1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L4.62 now out for 625 & 522

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by manicd, Oct 17, 2007.

1. manicd

manicd Legend

Jan 30, 2003
  2. Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    From what I read on the other message board, it's supposed to increase 625's recording capacity from 100 hours to 150 hours, but only if you delete all your programs (plus timers that occur within a 24-hour period) before the nightly update.

3. Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    Okay for anyone here who has a 625.

I want to increase my hard drive space from 100 hours to 150 hours.

Should I delete all my programs before the update is downloaded to my DVR or wait until after it's already downloaded to my DVR?

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I am NOT deleting all my recorded programs / timers on a rumour.

5. RandallA

RandallA Legend

Feb 4, 2005
    On a rumour? Just because the information is coming from the other site that doesn't mean it's a rumour, it's happening as of now. The info went out to all retailers but since we can't post links to the other site,:rolleyes: you're just gonna have to find it yourself.

6. manicd

manicd Legend

Jan 30, 2003
    I called Dish tech support who looked up the information on the new release. He confirmed that it will go fromm 100 hours to 150 hours.

He also stated it would not need to have the recordings erased, etc.

7. javaman

javaman AllStar

Sep 26, 2004
    So I gather this increased space has no effect on the 522?

I received L4.62 last night. One of the first things I noticed is a new button on the DVR page called Group, for grouping all the shows with the same name. It does make it easier to find something if you have dozens of the same show.

But now i can't find the History button on the DVR screen that used to display which programs were deleted, either by the user or from lack of space. I found that useful for checking skipped or stopped timers too. Did they get rid of it?

8. tsdiesel

tsdiesel Cool Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Anyone know if the 50% increase is due to better compression or a loss in quality? Maybe a combination of the 2?

9. RandallA

RandallA Legend

Feb 4, 2005
    It's just reclaiming space that was used for VOD. They might be giving up on VOD.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    THAT would be a nice change - we never used VOD...

11. cj9788

cj9788 Hall Of Fame

May 14, 2003
    I think they are givng up the space to make up for the 625 not having external hard drive capability. Who knows, could b any reason.

12. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Godfather

Sep 4, 2005
    Good. :)

13. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    When they added time to the 721 they dropped the plans for VOD on that receiver.

14. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
  15. manicd

manicd Legend

Jan 30, 2003

Well, I called Dish Tech support again. Of course, talked to a different tech. Very pleasant. Apologized for the misinformation given on th 18th. He did verify the above quote.

He stated that L4.62 has been released to all 625s. And of course the update requirement the hard drive was to be empty was to protect the recordings on the 625s.

I asked him how to more or less force an update when one has emptied their drive and and get the update. He stated there was no way to force an update becuase it was software based. But he did say one could change the update time.

On the remote hit Menu-8-5 to take you into the update menu. Make sure "updates" is enabled" Change the time to one you want and hit done. Make sure both tuners are off. When the that time comes around, you should get the update.

He also stressed that one should make sure NO timers are set to fire during that time.

So, personally I would keep any timers off for at least a half hour before and and hour after that time.

Of course, if you can keep the hard drive empty over night, you wouldn't have to change the time, but timers would need to be off for that time period.

I am going to try and get my drive empty again bfore noon and set the update time to 1 pm. Then go to bed. Hopefully when I get up, it will have updated.

I will post back when I get up if it worked or not.

16. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    That sucks - I have to delete all recorded shows to get the additional space...

17. Ray_Clum

Ray_Clum Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Rob,

Your notes only specify the 625 receiver. Is the 522 affected as well?

18. manicd

manicd Legend

Jan 30, 2003
    UPDATE:

Well, I got done early and tried to get the update. It did not work. Called Dish again was told to try again and call back if it didn't work.

I ended up calling back. Was finally switched to advanced tech. They had me try all kinds of things, but my unit just would not take the update. They are sending me a new unit.

I asked them if under normal circumstances, would the update method they originaly told me would work. They said it would.

I just have a quirky box, just like it's user!

19. Rob Glasser

Feb 22, 2005
    It sounds like they have to reformat the drive to get the extra space which means that you would lose all recordings if they forced it. I'm glad they aren't risking the expansion if you have content on your DVR, if it was me I'd hate to wake up one morning to all my recordings gone.

Also, just to make it a bit clearer, the L4.62 update and the expansion are separate. i.e. if you still have recordings you should still get L4.62, however you won't see the size expansion, until the night after an update when you have no recordings on your 625.

20. Rob Glasser

Feb 22, 2005
    I don't know anything about the 522 getting this release, I was only told for the 625. I don't have either receiver personally so I don't know how similar or different they are. If they don't typically run the same software with the same features I'd have to say now but I'll find out.