1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Larry Hagman, Dead at Age 81

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Nov 24, 2012.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/23/larry-hagman-dies-2/

2. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    NBC News just reported it.Extremely sad. R.I.P Larry.You wil lbe missed.

3. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    This is, indeed, sad. Dallas was my favorite night time drama and remains it to this day. I watched the reboot, but with JR Ewing officially dead, my desire to watch the next season is greatly diminished.

They ought to somehow properly write that into the series and see if there's a way to give him a send off.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    So long Larry. R.I.P.

5. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    J.R. was a mentor to the amoral, a hero to connivers everywhere. Truly, a great loss.

6. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Terrible Loss, RIP

7. larry55

larry55 Legend

Jun 3, 2010
    Will miss j.r. One of my favorite.

8. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    was just watching him last night on I Dream of Genie ! He will be missed :(

I always got a kick out of him on Dallas with his wild eyebrows lol

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    ^^ Jeannie

10. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    This shocked me when I first read it. Dallas was and is a favorite show of mine. Am so saddened to hear this. R.I.P.

11. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    To me, Larry Hagmann was a great philosopher who made a huge difference in my life.

Dallas was known as a fun show to work. It was a happy set. Everyone put that squarely on the shoulders of Larry Hagmann. He was the cast's leader and know as a very easy guy with whom to work.

When asked how he he did it, it gave the credit to his mother, Broadway and film star, Mary Martin. Some of you will know her as the star of the 1950s-60s stage versions of South Pacific and Peter Pan. She was also known as a happy person and she taught her son a lesson: Fake It 'Til You Make It.

Everyone has days they don't feel great. You don't want to go to work. So did Mary Martin. When she didn't feel enthused, she said she just acted happy. That's all. She just pretended to be happy She found she had to do it only for a short while. Soon she'd start being happy. It worked for her and she recommended the technique to her son. Larry Hagmann thought, "I'm an actor. If I can certainly act happy." Sure enough, within minutes he became happy. He'd no longer be acting. Instead, he'd be joking around the set, a happy guy, making the Dallas a great place for the actors and the crew.

Fake It 'Til You Make It.

I heard Larry Hagmann tell this story about Fake It 'Til You Make It on the radio one day. I had already realized my #1 job as stereo store owner was to be the chief cheerleader. If I was having a bad day, everyone in the store would have a bad day. I was fortunate that I had a pleasant fifteen minute drive from home to work. During that fifteen minutes, I would talk to myself, telling myself I was going to have a good day. I'd sing along with the car stereo, turning off the news. I'd work hard on having a smile on my face when I walked through the door at the store.

The trick worked for me, too. I didn't have to work on being happy once I was at the store. I simply was happy. My good mood often would spread to the employees and often affected the customers. At least 80% of sales is enthusiasm. If I really like my store, my job and our gear, I'm much more likely to get a customer to like them, too.

Fake It 'Til You Make It. It's one of the central tenets of my life. When eleven years ago I was paralyzed from the waist down because my L4 vertebra had exploded, I still had a positive attitude about life and my chances. I was clear that a good attitude was essential to learning how to walk again.

At work, I'd play games with my staff. Once, going into the last day of a long, exhausting after-Christmas sale, every one on the staff was totally beat. We still had a day of selling to do. I was counting on big sales that day and instead I had a bunch of burned out robots, asking, "Can I help you?" I went to the neighboring toy store and came back with half a dozen pre-loaded ping pong ball guns. I spread all but one around the store and started firing. A huge ping pong ball war broke out. Customers got involved. All the salesmen got a second wind and we hit our sales goal for the day.

Fake It 'Til You Make It. It will change your life. It has mine.

Larry Hagmann was my guru.

12. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    He convinced me that he was Tony Nelson. He later convinced me that he was J.R. Ewing. Two totally opposite characters--he handled both of them equally well and was convincing in both. This is the mark of a truly great actor. Of course, he performed in many other roles with equally convincing force. Tony Nelson and J.R. are just the roles he is best known for.

13. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    I was seriously addicted to the show Dallas right up until the episode "Who shot JR" first ran.

RIP Larry :(

14. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN

I was totally addicted the the 78-91 series. I've watched it fully through and then watched on and off after that. I was too young when the show was on air to understand what going on so I watched it over 3 years via Netflix. I also like the new series. To me personally there will be no Dallas without JR. I do wonder what TNT is going to do however.

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I agree that Dallas without J.R. Ewing is not Dallas.

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Over 30 years ago, the question that everyone asked was "Who shot JR?" That's mightly impressive.

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    They said that about Jock and Miss Ellie too. A good series surpasses such things.

18. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Jock and Miss Ellie were not the principals of that show. They weren't nearly as essential to the entire plot line as was JR Ewing. He is the main reason most people tune in to see the show, whether it be the original or the reboot.

19. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I agree. I don't for see a further season 3 after TNT airs season 2 and puts JR to rest. Unless the new cast can pick it up. But even people that had never seen the classic Dallas watched the new series to see the legend that was JR.

20. runner861

runner861 Icon

Mar 20, 2010
    I wouldn't rule out the new series "Dallas" being able to continue without Larry Hagman. It depends how they handle it. Death comes to everyone, so we will have to see. The prior series survived the death of Jock and actually built on it.