1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Ku High Definition

Discussion in 'FTA / Non Small Dish Satellite Area' started by ZandarKoad, Jun 23, 2012.

1. ZandarKoad

ZandarKoad Mentor

Oct 25, 2009
    Does anyone bother with High Definition on a Ku setup? I mean, it seems like it's kinda pointless, as there are just a few channels and you need a motorized system to reach most of them...

Most people I know only have 97W.

I really want to want a HD receiver, but with no content, there's not much point.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    About the only HD on KU is on the PBS satellite and some sports feeds

3. Jul 3, 2012 #3 of 24
    Xizer

Xizer Cool Member

Apr 2, 2012
    PBS alone is worth the cost of admission. You can get SD anywhere. Many of the feeds on Galaxy 19 you can stream online. Al Jazeera via satellite doesn't look much better than online streaming. Internet streaming has advanced enough to provide comparable SD quality. So a lot of the feeds on that bird really aren't that special anymore.

But pristine quality NBC and PBS HD... now those are a treat you can only get in one place. Plus you get Pentagon HD which is fun to play around with for a little while as well as frequent HD wildfeeds. A motorized Ku dish is fantastic if you like high definition concerts.

I don't see why anyone with a single Ku dish wouldn't want to motorize it. Motors are only $75. Fixed dishes I can understand when one has a dish farm, but it's silly to restrict oneself to only 10% of what's out there by not having a motor. It'd be like subscribing to DirecTV, and then only being able to watch five channels.

4. Jul 3, 2012 #4 of 24
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You missed the requirement of fixed dishes - multiple receivers working simultaneously (in different rooms, archiving, etc).

5. Jul 7, 2012 #5 of 24
    sadoun

sadoun AllStar

May 28, 2002
    If you can't get PBS using OTA antenna, it is worth it to get thru satellite in HD. Otherwise, most KU is SD signal.

6. jestwaitn

jestwaitn Cool Member

Aug 15, 2012
    since i'm new to fta and want to convert from dishnetwork to fta, i don't know the answer to "can only get in one place". where is this one place?

7. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    Yes, Pentagon was OK, in HD. I still hope to see more HD on Ku, going forward.

8. jestwaitn

jestwaitn Cool Member

Aug 15, 2012
    so Ku is the "one place"?

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
  10. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    C Band is a good place to go, if you want some HD! Anik F1, 107w has a number of int the clear CBC affiliates. Just keep checking around.

11. jestwaitn

jestwaitn Cool Member

Aug 15, 2012
    this is what i'm trying to understand. some say Ku. some say C.

all i want to do is drop paid satellite and pickup ABC, CBS, NBC, and whatever else i get now for free in HD (mostly) even if i have to watch a UK FTA station to get CNBC.

and i need to know whether Ku or C band is the right choice to do this? and if C band, then fixed or motorized?

thanks.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    OTA would be best and much cheaper and space/time/money constrained

13. jestwaitn

jestwaitn Cool Member

Aug 15, 2012
    sorry. i live rural with a lot of trees. too far from city for good signals. paid satellite is just fine. but want to save $ with FTA satellite.

14. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Install a tower with long beam antenna(s) and a motor.

15. jestwaitn

jestwaitn Cool Member

Aug 15, 2012
    nearest major town is ~45 mi.

16. jestwaitn

jestwaitn Cool Member

Aug 15, 2012
    also want (HD) PVR recording capability.

17. kingofku

kingofku Cool Member

Mar 9, 2007
    But where are the transmitters?

18. kingofku

kingofku Cool Member

Mar 9, 2007
    NBC on AMC-1

19. jestwaitn

jestwaitn Cool Member

Aug 15, 2012
    about the same.