1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Latest Genie Receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Goodwrnch03, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Goodwrnch03

Goodwrnch03 Mentor

Feb 23, 2007
    I am set up to get a Genie to replace an old HR22. What is the latest model receiver being installed?

I want to make sure i get the latest equipment.

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    You'd want the new Genie.
    An HR44 is the latest, it comes in various dash number flavors but they're all more or less the same.
    HR44 is smaller and faster than the original HR34-700 Genie and has a wireless interface to your home network in addition to the wired (use one or the other, not both).
    You can still use an old remote in IR mode with the new Genie otherwise you need the new peanut remote to use RF (new RF protocol is used that is not compatible with older units). Some like it and some don't. Toggles are okay but some functions are missing and buttons could be better placed, A cheap remote for a top of the line DVR.
    I get frustrated at the old Genie when it requires a wait time between menu selections or it ignores you.
    Assuming that you've read the Quick Look(s)?

3. R0am3r

R0am3r Legend

Sep 20, 2008
    I received the HR44-200 on Saturday. I really like this unit, but the caller-id doesn't work properly.

4. Goodwrnch03

Goodwrnch03 Mentor

Feb 23, 2007
    Thanks for the info.

Installer is here and running new cable to dish and installing new SWM16. Wiring is corroded on two of the coax connectors inside, he said he was surprised the system was even working.

The DVR is a HR44-700, i looked at the box.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    -700's have always been popular around here. You're good to go once he works out the wiring issues.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    This is a known issue and is expected to be addressed in the next software update, or the one after that.

7. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    I know many users really are concerned with the caller ID. I was until I dropped my landline. But if it's offered, it should work.

8. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Is a SWM16 dish needed for HR44 and 2 minis with Whole Home Service? I have a SWM dish installed that was used for HR24 before I left DTV. I am scheduled for install of Genie and 2 minis tomorrow. There is snow on the roof, and will that be a problem? The dish is located on the roof, and it's high enough that one needs a ladder.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    No, that is just 5 tuners, a SWM LNB handles up to 8 tuners.

10. maerativo

maerativo New Member

Jul 23, 2008
    N. California
    Caller ID works with my Ooma system. No land line.

11. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ooma is a landline...it just uses the internet to route calls rather than POTS (Plain Old Telephone System).

12. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
  13. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Any telephone service that uses the Internet is not Landline.

14. jborchel

jborchel Legend

Oct 7, 2005
    This appeared in Swanni's column today:

"The tech site writes that DIRECTV has announced that it has launched a WVB access point (AP) and the C41W set-top. They come with the new Quantenna 4x4 802.11ac WiFi technology, which can ensure speeds up to 1.7GBps, faster than most routers on the market. CNET says the set-tops will be offered for free to both existing and new customers, but the company's track record suggests it could be tied to a two-year customer agreement."

Is this the HR44-700 discussed in this thread? WillDTV really replace my HR34 with this at no charge as Swanni says? What do you really get with this new receiver that my HR34 doesn't have?

15. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    "The tech site writes that DIRECTV has announced that it has launched a WVB access point (AP) and the C41W set-top. They come with the new Quantenna 4x4 802.11ac WiFi technology, which can ensure speeds up to 1.7GBps, faster than most routers on the market."

Gives me an excuse to upgrade to 802.11ac.

16. Cavicchi

Cavicchi Legend

Oct 28, 2008
    Effort, PA
    Wonderful, and I just had an HR44 C41 install yesterday and began a 2-year contract :blackeye: :mad: :( :bang

17. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    This is a client system that works with your genie, didn't replace it.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually not at all. Its a completely close system that doesn't integrate at all with your current wifi and never will.

I hate bad reporting and that's what these articles are.

Check the first looks for the c41w from early this year. That's what they are talking about.