1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lasik update

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Jun 21, 2012.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    My driver's license will be up for renewal next January and I am certain I will not pass the eyesight test without glasses or Lasik surgery. Just before my previous renewal exam in 2008, I had some driving glasses made up as a precaution, and while I barely passed it in 2008 without using them, I am certain I would not pass it this time.

I see in some older threads here that other forum members have paid $3,000 to $4,000 for Lasik surgery, but I often hear much lower prices advertised on the radio, so I'm not expecting to pay any more than $2,000, but when I started to search for the lowest local prices, I carne across several comments warning that during the pre-op analysis, many people are told that they do not qualify for the advertised rate and get "upsold" to a more expensive operation. Regrettably, I will probably be legitimately diagnosed to need something more involved than the standard operation because my right eye has developed a slight double image that I only notice when reading small type on my computer screen.

I am inclined to go to the same doctor who had checked my sight back in 1998 when it was still 20-20 and see what his prognosis is, and then see if I can use what I learn from that visit to get the best price on that procedure elsewhere.

Has anyone here had any experience with a pre-op determining that they would need something more expensive than the standard, commonly discount priced Lasik surgery?

2. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Many times those low rates are for small corrections and the price rises as the amount of correction needed increases. I guess the theory is that someone who just needs a small correction won't be in the market for Lasik and therefore won't take them up on their offer.

The slight double image you describe sounds to me like you may have a cataract in that eye. No amount of lasik or glasses will fix that. I highly suggest you see an optometrist. And soon.

The good news is that cataracts are easily fixable and are covered by most insurance plans.

3. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I had my LASIK back in 2009; I love, love, love it!

Now, having said that, to my way of thinking, I only have one set of eyeballs; I don't want to trust them to the lowest bidder.

I chose TLC - www.tlcvision.com - for my surgery; they weren't cheap, but the pre-op, surgery, and post-op were excellent. Highly recommended.

Now, a quick way to save a few dollars?

Sign up for VSP - www.vsp.com . If it's available through your employer, great! If not, you can sign up individually for about $160 or so. That will entitle you to a $500 discount at either NVision or TLC.

Good deal, eh?

4. jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354 Icon

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta
    I had LASIK done ~5 years ago. Best thing I ever did! Blue Cross Blue Shield of GA gave a $500 discount at the time. If I recall I paid $2000 including the coupon. I had a slight astigmatism in one eye. My contacts had a power of -2.5 in one eye and -3.5 in the other, which I had been told was not too terribly bad.

5. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I see there is a product called Cataract Eye Drops that is cheaper than cataract surgery. Has that product ever worked for anyone, ever?

6. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Not that I am aware. One of the leading ones does contain an ingredient that has been show to possibly help prevent cataracts, but it won't fix them. The drops do give the illusion of working simply because they help lubricate dry eyes, so people see better right after they use them.

7. jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    My wife had cataracts which caused her vision to rapidly deteriorate. The eye doctor put drops in her eyes to dilate the pupils so that she could examine the cataracts. While her eyes were dilated, she could see fine. Unfortunately the results were temporary. The only real cure is surgery which took about a half hour.

8. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm 52 and I have a developing cataract in my right eye. Right now, my prescription is -4.25 in that eye and -2.25 in my left. (Ughh!)

Yes, I do see double without glasses/contacts in that eye.

Unfortunately, my optometrist said they won't be allowed to correct it untill it gets worse. It's not "medically necessary" as long as you can correct with contacts or glasses.

9. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    My first cataract started developing around 50 as well, but it was easily corrected for a number of years. At 55 glasses could no longer make up for the poor vision, but my other eye was still good. At 60 a cataract started to form in the 'good' eye. My ophthalmologist recommended lens replacement in both eyes. They were done about 30 days apart. I was totally amazed, for the first time in over 50 years I no longer needed glasses! I do use readers. The surgery itself was a breeze, pre-op measuring for the lens inserts was a time consuming involved procedure. Not only is your vision corrected, but the colors and the pure whites were astounding to see.

10. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Like Dave, I had cataract surgery on both eyes. I opted to have Restor corrective interocular lenses installed and was amazed at how well I could see. Corrective lenses are covered under most eye plans these days. Lasik is a trendy procedure and is not favored by a large percentage of ophthalmologists, because it isn't anywhere near as successful or permanent as corrective lenses. Both my optometrist and the opthamologist who performed the surgery on my eyes recommended against Lasik in my case.
    If you have cataracts, you doubtless are a candidate for cataract surgery. The clouded lens in your eye is replaced with a plastic interocular lens (IOL), which may be monofocal or multifocal in nature. Lenses like Restor and Rezoom are generally multifocal in nature and are helpful in correcting presbyopia.
    Like Dave, I do wear reading glasses at times, particularly when reading very small print or low contrast print.
    Here's a link to a discussion about IOL's -- http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/multifocal-iols.htm

11. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Be very wary of the "LASIK mills," those chain places who advertise specials, etc. These are your eyes--your EYESIGHT--we're talking about here. No room for mistakes.

I did my research and chose an ophthalmologist whose father taught ophthalmology at Northwestern and who taught LASIK. The son has his own practice and is the team ophthalmologist to the Chicago Cubs (which might not be anything of which to boast). He has done over 10,000 procedures with not one complication.

My procedure, which included all the pre-op testing, a free set of glasses to wear for a few weeks prior to surgery (I had worn contacts for decades up to that point), all the post-operative care, etc., cost me $3600. I applied for Care Credit and paid for it via 24-month financing, with no interest if the total was paid off in 24 months.

It was the best elective procedure I ever had, and I highly recommend it to anyone who can physically have it.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I had PRK (Lasik's slow-healing twin) about 5 years ago now. I had it done at Millenium Laser Eye, which is now part of TLC. I was very happy with my procedure. I was not eligible for Lasik due to my cornea shape, but PRK was possible.

In Lasik, they cut a flap off your cornea, reshape it, and then put the flap back. The flap acts as a natural band-aid. In PRK, they reshape the cornea right on top and then give you a contact to wear for a few days to help start the healing process. The contact is then removed. Since the part of the your eye that had the surgery is exposed, the healing process takes a bit longer.

- Merg

13. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I'm curious as to how good they can make your vision.

Growing up, I had 20/15 or better vision. 40 years of starting at computer screens a couple of feet away had made me a little nearsighted. Now, 20/30 vision may be just fine by most standards and I'm thankful I can still pass the driver's test without glasses.. But I'm curious if I could ever get back to the vision I *used* to have or even back to 20/20. I guess what I'm saying is that I wonder if my eyes are NOT bad enough off that Lasik would do any good.

14. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    I don't think I'd risk it considering your eyesight is still pretty good. While LASIK may not be that risky, I wouldn't want to have any risk to my eyesight with 20/30. In fact, I am in the same boat you are. My eyesight is about 20/30 with a bit of astigmatism. If I'm not reading or using the computer, I don't need my glasses (though I still wear them about 95% of the time). I don't need them for driving, and my sunglasses are not prescription. I passed the eye test at the DMV so no restriction on my license.

There's just no way the small improvement in vision is worth the procedure.

15. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I went from eyesight of 20/400 to 20/15 after LASIK. The procedure really is that good.

16. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    One thing to be aware of is that they will not guarantee you will be 20/15. Usually, the goal is to get you to 20/40 or better.

- Merg

17. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I'll second that!

I was 20/80 in one eye and 20/200 in the other.

Now, I'm 20/15 in one eye, and "better than" 20/15 in the other. To the point where they don't have letters small enough on the eye chart to fool me!

The results are simply incredible. I can't begin to tell you how awesome it is to be able to wake up in the morning, see the alarm clock, take a shower, etc. all without dealing with glasses or contacts!

Amazing stuff, this LASIK.

18. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    [​IMG]

19. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Get a new optometrist or make an appointment with an eye surgeon. That is the old school notion that they need to be "ripe" before they will operate. As long as there is a cataract in your eye and if affects your vision, you are a candidate for surgery.

20. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I had early onset cataracts and had surgery on both eyes. I had a Technis (same as a ReStor, but different brand) in my non-dominant eye and a Rezoom in my dominant eye. I have not see this well since I was in my teens.

My distance vision is 20/15 with some letters from the 20/10 line. I can read without glasses, but need low power readers (.25 and .50) to see the computer screen clearly.

And I will never suffer from presbyopia which is a loss of near vision as we age from our natural lens getting less flexible. I still have a decent amount of astigmatism in one eye (Dr. did Limbal Relaxing Incisions in both eyes, one took the other didn't) so I may get some Lasik to finish correcting that.