1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Kindle or Nook?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Indiana627, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Jul 31, 2010 #1 of 252
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    My wife's birthday is in 2 weeks and she wants an e-reader. She asked for the Nook since all we need is the wi-fi as 3G would be a waste (terrible cell phone coverage at our house). The wi-fi only Nook is $149. Now is see the wi-fi only Kindle is coming out for $139 - but not until 2 weeks after her birthday. So my question is: should I get the Nook she asked for, or wait and get her the new Kindle when it comes out?

Her sister has a Kindle, and I'm wondering if I got the Kindle for my wife, would they be able to share books, with only one of them having to buy and download the book - just like they used to with paperbacks? I assume if I buy her the Nook, they definitely won't be able to share books between Nook and Kindle. Does anybody know if Nooks can share books between them?

Anything else I should know about either device?

Thanks.

2. Jul 31, 2010 #2 of 252
    tenholde

tenholde Mentor

Aug 17, 2007
    I have a kindle, so I'm probably prejudiced, but the reviews I've read of the newest kindle puts it solidly ahead of the nook (speed was one item).

As far as sharing books among kindles, you would need to register both kindles to the same Amazon account (you can register up to 6 to one account), which would mean using the same credit card for all book purchases.

tenholde

3. Jul 31, 2010 #3 of 252
    FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67 CE'er & Retired Engineer DBSTalk Club

Jan 12, 2007
    Windber, PA
    Kindle owner here, too. When I was deciding on the Kindle 2, books were slightly less from Amazon. Don't know if that's still true.

4. Jul 31, 2010 #4 of 252
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I would wait for the kindle. I like being able to use kindle books on the iPhone and pc as well as pm the device.

5. Jul 31, 2010 #5 of 252
    mhendrixsr

mhendrixsr AllStar

Nov 17, 2007
    Kindle would be my preference too. Started with the original Kindle and went on to the second generation model... acquiring quite a library along the way. Its a nice reading device as long as you don't mind the need for a light source. I only use it at home (only b/c I hate carrying stuff) but use the Kindle app on my iPhone as well as the iPad. I like the fact that the apps keep all 3 devices synced so I can pick up where I left off on any of the 3 devices. Lately I admit that I've started reading more at home on the iPad but find myself going back to the kindle when buying/searching/reading samples of new books just b/c it's an easier process. Initially I felt that backlit devices were harder on my eyes but I've found the increased screen size of the iPad a more pleasant reading experience (and I can dim the backlight slightly). For the $$ involved, I think the Kindle is the better idea.

6. Jul 31, 2010 #6 of 252
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    I bought the nook for my wife last Christmas and she loves it.

She can check books out from the library online for free, and it reads open source materials and formats. So books can be downloaded from other soureces as well.
    She can also share some books with others and with the nook app on her Droid phone.
    There is no physical keyboard to take up space, so it's clean and neat in appearance.
    It also now features a basic web browser.

I don't know much about the Kindle, but I didn't like the proprietary formats on it.

7. Jul 31, 2010 #7 of 252
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    You can read any book in PDF format on the kindle and as far as open sour e you can read anything from Gutenberg.org on it as well. There are some formats it can't read, though.

8. Jul 31, 2010 #8 of 252
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    If the Kindles are registered to one account, is there then any limitation to sharing? Like number of books or how long they can be shared?
    B&N does have software for smartphones and PC/Mac so she could read the book from multiple sources (though I doubt she would - her Blackberry screen is way to small for that much reading).

What do you mean by 'pm the device?'

9. Jul 31, 2010 #9 of 252
    Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
  10. Aug 1, 2010 #10 of 252
    koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    Our family decided on the Nook. We are all readers and often traded books. The lend feature in the Nook allows us to keep doing this.

11. Aug 1, 2010 #11 of 252
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Yeah, the Kindle 3's are the fastest Kindles yet.

I'm also have a Kindle DX so I too am biased but I would recomment the K3 over the Nook. :D

Mike

12. Aug 1, 2010 #12 of 252
    shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    I have 3 kindles in my household and we share all the books. I love my kindle as I travel a bit for work and not carrying paperbacks is great!

13. Aug 1, 2010 #13 of 252
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    What does this mean?

You can't read the kindle in the dark? It's not backlit?

14. Aug 1, 2010 #14 of 252
    uncouth

uncouth AllStar

Nov 7, 2007
    I have both the Kindle2 and the nook. I prefer the Kindle... Faster page refresh rate, the physical keyboard is easier to search with than the touchscreen, the buttons to turn the pages with are more responsive on the kindle (the ones on the nook sometimes take 2 presses)... I still like the nook for the epub compatibility, but ended up giving it to the gf. The Kindle2 will go to my mom as soon as the Kindle3 arrives on my doorstep. Yeah, we all read a lot.

15. Aug 1, 2010 #15 of 252
    Indiana627

Indiana627 Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    Well I bought the Nook today. I figure at least I'll have something to give her on her birthday, and then I can explain about the Kindle wi-fi coming out at the end of the month and let her to decide to keep the Nook or return it and order the Kindle. Thanks for all the responses.

16. Aug 1, 2010 #16 of 252
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No backlight.

I thought I'd like the Nooks lending function, but wish it weren't so limited. You can only do it once per title, and limited to 14 days. This is of course if the publisher allows it. I'm surprised many do. It seemed like a lot of publishers were against the Kindle text to speech, fearing it would hurt audiobook sales, even though there's no comparison, and Amazon is the largest audiobook seller, since they own Audible.

17. Aug 1, 2010 #17 of 252
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Ouch, that stinks.

I was thinking about getting one (or two) for a couple of reasons: 1. My wife likes to read in the evening while I'm watching TV, but neither of us like having the living room light on. 2. I was hoping to use it on flights without having to keep the overhead light on. Bummer.

18. Aug 1, 2010 #18 of 252
    Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    That's the nature of e-ink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink

There are quite a few clip on lights for these readers.

However, it's much easier on my eyes in well lit situations. There's no glare on the screen and the contrast is...well it's exactly like reading a book. I had a hard time reading my laptop screen on the beach, but absolutely not problem reading my Kindle.

I much prefer E Ink over an LCD screen for reading.

Mike

19. Aug 1, 2010 #19 of 252
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    In our neck of the woods, NY's Westchester County Library system uses Overdrive's digital rights management system to protect the e-book titles in it's catalog. For whatever reason, Overdrive supports Nook and Sony, but not Kindle.

So if anyone is considering going that route, you might want to check which file delivery system your local library is using.

20. Aug 1, 2010 #20 of 252
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    it's mostly because Amazon doesn't want other (competing) ebook standards to be readable on their device. I can't read an AZW on my Nook.

That said, I can cross-read any epub file from Sony or whoever.