1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Keyword Search Not Working

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by topher2041, Aug 29, 2013.

1. topher2041

topher2041 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    I am having an issue with one of my receivers. Not sure when it started happening. The receiver is a HR24/100 and is on software x736. I have had a keyword search on it for a long time and just noticed it is not recording anything. It use to without a problem. The search is "Manchester United" and it is set to record "Both" and up to 10 episodes. On the receiver if I do a search for "Manchester" tons of things come up. If I then scroll down and do a Keyword search for "Manchester" I get one item. I have tried pushing the red button to reset it and a second time after it came up and let the guide data redownload but with no luck.

I also have another receiver, same model and same software version that it works fine on.

I have read on DirecTv forums about people with the same issue but no solutions other than try the double reset. They seem to point to a 12-21-12 update but I do not think it was broken that far back.

Any thoughts?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You are mixing Search and Series in the same wording.
    Are you Searching or in the Series Manager ?

I searched ( Typed in both words ) and have 7 entries in the results. They show up on multiple channels, 47,220, 619, 628, etc.
    I did not search using Keyword.

If you set a Series on a particular channel it will only show the ones on that channel.

3. topher2041

topher2041 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    No I am talking about Search. Yes if I search for Manchester United both words I get 7 or so listing on different channels. What I want to do is record everything on all channels that has Manchester United. If I search for Manchester United and see those results and either push the red button on the remote or scroll down in the search listing to the bottom and select "Manchester United" Keyword, then pick All I get one item. I do the same thing on my other receiver and I get all the items that where listed in the original search which is what I want.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I did the Keyword and got zero on mine. I also have the HR24-100.

5. topher2041

topher2041 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Did you get any results in the search before you went to keyword?

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I see what you are saying. I tried the search via the iPad app and get mixed results. The Search box shows 7 items, plus the "Manchester United Keyword" option. If I select the Keyword, I get 4 items. Here are some screen shots.

IMG_0205.PNG

IMG_0206.PNG

IMG_0207.PNG

- Merg

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Yes, I got the first screen shot by Merg with the 7 items in it.

8. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I also get no results, but I no longer expect my Genie to actually work.

9. topher2041

topher2041 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    That is right and what is support to happen. You get only 4 because a couple of them are under folders, UEFA & English. So there should be more in those to equal 7. I am try this on my tv/receiver.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Good call. Since those are folders, they should give a number there to let you know how many items are in the folder. And the total from all the folders is more than 7, however, it looks like some are duplicates (repeat airings), so there might only be 7 unique shows.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

11. topher2041

topher2041 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    Alright I think I figured it out or at least what is causing it and a work around for it. If someone else who has the issue can test this for me that would help.

The issue looks to be a bug in the software. This is only on my two HR24/100 and is on software x736 I have not tried it on my others that are different models. There must be a limit in the length of the keyword for it to work. This was not the case before.

I was getting tired of typing "Manchester United" to test it so I started just typing "Manchester". That worked when I hit Keyword search on "Manchester" it everything showed up. So I tested what would work and what would not. I got all the way to "Manchester Unite" and it work. When I added the "d" it would not. Well it would not work if the only the title had it in it. If "Manchester United" was in the description or information it would show. So on a regular search of "Manchester United" I would get multiple items. Keyword search of the same thing would give me only 1 item. That 1 item had "Manchester United" in the description.

So to test this I tried a different search. Something that would not have a description (sports best option). I tried "San Jose Earthquake". Search turned up quite a few shows, Keyword search of it only showed items that had "San Jose Earthquake" in the description. Mostly the from the DirecTV MLS package. Ones that where on ESPN or some others did not show but they did not have it in the description. I shortened the name to "San Jose Earth" and guess what all of them showed up.

So I just shorted my original search to "Manchester Unite" and it is working.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Clever work! But it doesn't seem like something anyone should have to do.....

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Alright I think I figured it out or at least what is causing it and a work around for it. If someone else who has the issue can test this for me that would help.

The issue looks to be a bug in the software. This is only on my two HR24/100 and is on software x736 I have not tried it on my others that are different models. There must be a limit in the length of the keyword for it to work. This was not the case before.

I was getting tired of typing "Manchester United" to test it so I started just typing "Manchester". That worked when I hit Keyword search on "Manchester" it everything showed up. So I tested what would work and what would not. I got all the way to "Manchester Unite" and it work. When I added the "d" it would not. Well it would not work if the only the title had it in it. If "Manchester United" was in the description or information it would show. So on a regular search of "Manchester United" I would get multiple items. Keyword search of the same thing would give me only 1 item. That 1 item had "Manchester United" in the description.

So to test this I tried a different search. Something that would not have a description (sports best option). I tried "San Jose Earthquake". Search turned up quite a few shows, Keyword search of it only showed items that had "San Jose Earthquake" in the description. Mostly the from the DirecTV MLS package. Ones that where on ESPN or some others did not show but they did not have it in the description. I shortened the name to "San Jose Earth" and guess what all of them showed up.

So I just shorted my original search to "Manchester Unite" and it is working.

Good trouble-shooting. Please post about this issue and all your testing in the appropriate Issues thread for your DVR/Software Version. That way it will be certain to be seen by the DirecTV engineers.

Thanks.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app