1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

keyword autorecord keeps recording watched or deleted shows

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BrianArmer, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianArmer

BrianArmer New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I missed the season finale of Amazing Race due to a problem with the way keyword autorecord works. I have an autorecord of *new* shows with keyword "UCLA" in sports/basketball. For some reason the FoxNet channels play "UCLA: First to 100" over and over and over again. I watched it last fall, and end up deleting the recording at least once a week. I presume the autorecord keeps picking it up because it's not tagged as a repeat for whatever reason.

Anyway, on 1/20 at 8PM this program was recorded by both tuners since FoxNet was showing it on multiple channels. Since it was one priority higher than Amazing Race, it skipped the recording of it :(

From what I recall with my old TiVos, once you watch or delete a show, it won't try to autorecord it again for at least 30 days. If my HR20-700 (sw version 0x1EA) had this functionality, this problem would have been avoided.

Does anyone know if this is an enhancement request already on the list? If not, how to I get it on the board so it's on DirecTV's enhancement radar?

Thanks,
    -Brian

2. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005

Nah, you missed it because of a problem with your priorities.

If it has "generic" guide data it would not have been avoided with TiVo's 28 day rule either, but I don't know that to be the issue.

If it's been recording once a week, why didn't you take proactive steps to make sure you didn't miss what was important?

I can't answer your question about enhancements.

3. BrianArmer

BrianArmer New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Why should I have to be proactive about recordings at all? If I was proactive, I need not bother with using autorecord. :) I would hope that the goal is to have accurate autorecords, not to constantly babysit it's results and clean up mistakes.

From a user perspective, the autorecord and priorities did not work properly. I wanted it to record only live (new) UCLA basketball games. It instead picked up a repeat show, recording 2 copies of it at the exact same time.

All I know is that with my TiVo, it never kept picking up the same episode once I viewed or deleted it. With such an enhancement, this particular scenario would not have happened.

4. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I agree, you should not have to "babysit" recordings. And yes, the HR20 does have an XX-day rule (we're not quite sure how many days back it goes), but that's only as good as the description in the GUIDE data.

With the new Boolean search options, you could modify your KEYWORD AUTORECORD to something like "UCLA NNOT FIRST 100, CATEGORY: SPORTS, BASKETBALL" to avoid picking up that show again, assuming you never want to record it. Or, as Xaa suggests, keep this AUTORECORD near the bottom of the PRIORITIZER so if it does pick it up, it's less likely to bump something more important.

/steve

5. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    Simply because you had already identified it as an issue that was occurring. You knew the problem existed so you should have watched it don't you think? If I know chickens are falling from the sky, I need to be proactive and protect my head instead of hoping my head will be ok simply because chickens aren't supposed to fall from the sky.

Again, if it's generic guide data TiVo would have done the same thing. I don't know that it is or isn't though.

6. BrianArmer

BrianArmer New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Thanks for that info. What version is the boolean search? Is that a CE release or in today's national release? That would certainly help.

I've never witnessed the XX-day rule. I'm surprised you say that since I would expect that rule to have kicked in here. Hopefully someone else can comment on how it is configured.

I don't want to put it at a lower priority because it *is* my top priority to record UCLA games. So if it was UCLA live basketball vs. Amazing Race, UCLA should win. But those don't usually overlap. Also, using both tuners to record the exact same show is crazy. Worst case it should have had the UCLA repeat show on one, and Amazing Race on the other.

I just want to be able to trust my autorecords will do what's expected of them :grin:

7. Igor

Igor Godfather

Jan 3, 2005
    You could try some of the new hidden tricks to narrow this autorecord or send a letter to Fox...

Example: Keyword search

"AALL UCLA NNOT First" and then pick the sports/basketball

With this construct, it will record any basketball event which UCLA as long as "first" is not in the text.

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Three Boolean SEARCH operators are available in the NR, so you should have them. You can find some tips on using them here.

Regarding the xx-day rule, like I said, it's only as good as the GUIDE data that it uses to uniquely ID episodes, so you can't count on it. /steve

9. BrianArmer

BrianArmer New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Cool, I'll give that a shot. I wasn't aware these search options were already released.

For others, here's a reference post I found on usage.

10. BrianArmer

BrianArmer New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I didn't know episodes were uniquely IDd, which I agree is likely the main problem. I thought it keyed off the title/desciption info which is the same.

Thanks guys for the help. I troll this forum all the time and can't believe what an incredible resource it is! Also, kudos to DirecTV for aggressively enhancing the HR2x boxes. It's come a long way the past year from the buggy box we all loved to hate :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.