1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KOVR Sacramento HD outage?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mocciat, Aug 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mocciat

mocciat Icon

Oct 17, 2006
    D* advanced tech support says it is a local channel problem and has been reported but I also emailed this guy who was very responsive back in January when they had an issue:

Bob Hess
    Director, Broadcast Operations/Engineering
    CBS13 KOVR/ CW31 KMAX

following is the email i sent him. Anyone else having this problem?

Hi Bob,

Sorry to only email when there are problems with your feed but it is 950pm Tuesday night and there are all sorts of problems with your HD feed. THe directv feed had audio and no video and now there is nothing. The OTA feed goes in and out, mostly in. Talked to Directv and they said they are aware of the problem and have reported it to you but you can never really be sure hence this email. Sd feed is ok by the way. Not being a pain but thought you would want top know. Please let me know the status of the fix.

Thanks
    Tom Moccia

2. mocciat

mocciat Icon

Oct 17, 2006
    Does anyone else have no video on KOVR 13 HD out of sacramento?

3. osultan

osultan Cool Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Sound, but no video

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    +1

5. Dawn Knight

Dawn Knight Mentor

Feb 22, 2007
    +1

SD okay, HD no picture.

6. keith_benedict

keith_benedict Godfather

Jan 11, 2007
    Had the same problem. Seemed to start about 52 minutes into Big Brother--right at a critical point in the show. My wife says to me, "I told you this thing sucks"--"thing" being the HR20. I said, that's not the thing, that's the channel. There is must be a problem with the broadcaster. A short argument ensues. The show is over, we cut back to live TV (the tuner is still on KOVR), and low and behold the same issue. Video is black, audio is live. Other channels are fine. She apologizes.

Whew...

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Seems to be fixed the last I looked.

8. Bob Hess

Bob Hess AllStar

Jan 1, 2007
    Come on, guys....unless you are a newbie, all of you should know by now that I have been posting on these forums for years and years and years. If you send me a private email or phone me I reply to each and every one of them.

We have had three nights of horrible microwave fading between our West Sacramento studio and our Walnut Grove transmitter. We are working on a very expensive fix and it has been going on for months with lots of technical issues involved. I see a light at the end of the tunnel, right around the end of the summer fading season. Very, very frustrating problem for us which is associated with the amount of water and moist ground that our microwave signal passes over as opposed to some of the other stations.

What happens with both Dish and DirecTV is that when we take a fade, their receivers lock up and you, the viewer, lose audio and/or video until they reset the receiver. Funny how the current generation home receivers DO NOT do this. I do remember the old RCA first generation receivers doing this when the station had a problem.

So.....we certainly are responsible for creating the problem but Dish and DirecTV need to pay attention and reset their receivers. Better yet, they should have direct fiber feeds from our studio to their local POP as do the cable companies. Much better way to rebroadcast a television rather than relying on an off-air signal.

Bob Hess
    Director, Broadcast Operations/Engineering
    CBS13 KOVR / CW31 KMAX

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Now I know you are working hard and D* can [is] asleep at the switch, but I also remember this:
    Sent: Friday, June 16, 2006 2:25 PM
    To: ME
    Subject: RE: Request about CBS 13 Technical Questions

[again me],

One more thing. DirecTV picks us up off the air. We will be sending them a direct fiber feed sometime before the end of the year, bypassing the transmitter. This is how they pick up our analog. None of the stations feed their HD via fiber to DirecTV. I can afford to do it because they are only a few blocks away from us.

Bob
    So now you're telling us this still hasn't happened and you are saying this won't until D* will pay for it?
    [must hate email that never gets deleted] :D

Further dumb question: If you have a fiber feed to the D* POP for SD, why don't/can't you send both stations HD & SD channels over the same fiber?

10. mocciat

mocciat Icon

Oct 17, 2006
    I just want to thank Bob for being so responsive not only here at DBStalk.com but as he said he really does respond to personal emails and gets back to you very quickly. I must say I am very impressed, whenever you call stations for other issues, technical or not, they seem to blow you off.

Bob is the cream of the crop and we should give him some props. :icon_bb:

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    +1
    He does do "his job" well. :D

12. daveriv

daveriv Legend

Jan 10, 2007
    Bob is outstanding - check out his "work" on AVS Forum as well in the Sacramento OTA forum - he is definitely on top of it!!!

13. osultan

osultan Cool Member

Feb 23, 2007
    +1 Thanks Bob!

14. Bob Hess

Bob Hess AllStar

Jan 1, 2007
    OK, now you guys are making me feel bad. I was in a raunchy mood when I did that post.

Veryoldschool is correct. I did make that comment and it was in a private email to him/her. I generally turn into Evil Bob when someone displays a personal email from me over a public forum, especially when it includes my private email address (not because I don't want the public to have it but because I don't want the spambots to pick it up) but I will look the other way this time (Never again, however, Veryoldschool). We did at one point have a plan to install a fiber to DirecTV at OUR expense (we prefer to see them do this at THEIR expense as they have for the analog signals). This may still happen but we have redirected our efforts and our funds to fix the root of the problem in Walnut Grove. If we can get reliable microwave signals to Walnut Grove, it takes care of not only DirecTV but also Dish Network, and some of the remaining cable systems that still have not fibered directly to our studio. ATT Cable, by the way, is about to light up from our studio.

If you are interested in a technical explanation of the problem and fix, see my post, today, in the Sacramento OTA section of AVSForum.

- Bob

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Sorry Bob I didn't realize "it" and have removed same. Now off to AVS [yuck] http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=11325275&&#post11325275

16. VicF

VicF AllStar

Sep 5, 2006
    I have seen Bob's long devotion to forums and THANKS ! My wife also blamed the HR20, she laughed at the posting because that was exactly what she said when the video dropped during Big Brother, she loves the TIVO and now that I got the HR20 she rags on it all the time. I hope someone, anyone, D* watches this forum because the HR20 still has a long way to go. Come on D* .... follow Bob's lead on service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.