1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

KVOS Bellingham, WA (Seattle DMA ME-TV) Finally Added

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by 1948GG, Jul 25, 2012.

1. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    KVOS (Bellingham, WA in Seattle DMA Me-TV) was finally added to DirecTV, apparently this morning, after what, 12 years of the other DMA channels added (originally in SD, all now in HD), and many, many years of being carried by DISH (which is why when one goes to Bellingham, one sees DISH almost exclusively vr DirecTV on folks homes.

The web site lists it as being an HD channel, although my equipment (TV etc) reports and displays it as SD, and there is little (if any) HD programming carried or listed in the guide.

For those who don't know the history of this channel, it was originally (decades ago) a CBS affiliate, since it's signal easily covers lower British Columbia. More recently, it has morphed into a total independent. Local news stories have the station being resold yet again, and moving it's operations to Seattle; whether the actual transmission has moved or what is going on is a good question.

I'll have to do some research and hit up the FCC site to get a good idea of what's going on. If I find out anything specific, I'll try to pass it along.

But with the recent addition of HD locals into mid and southern Oregon (Eugene and Medford/Klamath Falls DMA's) lots of changes in the Pacific Northwest for DirecTV.

2. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Doubtful that many check that out often; but adding this channel resulted in many (unknown as to what kind of percentage until folks get home from work today) DVR's to 'lock up' (requiring a full power cycle), but a fair number in the area were; all three of mine (HR20-700, 2ea. HR20-100's).

Probably would have been days/weeks before I noticed that it was there in not for the lockups.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise DBSTalk Club

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The "bug" in the picture says MeTV (Memorial Entertainment Television), which typically is carried on subchannels of various broadcast stations. Programming is mostly reruns of old programs but I see some HD listings for Saturday. Transmission is from Orcas Island. I could receive a weak signal prior to the digital transition.

No lockup on my HR24-500.

4. 6tv's

6tv's Mentor

Mar 1, 2008
    Not sure why, but KVOS not showing in Seattle with SD box

5. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It appears to be on a HD spotbeam. The guide is listing two programs on Saturday morning with the HD logo.

6. Renard

Renard Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    Seattle, WA
  7. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    KVOS is 4:3, not 16:9 so I suspect it is a MPEG4 SD channel. I doubt they would change the aspect ratio for only two HD programs a week (which may be a guide error).

8. PrinceLH

PrinceLH New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    MeTV is owned by Viacom, is it not? I wonder if it's part of the Viacom deal, that Directv has just hammered out? We can only hope that it becomes more available, in other markets.

9. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
  10. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Not Viacom...it's owned by a relatively small company called Weigel Broadcasting.

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Our MeTV in our area went off because the station got sold to Papas and they changed programming to Spanish.

12. bobnielsen

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Also, locals require an agreement with the local broadcaster, not the network (It took a while for Seattle to get the Fox station in HD, even though News Corp owned Directv at the time).