1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L355 Audio Dropout Details

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by voripteth, Mar 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voripteth

voripteth Legend

Oct 25, 2005
    The 355 update has obviously changed something in how audio is processed. My normal audio setup uses the TV speakers through a HDMI connection. Every few minutes there is a one second aduio dropout. The video is normal. Replaying the section with the dropout will play will audio intact.

The frequency of this new bug is quite disturbing. I've done some experiments to help track down the problem and encourage anyone else who is having this problem to do the same and post here so Dish can fix this ASAP!

Since the dropout is happening on TV1 I first tried to change the audio sync from HD to SD. This made no difference. The dropout happens on SD or HD channels. I don't have OTA. I did a cold reboot of the receiver and the dropouts were still present.

My next test was to use my alternate audio hookup which is an optical link to my surround system. With my 942 the sync was so bad I'd stopped using this. I'm glad to report however that I didn't see any audio dropouts with this connection!

Could someone who is experiencing this problem test the audio connection with component to see if the problem is there as well? Thanks!

2. ClarkBar

ClarkBar Legend

Mar 5, 2006

3. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Just to represent the other side of the coin, I am not having any problems with audio through HDMI to my Sony HDTV since L355 was downloaded. In fact I have not even seen any of the audio sync problems and jerky video problems I had prior to L355.

I am not trying to make you guys feel bad or anything, but thought you might want to know that some setups are working fine.

4. DAG

DAG Legend

Feb 7, 2006
    I am using component outputs and optical audio (which is converted to coaxial by an Audio Authority switcher) and I have some very brief audio dropouts, well less than a second. These I have seen since my install date 2/23/06 and version L352. They are sometimes accompanied by stuttering video that can be so bad as to look stroboscopic. It was like this this morning and a front power button reset took care of it. I also have some lip synch problems from time to time with both L352 and L355. A new 622 is on its way this week to hopefully address the BSODs that occur randomly one or more times daily.

5. angiodan

angiodan Godfather/Supporter

Sep 2, 2002
    I am also getting these audio dropouts through an HDMI connection. Never had them until the latest download. Very frustrating.

6. nascar2005

nascar2005 New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    ON the VIP622, I noticed the audio dropouts starting on Saturday and it appeared to only be on HD stuff, not the normal stuff. This afternoon I was watching ESPN HD (Duke Game) and was experiencing the audio dropouts every several minutes. I switched over to ESPN (140) non HD and there were NO audio dropouts. After more testing I determined it was only on the HD channels.

I didn't recall having these audio dropouts before the Friday. Then I remembered that on Friday I changed my cables to use HDMI cable instead of component cables. I changed back the cables to component cables and BINGO, that solved my problem. I couldn't see a very noticeable different between using component and HDMI so I'll just stick with the component cables.

Please let me know if anyone has noticed this as well.

Or does everyone seem to think this has to do with software?

7. Virus

Virus Legend

Sep 22, 2005
    It's not just this update. I was having this problem with the previous software.

8. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Same here my setup is working great now. I 've had no audio synch issues up to now. I had some video stuttering before the last update but now that is gone as well. I am using the hdmi to dvi cable and the T - link to the a/v receiver and rca jacks to the tv for sound.

9. abricko

abricko Mentor

Mar 1, 2006
    So far this update has fixed most of my audio dropout / sync issues... i think the dropouts that i hear now must be broadcast errors, because i was able to instant replay a few times the same dropout since this new software has dropped. On my local NBC there's still a few ms sync issue that occurs, but it's no where near as bad as it was before (i'm talking like almost a second off). I also use optical to the receiver.

10. voripteth

voripteth Legend

Oct 25, 2005
    I watched a few hours last night using the optical TOSlink to my surround sound and didn't see any dropouts. It was quite annoying hearing the sound switch between Dolby and PCM between commercials.

There was some weird behavior on Desperate Housewives last night. About halfway through the program the voice track disappeared. I turned up the volume and could hear the ambient background sound of the show but I could hear none of the characters talking despite seeing their lips move. It lasted for about five minutes and then the dialog came back. I presume this was a broadcast bug from Chicago since I saw the same behavior on the HDMI.

It does seem very suspicious that so many people have different audio problems. Also odd that a few have no problems...

11. djmav

djmav AllStar

Apr 14, 2005
    Mine is the complete opposite. I did not have any audio or video issues with the prior software. As soon as L355 came in, I started having the jerky video and audio sync problems.

12. ac_burt

ac_burt Cool Member

Feb 16, 2006
    I am experiening the exact same problem with the audio dropping out and I am also using an HDMI connection. I called Dish this morning and they said they are aware of the problem and hope to have a resolution in the next two weeks.

13. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    After seeing the various post I wonder why Dish is not giving you the choice to accept or reject the update. it is a known fact that whenever fixes are done to correct problems those fixes should only be for folks who have had these problems. Or as ASUS site stated if you don not experience any problems with your graphic card do not accept the update as the fix can give you new problems.

14. voripteth

voripteth Legend

Oct 25, 2005
    In my case I just swapped one set of problems for another. I used to have audio sync issues and now I have audio dropouts.

Ideally Dish should release updates that fix problems without introducing new ones. That would eliminate the question of if you should update or not. Currently the only way to prevent an update would be to make sure your receiver never goes into standby mode. I think there is an option for how long the receiver waits before doing this. Default is 4 hours I think.

I have confidence that Dish will eventually fix the problem. Hopefully soon!

15. moman19

moman19 Icon

Oct 22, 2004
    Two weeks????? Meanwhile , I cannot watch live TV! Admit that 355 is a giant step backwards and simply revert to the last release ASAP. Only then should we expect to wait patiently for the next "fix".

How does this stuff get out? We truly are the QC Dept, only with no formal feedback mechanism. I would gladly volunteer as a Lab Rat if I knew there was someone at the other end working with me to resolve these type of issues.

16. voripteth

voripteth Legend

Oct 25, 2005
    While we're waiting for a fix try to set up your sound selection using different cables. For me, the optical cable to my surround sound doesn't have the audio problems that I'm seeing on HDMI. You can also try out component sound as well.

It may seem odd that each sound connection works differently but that's the way it is. Try them all and hopefully you'll find one that still works.

Good luck!

17. Cowchip

Cowchip Cool Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Didn't have any problems after 355 downloaded until just tonight. Watched '24' OTA through the 622 and everything was fine. After the show ended I flipped to Starz (National Treasure) and the dropouts started. Haven't had one for about the last 15 minutes. Yesterday I watched CBB almost all day on both OTA and HD/SD channels without any problems. Last night a snowstorm came through and I lost the OTA channel I was watching and there was just audio with no video. Program guide would come up and I could switch to different channels but still just had audio. Unplugged the unit and everything was fine once again. I think I awoke a monster when I did the reboot.......

18. JrVtecAccord

JrVtecAccord New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    I'm also having audio dropouts via HDMI, but they are less than a second long, haven't timed how often. Never had any problems before the update, besides the heat this thing put outs, 2 120mm PC fans solved this problem.

19. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    I had the audio drop outs on my dolby digital program on my ota station tonight and I changed my audio setting to pcm only and they went a way. It still worked and I got dolby digital sound even with it set to pcm only. THe bad news is now all my channels now suffer form audio video synch problems and the only way to get it to work is to skip back, even live tv so it synch again and I can watch it without the jitter. Looks like I traded my audio , snap , crackle, pop for the audio/video synch problems. I hope when I reboot this thing , when everything stops recording , that this problem goes away.

20. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Remember voripteth... people not having audio problems will tend not to pipe in so I would not necessarly equate it to a few not having problems. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.