1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Landlord refuses services at twin home

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Jodean, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Well i think i ran into a special guy this time.

The lady in the second unit (duplex or twin home) orders directv from our store at the mall. I get called for the install.

Get out there look at what she has, wants to keep midco phone and internet. Ok, look at cabling and phone lines in house. Nope, not going to happen without a cable or phone cord running across the carpet at bottom of stairs.

Ok, so i offer to sell her century link phone and internet which comes out being cheaper than midcos. Ok done deal, wait for century, then install directv. Meanwhile i notice there is a metal padlock on the cable box outside. Hmm, midco always uses plastic pad locks that you just cut with the cable cutter. Since now all utility boxes belong to the home owner and not the cable or telephone company anymore.

Ok so renter calls landlord, says its his lock and she cant get directv or century link and says he wired the place for midco and that's all you can have.

Wow, ok that was quite a shocker, Ive been denied to mount a dish before, but have never heard of someone denying the other phone service to his rental house.

At this point in time im aggravated enough to get involved. I called the owner up and explained how its against federal law to not allow services to renters and it doesn't matter if he owns the building unless he lives there.

I offered to meet him there and go over how we can install directv without drilling of any kind, he refused to do so and claims he is calling his lawyer. Ok so a couple days go by and he calls me back and says he wants to go ahead and deny services after talking with his lawyer. WOW! I dont think I ever expected that call!! LOL wtf?

AT this point i no longer care about the customer wanting services, I just want to put this guy in his place.

What should I do?

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Look for a more profitable install.

3. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    Im not doing this one to make any money, dont care if i actually lose money on this one.....

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You've acted honorably, let the tenants do the fighting. My old lawyer would have asked what possible benefit I could get by suing the owner. He always cautioned me against "tilting at windmills".

Rich

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Why?

If the potential customer is willing to pay for you to go the extra mile, it makes sense to follow through, but i suspect they wouldn't want to pay anything extra.

And I'm not sure you can force a thing, even with OTARD. I think the customer has to do that.

Sounds like a money losing job with no real benefit to you, and I'm not even an installer.

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Maybe LordVader can help out! :)

7. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I'm pretty sure the tenant has to be the one to go to the FCC.

8. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    There is no federal protection if you need to use any facility of the building. If you need access to a locked panel, you're SOL. If you can get line of sight and install a dish without making any holes, OTARD will protect you.

I'm not aware of any protection for choosing a telephone service in a rental property.

9. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I'm not a lawyer but this is what I would do:

First review the lease and see if there's a section stating that service cannot be changed. If not then get a written response as to the reason for the rejection of allowing her to change serivce. After that you need to contact a lawyer who handles tenant rights or the attorney general.

I do not think it is legal to stop someone from changing a service but as you know there are laws that protect the property owners from things that can permanently change the building.

However I doubt the tentant will want to cause issues with her landlord. Most tenants are willing to give up many rights and choices for fear of causes issues. This is also true with renters in HoAs.

10. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
  11. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    It was slow for me earlier, but seems okay now.

12. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Same here. Also no problems on the iPhone app. Sorry to hijack this thread :D

Kevin

13. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The big difference in these 2 cases is that one has exclusive use of a specific area, covered by OTARD, in this one, not the case.

In all cases though, while you may win the battle of getting the provider of your choice, the landlord is under no obligation to renew your lease either.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, mine is slow too. Give it a half hour when the first game starts and it should clear up, I think.

Rich