1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laughing at Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by toobs, Aug 12, 2013.

1. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I need to laugh at Genie because some of the stuff it records is just funny. I record The Newsroom on HBO. I was checking with Genie and it also records the same show, but in Spanish :). It is just funny on how off Genie can be.

2. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    shh, I don't dare laugh at mine, its a new box and its listening to me. :righton:

1 person likes this.
  3. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Genie is recording shows from Tvland like The Exes,Soulman and Hot in Cleveland that are not in my package line up (Mas Ultra) and when I click on to view it wont let me.

All I get is a gray screen with the 30 minute scrub bar at the bottom.

If Genie is going to bother recording and recommending said programs at least let me be avaible to view the shows.Who knows maybe I will like the shows and upgrade to a new package.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    A lot of the same here;

I personally don't why I even leave "Genie Recommends" on. It never records anything even close to my viewing habits. Perhaps its just because it records them to the HDD partition that's inaccessible for subscriber recordings anyway so I don't really care.

And there's always the remote chance that is may record something of interest to me, but so far after many months now since the feature's availability, nothing even close that I'm interested in watching....

Not to be critical mind you, since I don't write code, but those who designed the GR selection algorithm pretty much failed from everything I can see.

:nono2:

5. toobs

toobs Legend

Oct 10, 2012
    I'm hoping that Genie will pick up new shows for the fall season, but as for right now, its totally useless.

6. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It DirecTV way in telling you to upgrade your service.