1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Kicking and screaming to upgrade

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Horsepower, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1 of 13
    Horsepower

Horsepower Cool Member

Feb 18, 2005
    I have been putting off calling for an upgrade from my 722 for almost a year, but I finally did it. I asked some specific pre-upgrade questions (which I though mattered more than they do) and of course they told me nothing but lies. The MOST important was to be able to transfer from my external hard drive, which an escalated phone tech told me is "in the works" But then, after 13 years with Dish, I should understand I am nothing but a stepchild. Other than that, after 2 hours of use, the Hopper and Joey seem to be ok.

2. Dec 4, 2013 #2 of 13
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    You can transfer your 722 programs to EHD and it will work with your Hopper.

3. Dec 4, 2013 #3 of 13
    Horsepower

Horsepower Cool Member

Feb 18, 2005
    Thank you for that, but the EHD worked fine with the 722. When the tech installed the Hopper, I got a screen that said an EHD was recognized. But when I got into the EHD, I get what is shown on the attachment. If I unplug the EHD I get a message "a multimedia device has been removed" but when I plug it back in, no message. I called the 800 number and spent a half hour talking to 2 techs, and the result was "a fix is coming" I am not optimistic.

Attached Files:

• EHD.JPG
      EHD.JPG
      File size:
      99.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Dec 5, 2013 #4 of 13
    RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Be patient some things take 24-48 hours to work on the hopper after installation.

5. Dec 5, 2013 #5 of 13
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
  6. Dec 5, 2013 #6 of 13
    Horsepower

Horsepower Cool Member

Feb 18, 2005
    WOW Patience paid off, the drive now shows and works fine. Thanks RBA
    This is a great resource, and a great idea. Thanks thomasjk

Now, for some best practice questions, should I start a new thread (for example: should I connect Joey to internet, and prime time vs timers for certain shows)

Thank you.

7. Dec 5, 2013 #7 of 13
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I believe the acts of attaching and removing an EHD from any Dish receiver requires a reboot in every case.

I know with my 722k it did.

I haven't attached any of my 722k EHDs to my Hoppers since the drives are so large they do not fill up on me (I delete programs after watching them except in rare occasions).

I Have prime time active on one Hopper and off on the other. The Mrs. has discovered she watches more network TV now because EVERYTHING on all 4 nets is recorded and she can watch it whenever. The only problem is occasionally my Hopper2000 drops CBS and NBC one night - a power cord reboot fixes that). Never set timers for big 4 network shows anymore. PTAT shows can be saved out of PTAT so they are not replaced after 8 days.

After the last software download my Joeys show up on my router as MOCA devices even though they are only connected by coaxial cable.

8. Dec 6, 2013 #8 of 13
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    This is one of the downsides and upsides of forums. The downside, now the poster has a thread that implies you can't watch your EHD from a 722 and DISH lied when they said you could. That's all some will read and a non truth gets elevated.

The upside, the OP was given good advice that was correct.

9. Dec 6, 2013 #9 of 13
    Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    My 722K has never required a reboot to attach or remove.

When a new drive is connected for the first time and formatted, a reboot happens.

10. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    When you save a show that was recorded in PTAT does it save the entire show, including the piece that goes "over" into the next show? For example, when I record The Crazy Ones (the Robin Williams show) the outakes at the end always get cut off because I'm recording another show after it. Thanks,

11. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Yes.

12. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Does anyone know if autohop stays with a recording if you move to EHD?

13. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Yes it does.