1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of HD on ESPN2

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by jdh8668, Dec 24, 2008.

1. jdh8668

jdh8668 Legend

Nov 7, 2007
    Sat down to watch the Illinois/Missouri game last night on ESPN2HD only to discover that once again, ESPN2 wasn't showing the game in HD. Got rid of the annoying bars on the side by cropping my picture. In fact, looking further at ESPN2's schedule, it appears that live sporting events aren't broadcast in HD, only studio shows produced by them. What a waste of HD space. You'd think with the money ESPN2 makes off of subscribers, they could afford a few more HD cameras, etc...to be able to produce live events in HD. The Big Ten network blows them away when it comes to live HD events.

2. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    I am willing to bet that with college bowl season in full swing, things should improve for basketball after New Years?

3. lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Could be a reduction in production cost because of reduced ad revenue. But later, after the bowl games, more college games will probably be in HD. Just because the economy is tanking, does not mean that production cost are moving lower. There is a significant difference in the cost of up-linking an SD feed then up-linking and HD feed from the game site.

I wonder how many Billy Mays advertisements it would take to make up the difference? :nono2: :rolleyes: :lol: