapest advertising he could ever hope for, while the Southwest Airlines PR VP is desperately trying to figure out how to do damage control.

10. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Was reading Kevin Smith's tweets about this. He was REALLY going off on Southwest last night and still today.

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I don't see the problem here. He could certainly afford the second seat. Some people might not be able to, but their policy is clear.

He sounds a bit immature to me.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yep, their policy is clear. If you cannot lower the armrests, you have to buy a second seat, which you get back if the flight isn't full. All the reports I've seen are, his armrests were lowered.

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It's stranger than it sounds. He says he had two tickets. He just did standby for an earlier flight and there was only one seat. They let him on, get seated with the armrests down and seatbelt fastened without an extender, etc.

Southwest needs a psych test that shows up the people with power issues as part of their screening.
    Look him up on IMDb or Wikipedia. Or find an interview of him from a talk show. As I said above Kevin is a safety risk for many reasons. But he's turned this into a publicity bonanza for his new movie.

14. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
  15. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Unbiased? You've got to be kidding! :nono2:

BTW, spell-check can be your friend.

16. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    The huffington post does not cheerlead for a political party, like one major news network.

Now back on topic.

17. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Color me cynical, but in my unbiased opinion, and with possibly one or two exceptions, I believe that all news outlets have some bias.

Now, we can go back to topic.

18. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Sorry to say the airline did the right thing.

If they have a policy (right or wrong), they have to enforce it for everyone, regardless of if they are a celebrity or not.

Oo the other hand, commercial aircraft seats are mighty tight for folks weighing 150 lbs or more, especially the infamous 757 jet seats, designed only for supermodels to use.

As one who travels alot on flights year-round...there have been plenty of times I've had 300 lb folks sitting next to me and oozing well over into my seating space. While its a shame really....I can see both sides on this issue.

19. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Agreed. However there is one in particular that is WAY over the top.

20. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I understand the inconvenience of it all, but being a big guy myself, let me just say that it's not comfortable for us either. ... but in this case, I really think that if he can get the armrest down, then that in and of itself should be enough to say "yes, I'm in my own seat and not yours."

You can weigh 180 pounds and "encroach" on others if you're broad-shouldered. Airline seats aren't designed for comfort, and there's lots of reasons you can be uncomfortable. Long legs, wide shoulders, being overweight -- they all result in the same uncomfortableness, but only one of the group gets called out.