1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lake house service problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ronney, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Apr 5, 2009 #1 of 27
    ronney

ronney New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    I have an account with Direct TV. I have 3 receivers, 2 at my main home and the other receiver at my Lake House. The Lake House receiver is not connected to a phone line. This setup has worked great for 3 years. This past weekend we turned on the Lake receiver and could only tune in the Direct TV preview channel 200 and the Direct TV basics channel 201. Every other channel gave the number for ordering information. I called my son at home and had him check the other 2 receivers. They were working perfectly. I brought the Lake receiver home today and connected it to the home dish and it worked perfectly (without being connected to phone line). Any ideas??? Just a note, I actually have a stronger signal at the lake than at home. Thanks for the help.

2. Apr 5, 2009 #2 of 27
    Greyshadow2007

Greyshadow2007 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    Do you remember the specific error message? It sounds possible that the receiver may have temporarily lost its authorization information...

3. Apr 5, 2009 #3 of 27
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Just call / log in to resend authorization.

4. Apr 5, 2009 #4 of 27
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Authorization information is not transmitted via the phone, so not having one connected will make no difference.

5. Apr 5, 2009 #5 of 27
    ronney

ronney New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    I am afraid I am confused. If it lost it's authorization, Why would it work at one location and not another?

6. Apr 5, 2009 #6 of 27
    barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I would assume its become de-authorized due to inactivity. I have to do this from time to time in our RV.

A quick phone call to 1-800 DIRECTV fixes it every time.

7. Apr 5, 2009 #7 of 27
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Very possibly it was a simple reboot was all it needed, and that happened when you moved it.

8. Apr 5, 2009 #8 of 27
    ronney

ronney New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    There was no error message, It just gave me the telephone number for ordering that channel. If it lost it's authorization, would it work at home and not at the lake?? When I got it home I disconnected one of my receivers and connected the one from the lake and it worked perfectly.

9. Apr 5, 2009 #9 of 27
    ronney

ronney New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    I did try to reboot the receiver. I unplugged it and plugged it right back in. Is it necessary to wait a specific amount of time before I plug it back in?

10. Greyshadow2007

Greyshadow2007 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    There should be some sort of error code associated. If you were to take the receiver and go to a channel you don't subscribe to, you should get something like a 721 error code, with a number to call to subscribe. If a receiver loses authorizations due to inactivity, you would get something like a 722 code, with a similar message to call Customer Service. If you weren't seeing either error, it would be difficult to provide an answer without more information...

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Just to preface this it's against DirecTV policy to have service at 2 locations active at the same time. You cabin should be setup on it's own account and suspended when not in use or receivers at 1 home should be deactivated and the other receiver activated.

While this is a technical question I just figured that it could start to possibly go astray and be locked by a mod if the conversation turned to how to do it.

Without the error message no one is really going to be able to say why. The reboot is what fixed it. If your receiver was plugged in the whole time it wasn't an authorization problem unless your cabin lost power or you had a signal problem that hasn't been fixed. Chances are the latter happened. My guess is it just froze up for whatever reason and you were never there to reset it.

12. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    The STB's in our motorhome are on the same account as our home. I have definitely had to call D* and have them re-authorized.

I have always had an error code, so please check again and post your findings.

13. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    I agree, unless you have a motorhome waiver. A cabin will not adhere to this policy, and this could in fact be part of the OP's problem.

14. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    D*could not possibly know where the receiver is being used without it being on a phone/internet connection.

15. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    This is where the thread goes into the area or probably getting locked.

16. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    True. I am awaiting to see what error code comes forth.

17. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Not trying to involve the D* police, just trying to understand the OP's problem.

18. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    We will never know because he doesn't remember the message on the screen or if there even was one.

19. ronney

ronney New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Sorry, definitely no error message. The only thing it said on each and every channel except for 200 and 201 was "For ordering information please contact customer service ext. 732"

20. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Receivers that have not been turned on for long periods of times will need to be reauthorized. This happens with one of my receivers often as I only turn it on when I use it out back.

I suspect that it will authorize itself if you just leave it on and wait long enough, but I'm not certain of that. The easiest and fastest way to take care of it is to simply go to the following URL:

Resend Authorization

this is basically the same thing that DIRECTV CSRs will do if you call, just saves you the call.