1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids drinkinging Robitussin to Get Drunk...

Discussion in 'The OT' started by gcutler, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I was talking to my brother and my 15 year old nephew "Overdosed" yesterday (he's OK) on DXM (dextromethorphan) based Robitussin (mixed with Medicated Sucrets). Anyone know, if it is that common now.

When I was a teen the only kids I knew who swilled Robitussin or Nyquil for the Alcohol content were the kids that were pretty much alcoholics but could not get their hands on beer or pot and this was their next step for the desperate, the kids after the weekend beer high did not take that path??? Or is this something totally new and the DXM connection to Alchol just something I have stuck in my head,and it has nothing to do with the Alcohol???

Now the fact that my nephew was the "Ring Leader" of the outing for his group of 4 friends pretty much has me thinking that he needs some type of drug conseling now (he wasn't just trying to keep up with his friends and keep cool, he was leading the charge). My Sister-In-Law is of the mind that he dosen't need the counseling, "he isn't a drug addict". I figure that the trigger in his brain has obviously gone off, keeping him grounded for 6 months is not going to prevent his desire to get high somewhere. And maybe counseling may help nip this in the bud???

2. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    I'm not a doctor and can't stand cough medicine. ;)

But it's my understanding that DXM is not an overdose issue, the medicine is very safe. Apparently, one gets a high similar to feeling agitated or maybe drinking too much coffee? Robokids, a term sometimes used for those who get a buzz off of DXM, probably would benefit from counseling.

3. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I did some research and DXM can be deadly, but you have to really abuse the stuff to get it even close to a dangerous level. He drank 2 bottles of the stuff in like a 1-2 hour period (with 8 Sucrets DXM losenges as a chaser :bang). Like so many things it is safe when used the way it is originally intended (it would be almost impossible to accidentaly overdose on this stuff if using it as it its intended to be used)

They say it has a hallucinogenic effects, so the Alchol content was probably not the primary purpose like I thought.

My brother found out after the fact that my sister-in-law caught the kid looking up this stuff on the internet a couple of days ago (I guess she is the enabler for the whole famly :nono2: ) She hates to punish them because she want's to be their buddy :bonk1:

4. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    One of my brothers who works in a grocery store mentioned that the latest thing for low lifes to do is to come into the store and grab cough medicine off the shelf and drink it right there in the isle of the store. It is a potentially serious problem and your nephew should get some serious help.

5. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The biggest one in the way now is the kids Mother :nono2:

6. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    This has been a problem for years. At high dosages, DXM causes hallcuinations. It's one of the commonly abused OTC medicines, along with diphenhydramine (Benadryl).

I heard from a friend that he knew a guy who was getting drunk by drinking perfume..... ewww that must be disgusting! :barf:

7. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    There have always been stories of Soviet troops stationed in Siberia where they would drink Auto or Aircraft anti-freeze solution to get drunk when their Vodka supplies ran out. That has to be the lowest to go to get alcohol.

8. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    so NOW i have to worry about fellows who smell SWEET and kids WITHOUT runny noses coming thru the airport checkpoint....sheesh...

9. DishDude1

DishDude1 Godfather

Apr 12, 2002
    We have a problem around here with bums drinking mouthwash to get drunk....guess it has a high alcohol content and is cheap.

10. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    When I went to college, the dorms were alcohol free. But they weren't cough syrup free. So I took my grampa's suggestion on his favorite cold remedy. Turpin Hydrate and Codeine Elixir. In Iowa in the mid 70's you could get it over the counter, but you had to sign for it. I liked to have my grampa along when I got it, especially from one of his buddies. I got fewer stares. That stuff had quite a kick.

11. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    You figure a bottle of Ripple is cheaper than a bottle of mouthwash??? (Have I been watching too much Sanford & Son?) :)

12. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    there's a certain irony that has people listing from the listerine....

13. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Good one! :lol:

I guess Nyquil doesn't do it anymore for today's young sots. Tomorrow's leaders, hmmph! :rolleyes:

You know it's time to yank the stopper on the bathtub gin when 'drinking' gets spelled "drinkinging" in a thread title!.

:D

14. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My only saving grace is that no one mentioned that for 3-4 days... ;)

15. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    ...and that's only because I've been mostly away for a few days! We will not tolerate f***ups on this board! :icon_kiff :box: :uglyhamme

16. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    What happened to the old third person beer sales?

17. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    John, do you have any idea what the criminal penalty is for aiding and abetting stupidity? Me neither, but I'm sure it's pretty stiff!

18. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Even if the criminal penatlies were not strong enough, the civil lawsuits would also make you not want to get involved. Nothing like losing your house in a lawsuit because the beer in a fatal DWI was traced back to you...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.