1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KPHO CBS 5 in Phoenix is dark...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by ebaltz, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 6, 2005 #1 of 29
    ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Just in time for the NFL playoffs, CBS 5 (DTV 17) has gone dark starting on January 5th. Their web site says, "for about a week". Does this mean for the NFL playoffs this weekend? If so, you have got to be kidding me that they would pick this week to "upgrade equipment". Are they complete idiots. Well and because I am a Dish subscriber and only get crappy locals, and depend upon the OTA HD channels, I guess I am just screwed. I wonder if the cable subscribers are getting screwed.

Is there any way I can get the CBS national HD signal from Dish for a week to compensate?

2. Jan 6, 2005 #2 of 29
    bavaria72

bavaria72 I am one too! DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    WOW!! Did the station go "Toes up"?

3. Jan 6, 2005 #3 of 29
    JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    The indication in the post is that it is to upgrade equipment.

4. Jan 6, 2005 #4 of 29
    bavaria72

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    Right before the start of the playoffs??? Wow, that brings a whole new meaning to "Pardon our Dust". I really can't believe they would go dark for days for an "equipment" upgrade. What are they doing, been actually thrown off a tower, having to salvage equipment from that and then move it to a new tower? Good luck on getting new advertisers. That just stinks!

5. Jan 7, 2005 #5 of 29
    ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Here is the response I received from KPHO Channel 5:

Hi Evan:

Unfortunately, the transmitter will not be on the air this weekend. We are making major changes at the transmitter site. The work requires about a week to finish and when complete, the output power will be at the maximum permitted under FCC rules. Additionally, we are adding redundant components and modules so that a single point failure will not take the transmitter off the air. I am sorry for the interruption in service but there was no other way to achieve these improvements. Thank you again for your question and continued viewing.

All the best,
    Donna Dulara
    CBS 5
    Your Valley News Station

(p) 602.650.5501
    www.kpho.com

I guess they forgot to look at their schedule and decide when might be a good time to go dark and when not too. I guess at least it will be up and running for the NCAA tournament. Hopefully they will actually have games in HD.

6. Jan 7, 2005 #6 of 29
    kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    One of their engineers has said they are probably going to keep their uhf channel 17 and give up vhf 5 when they have to give one up. Maybe they are prepairing the digital station to be their only station

7. Jan 7, 2005 #7 of 29
    kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    Maybe you can get kpho to give you a waiver?

8. Jan 8, 2005 #8 of 29
    homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    I would contact CBS Network directly. They want you to see the advertisers on the network as much as you want to see the games. I'm sure they will be thrilled to know they are not available to the Phoenix market.

BTW... is this the HD channel only being off, with their analog channel still on?

9. Jan 8, 2005 #9 of 29
    kb7oeb

kb7oeb Icon

Jun 16, 2004
    Only the digital station is off. The digital station is carried on cox cable but I don't know if its working or not.

10. rayydio

rayydio New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    I worked as a Broadcast Engineer in the Phoenix market for several years and if they are off-the-air and upgrading to a monster transmitter, probably a back-up transmitter and exciter, etc. they are very likely preparing for just that. I would not be surprised to see more of your locals doing the same in the future.

11. rayydio

rayydio New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    With only the low-power UHF HD being off-the-air and the VHF on-the-air I am sure CBS will sleep at night knowing they are alive and well in Phoenix.

12. bavaria72

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    (Slap my forehead!) Oh, so it is the HD that is off the air, not the entire station. Well that explains a whole lot. As long as you can get the analog signal, I doubt CBS would grant you anything. Of course it would just kill me if the CBS affiliate here in DFW did that to me this weekend. Watching football in HD has just absolutely ruined me. I won't even going to somebody else's house to watch a game if they don't have HD.

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    ebaltz - ever hear of making MEANINGFUL thread titles ? I was wondering why in the heck would they do this during big ratings events - now you come clean that it is "only the digital" station ....

14. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Hey scooper, as I said in my original post, their digital station (17) was dark, and those of us who HD and recieve the HD OTA channels have no reason to ever look, save to our favorites or otherwise view crappy broadcast SD or E*'s version of those locals, so for all those people, when the digital HD station goes off air we are forced to find answers, which I did by going directly to the local CBS affiliate and find out what the deal was. Apparently they have the same arrogance you have and think that people still bother with their SD channel. These stations need to have a clue about their customers, few as we may be who only bother watching HD programming. Obviously they think that it is going to be a big thing eventually since they are upgrading etc...but it would be good policy to notify their customers in advance, realize that many no longer watch their channel 5 signal and not otherwise frustrate their viewers, especially durning NFL playoffs. As a side note, to me this is all the more reason for all who desire to be allow to receive HD network feeds and bypass the local idiots. We should have an option, I never watch any local programming only national programming in HD from networks. Maybe someday, local affiliates will dissappear altogether, or just be in existence for local news etc...but leave the badwidth to the national network HD broadcasts.

15. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Bavaria72, wouldn't it be nice if we could just all receive HD networks from E* and skip all this OTA crap altogether?

16. bavaria72

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    What a yes and no question!! For you and the folks out there - absolutely!!! Demand HD via satellite yesterday! Fortunately for me, the DFW area is nearly 2 years into the whole HD OTA thing and it is working very nicely. The provideres are very stable, anytime there is HD OTA, I get it. So for me, HD via sta. really don't care. Almost seems "they" are trying to pit us against each other. But bottom line, give me HD via satellite!

17. rayydio

rayydio New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    I am sure that you cannot get VHF coverage but you need to realize a few things about commercial broadcast stations - The only reason that you are watching (or not watching) HD in the first place is by FCC mandate, and not by the good graces of your local affiliates. Believe me, most of them do (did) not want to invest particularly in digital as it costs big bucks and the pay-back time-frame is undecided to say the least. The ratio of their viewers watching VHF-SD as apposed to viewers watching UHF-HD is heavily tilted to which side and your first two guesses do not count. As far as them going dark during the playoffs, the transmitter is arriving at the same time and the planning for this project just happened to coincide with this time frame - they are not doing it just to piss you off. If playoffs are so important to you, I am sure that there are plenty of sportsbars who have HD via satellite where you could watch them. No station will ever advertise there intentions of going dark! They think long and hard about how they can up-grade a transmitter plant with the least amount of disruption possible.

And lastly, a few irate phone calls from a handful of HD viewers do not mean a hill of beans to them.

18. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Quite right. OTA TV is an obsolete transmission medium. The technology simply can NOT match DBS or a decent cable system. The bandwidth can be used MUCH better for other purposes.

If it wasn't for a powerful lobby (NAB), the local affiliates would've died off long ago - and good riddance.

All that's needed is ONE local affairs channel. It should be regulated to provide balance in news reporting, and of course, be "must carry" for cable & DBS.

Some will say "what about breaking danger reports?" (weather, Amber Alerts, whatever). Well, much of the viewing audience is ALREADY not getting them because they are NOT watching local stations anyway. But, it should not be difficult to have a "news crawl" by DMA that will appear on EVERY receiver, ANY channel being VIEWED (not recorded for later use). Of course, this crawl needs to be optional at the customer's selection.

19. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    What a load of crap. OTA is alive and well, and will continue to give a BETTER picture than you can get from DBS's overcompressed SD locals - and that is just the "obsolete, analog NTSC", nevermind this new ATSC digital.

There are locations that an OTA signal cannot be obtained. Granted. However, If you can get a good OTA signal, there is no real reason short of convience to watch DBS locals.

20. bavaria72

Jun 10, 2004
    Texas
    SS my friend, I have to disagree most fervently with you. OTA kicks the crap out of DBS HD (I get HBO HD, give me ABC HD anytime). There is no where the amount of DBS HD content that can come close to competing with OTA HD. Now, I will completely admit that I am in DFW and that if there is a show in HD - I get it! (Voom and HDNet the exception). So my viewpoint is bias. This is where our "good friends" try to divide the HD faithful. There are those who get HD OTA and those who can only get it DBS. I'll match OTA anytime against DBS just because OTA has more bandwidth. BUT PLEASE don't let "them" divide us!!!! HD, whether it is OTA or DBS, must be the standard. No excuses!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.