1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

@#$! kids cry "rape"

Discussion in 'The OT' started by tgr131, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgr131

tgr131 Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Greetings,

I found myself VERY ticked off today. I'm in the army, and I needed to take a physicaly fitness test. I had a captain and young sgt volunteer to administer the test, so we went to a community center that had a track. I had finished my test, but another soldier was still in process. The young SGT and I heard a shriek, then "Help! Rape!" We scanned the wooded area, when we heard the cryy again.

Both of us, and the soldier still taking the test starting sprinting towards the woods. As we closed in on the woods, two boys got up off the ground and took off running. We caught them, and they denied hearing anything, or doing anything. They finally admitted to chasing each other, and crying out, although they denied crying out the word rape.

Royally ticked me off. And now that soldier will have to retake the test another day, b/c they cried "Wolf"

2. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    Even in the face of crying Wolf, your vigilence will persevere as always! Hopefully they realize the pain they were being.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Not on the same level...

But a few weeks ago, I was driving to work... and their was a backback on the street corner, that is a bus-stop for the local schools.

I decided to call the police and let them know... even know the chances were high that it was just an innocent... "I forgot it".

But I would have never forgiven myself, it was something worse.
    (and it wasn't... it was a simple "I Forgot it")

You and the others did the right thing....

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    yes, the right thing was done, but in the face of too many of these false reports, someone down the line may suffer.

As for the backpack .. a good call. Police will forever have to deal with this part of life now fully knowing that each and every one of the calls may be benign. That is a product of our society today.

5. Snoofie

Snoofie Registered User

May 29, 2003
    I work at a bank in a bad part of town and there are lots of false alarms that the police respond to and they are never happy about it, but that is the way it is anymore. You have somebody walk in wearing a heavy coat and a hood pulled up over their head and wearing sunglasses, we get nervous. People are just going about their business and most of the time mean no harm, but if you are acting weird or dressed a certain way, you are a suspect. We have had people leave backpacks and boxes in the branch and we have to call the police because you just never know. Kids yelling "rape" is one thing because they are kids. We have adults that walk in and yell, "this is a stick-up" and start laughing. They don't realize just how serious it is.

6. tgr131

tgr131 Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Well, I think these kids understand now. The young SGT and I firmly explained that if they didn't "Own Up", that we would have to conduct a search to confirm no one needed help, and we'd have to call the police in to help. Suddenly they looked real nervous, and fessed up.

On a related note, the fedex guy left a black briefcase looking object outside my building today (a military campus) because the door was locked. Nearly caused a bomb scare. :nono2:

7. tgr131

tgr131 Legend

Apr 9, 2007
    Good call on the backpack. It's all about situational awareness... noticing things out of the ordinary can save lives.

8. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    I am happy that you are one of the ones who defend us.

Thank you.

- Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.