1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Landlord permission

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by curt8403, Feb 11, 2010.

1. curt8403

curt8403 Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2007
    For the installers out there, do you require written permission from a landlord, or will you accept verbal permission?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    Only written!

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If the customer has a balcony or patio (i.e., an "exclusive use area") that has LOS, then no permission is needed. Other than that, I need written permission from the landlord before I attach anything to the building, install a pole, or drill.

4. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Cover your butt. The installer isn't going to take the heat if you're landlord gets upset, you will. Get written permission, and make a copy for yourself.

5. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Directv even has a form:
    It allows the dish to be put up, cable to be run & holes to be drilled as necessary.

For fun ask who holds the general liability insurance.

You, the customer, still are responsible for what maybe considered damage when you move out. If the tech drills a pipe or wire in your wall . . .

Joe

6. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    !rolling!rolling!rolling!rolling

7. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Written.

Professional landlords include instructions in the lease. Some also include the cartoons from the FCC web site. Either or both will do.

Less knowledgeable or perhaps shrewder slum lords provide a handwriten note that goes something like, "You have permission to have satellite installed." this along with my signed pre-installation worksheet get turned in with the workorder. Guaranteed to cost someone their security deposit.

8. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    same thing as him. From experience I know how most of the complexes around my area work and their rules. And the customer will definitely be signing a prework authorization form before anything is done