1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knowing the unknowable, or not

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1 of 13
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Years ago I was introduced by a mutual acquaintance to a woman who greeted me with "It's so nice to meet you. I know all about you."

"You know all about me"...? Eek! How presumptuous. At the time, both my mother and my then wife of some 25 years knew me, but neither knew all about me. My best friend at the time knew me, but even he didn't know all about me. I don't remember exactly how I responded to the lady...probably with a cursory 'Thank you, nice to meet you.', but the gist of that brief encounter long ago has stayed with me over the years -- not because it was significant, but because of the audacity of that lady's statement, 'I know all about you.'

Really.

The online Dictionary.com defines the word "know" as:
    - to perceive or understand as fact or truth;
    - to have established or fixed in the mind or memory;
    - to be cognizant or aware of;
    - be acquainted with.

Over the years I have developed a somewhat dubious theory, or better, a personal philosophy about "knowing", to wit:

"It is important for me to know what I know. It is equally important for me to know what I don't know (lest i attempt to pilot a Boeing 787). Also, in the interest of time, a wise person should also be able to distinguish between that which is unknown but knowable, from that which is unknown and ultimately, unknowable."

The latter of which may be a gray area.

What do you know?

2. Apr 2, 2013 #2 of 13
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    - Donald Rumsfeld

3. Apr 2, 2013 #3 of 13
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I know that, "I know all about you" is just a somewhat common greeting when a mutual friend introduces two people. Much like many sayings, it's not meant to be taken literally. I know it's weird to be so affected by "the audacity of that lady's statement" which was not that serious.

4. Apr 2, 2013 #4 of 13
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
  5. Apr 2, 2013 #5 of 13
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ah, well, the lady should have said: "I've heard a lot about you."

Regarding knowledge, I concluded in my last philosophy course that I know nothing while simultaneously knowing about something about many things as reflected by this discussion in Wikipedia:
    And if one reads the whole article, one will discover the truth about knowledge - nobody knows what it is.

6. Apr 2, 2013 #6 of 13
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Precisely.

I don't think I've every let someone's minor grammatical error stay with me for years.

7. Apr 2, 2013 #7 of 13
    Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    Was thinking exactly the same thing... I've never had somebody say "I know all about you". I'm kind of a smartass, so I might just respond to that with something like "Really, then exactly how much do I weigh?" or something similar.

8. Apr 2, 2013 #8 of 13
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There are known unknowns (things that we conclude must be, but about which we possess no information)

And there are unknown unknowns (things that we have no reason to even suspect, but all the same they are whether we are cognizant of them or not)

But...

we cannot possibly ever know the unknowable. By definition, if it is unknowable then we can not possibly know it. We can know OF it, by which I mean to say... we can know that there are unknowable things... but that is the extent to which we can "know" about such unknowable things.

:)

9. Apr 3, 2013 #9 of 13
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1

10. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    This thread made me think of a quote from Chuang Tzu:

"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment. Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven"

11. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Nothing unreal exists.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Vader... careful. That's a Trek quote ;)

13. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I know