1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Land-Line for "Cable-Co" references

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Earl Bonovich, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    As of late... I have found my self referring to other distribution companies (other then DirecTV or Dish) as Cable-Co/FIOS...

But with FIOS being a "brand" name...

What about adopting "Land-Line" as a way to reference the carriers that don't use SAT or RADIO waves to distribute their signal to their customers?

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Not bad, at one point I heard TTDS's (terrestrial television delivery services) but yours is snappier.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Cable/Fiber TV ?

"Land Line" is phone service ... generally plain old telephone service.

4. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    As a fios customer, I usually refer to them as either 'fiber' or even just 'cable'. From a regulatory perspective they really are a cable company. They are beholden to the same rules and regulations as traditional cable companies. I distinguish them by referring to companies like Comcast as 'traditional cable'. Even the transmission methods are similar (e.g. QAM). But I understand the desire to do that - many analysts break it out as: cable, satellite, and fiber, where 'fiber' means 'fios and u-verse'. That seems to make the most sense to me.

5. thumperr

thumperr Godfather

Feb 10, 2006
    I have to agree with James, i hear land line and think POTS.

6. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Your proposal sounds like a solution in fruitless search of a problem.

I don't have an issue referring to fiber-optic delivery of video as "FIOS".
    I still call facial tissue "Kleenex" and sodas as "Coke".
    So is "DirecTV" and "DishNetwork"
    Not such a good idea, as the term "landline" has been in widely-accepted
    use for decades as a generic descriptive of POTS.

7. boelters

boelters AllStar

Feb 10, 2008
    How about Cable Light?:lol:

8. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    How about Tel-Co? That would apply to Verizon Fios and AT&T U-verse. To differentiate - Tel-co FTTH for Fios, Telco FTTN for Uverse.

9. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I also think of a phone when someone says "Land-Line".

Perhaps "cabled service"?

10. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    I'll go back and ask the question - what's wrong with using the term 'fiber'? I know, I know, there are issues with that. Comcast claims that they use more fiber than Verizon does (I don't doubt that's true). Likewise, as jacksonm pointed out, U-Verse, in some respects, has more in common with Comcast than with Verizon - they predominantly run FTTN, which isn't all that different from what Comcast does (although U-Verse runs IPTV service).

But I can make similar arguments about other services. We refer to DirecTV and Dish as 'satellite' and yet all cable companies at some point rely on satellite transmission to get their tv service to your house. My point is, the business community separates them as cable, satellite, and fiber. I see no reason to do otherwise.

11. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I think "hard-wired" is accurate, but not very glamourous.

12. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Everyone on my French Canadian side of the family still calls a refrigerator, "da frigidare".

So what do you call cocaine?

13. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    What is wrong with just keeping with the accepted and common used vernacular?
    Everybody knows what it means and what people are referring to.

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Cocaine.

Since I don't use, deal or traffic, I don't know or employ the
    so-called "hip" street vernacular, what else would I call it? :shrug:

15. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Verizon Fios is just a cable service with the fiber extending to the home instead of the node. Verizon will never market their service as cable, because that's not cool. Having commercials with some goofball using fancy words to an eight year old is what Verizon is all about. Here's a way to classify the service, Disappointment. For a company that promises so much, they sure do fail to deliver. From my 'crappy cable company' I get the same broadband speeds Verizon offers in most of the country and I have twice if not more the number of HD channels they offer. Fios doesn't impress me one bit, and from the way it sounds AT&T U-Verse is even worse.

Just got word next month Time Warner deploys digital phone to my town. Verizon, GET THE HELL OUT OF MY HOUSE!

16. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Just throwing an idea out there....

Since there are multiple different technologises to distribute the signal, but the models are similar in the two major arenas.

In the Sat world... DirecTV and DishNetwork... pretty all the national channels are consistent accross the entire nation.... If they are available in LA... they are available in NY and Chicago.

In the other world (Cable-Co, Fiber, ect)... you can have different channels "national variety"... the next city over

The "bandwith" considerations are similar between the two arenas.

Sat - we know how that goes.
    And the others, are regional base... so they don't have the same type of bandwith issues.

Billing, bundling, ect....

Just looking for a generic term to use when referencing the "other" world, outside Sat.

17. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    For Verizon, the line ups are the same nationwide, with exceptions for locals and RSNs. ESPN HD is on 826 no matter where you live.

18. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Ca(ble)+(FI)os=Caos so Chaos it is?

19. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    Ah, how about "non-Satellite" then ;-)

20. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    This is another area where fios differs from traditional cable, though. As Steve says, Verizon has a consistent national channel lineup (I respectfully disagree with his assessment of fios, but to each his own). The reason Verizon is better able to do this than traditional cable is because they follow more of a 'top-down' approach to channel distribution, whereas traditional cable goes more 'bottom-up'. That is, Verizon feeds out all channels from a Super-Head End (SHE). From there it's distributed down to regional offices (VHOs), and from there to the individual cable offices. Traditional cable is very much segmented - each cable office is fed differently - which is why there are some 12 different Comcast channel line-ups in the Philly region alone.

BTW, one last point, going to Steve's point - while I agree that the commercial with the kid is a bit on the goofy side, the commercial with Michael Bay is, well 'awesome!' :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.