1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

KU-Band Satellites

Discussion in 'FTA / Non Small Dish Satellite Area' started by GiantsFan383, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1 of 11
    GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    what satellites do i have to be able to "see" with a full ku band setup. I just ordered a motorized dish and a receiver to come in the mail. I live in new Jersey and I just got that cell phone app but I need to know what satellites I would be able to catch. I think my yard will be ok since i have good signals on directv and dish but I just want to make sure if i need to see the whole arc..oh and I was wondering are all the satellites the same elevation?

Thanks for your help

2. Mar 9, 2012 #2 of 11
    sattvmax

sattvmax New Member

Jan 28, 2012
    For a single satellite position, you'll need to decide what satellite you want receive, then work out the elevation and azimuth of that particular satellite. Have a look at lyngsat for a satellite (and the orbital position) and channel listings on that satellite. Then work out the elevation and azimuth angles using an online dish aiming calculation tool. Using those elevation and azimuth angles with a compass and angle finder should help to determine if there is a direct line of site view from your house. Setting up a motorised dish will require knowing where several satellites are across the sky to use as references when setting up. As a minimum three satellite will be required - one in the eastern horizon, one from the western horizon and one directly above (or closest you can get to being directly above). Good luck !

3. Mar 9, 2012 #3 of 11
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    NO, not on same elevation - your HH motor(if you did its install correctly) would follow Clark's Belt (see Wiki) and you must find many sats - check Lyngsat site for full list.

4. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    THanks or all your help. I have a dish @ galaxy 19 now. It's good stuff like al jazeera,pres tv, and other radio channels. I want to put other satellites on the roof instead of the motor and point in different directions with a switchbox.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if you have one receiver or using one receiver one time, you'll be better with HH motor - you can pickup much more sats

6. GiantsFan383

GiantsFan383 Legend

Jul 28, 2011
    ok thanks

7. iceman382

iceman382 New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    The way to go is with a motorized setup.
    The other post is correct in that it will follow the Clark Belt arc of satellites.
    Notice I said "arc"......

It is very important when installing a motorized setup that your vertical mast is 100% plumb. In that way, the satellite will turn exactly on the full arc of the Clark Belt satellite range.

Ice...:hi:

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It's just the reflector and LNBF will follow sats on the arc...

9. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I'm in the process of "tweaking" my setup, after installing a motor. If you've seen the photos I posted before, I've changed to a heavier mount (from a "SuperDISH"), using the existing home-made support.

Right now, I get about 4 sats...I need to re-tap the three leveling feet (made of pipe flanges), since they are not quite able to make the support perfectly plumb. I should be able to get about 8 or 10 sats from my (restricted-view) balcony location.

I'll post some photos in a few days.

10. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Here's the photo....still need to neaten-up the cables.
    Using a Stab 90 motor and a SuperDISH mount, with a 0.85m Ku dish.

Attached Files:

11. sadoun

sadoun AllStar

May 28, 2002