1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laundry

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1 of 76
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've been doing the laundry since I quit working in '94 and I cannot see how two people that work can keep up with their laundry. Just 3 of us during the week and 4 on the weekends and I have a hard time keeping up (that's really about all I do around the house).

So, how do you do it? I can't even begin to imagine how a couple who both work with 4 or 5 young kids can possibly keep up.

I'm so frustrated by the sheer volume of laundry, I'm about to go buy another dryer. Just bought one and electric dryers just can't keep up with washing machines. I think having two dryers would solve that problem.

But, then you have to fold everything. More time spent. Frustrating, it is.

Rich

2. Mar 1, 2013 #2 of 76
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    It's not easy!
    We have 3 kids at home (10, 8, 3) and Mrs. Fluffybear works the oddest shift so laundry is pretty much up to me as I work from home most of the week.

I try to do laundry 2 days a week (especially darks & whites) plus a half-day for Mrs. Fluffybear's uniforms and linnens.

If you try and do it all in one day, it will consume you!!!

3. Mar 1, 2013 #3 of 76
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, it just keeps coming. There's gotta be a better way.

Rich

4. Mar 1, 2013 #4 of 76
    jerry downing

jerry downing Godfather

Mar 7, 2004
    Illinois
    If the dryer can't keep up, you may have a blocked exhaust vent. These should be checked from time to time and cleared if necessary to prevent a fire hazard.

5. Mar 1, 2013 #5 of 76
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got a short run to the vent and put new flexible piping in a couple times a year. I've never had a gas dryer, always electrical and I've never seen a dryer that could keep up with a washer.

Rich

6. Mar 1, 2013 #6 of 76
    fmcomputer

fmcomputer Legend

Oct 14, 2006
    Youngstown....
    This brings back memory's. We had 3 girls plus the wife, and I installed 2 hot water tanks,2 washers and 2 dryers. Not much fun. Just a note if you put a dry towel into the dryer with the wet clothes they will dry much faster .. Good Luck

7. Mar 1, 2013 #7 of 76
    houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    work uniforms :)
    I have about 4 loads every 2 weeks (2 are towels)..

8. Mar 1, 2013 #8 of 76
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I do laundry on Friday nights between 11:00pm and 2:30am Eastern time ;)

9. Mar 1, 2013 #9 of 76
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Laundry? What's that?

I'll have to ask my housekeeper if she knows. :p

(She gives 'fluff & fold' a whole new meaning ;))

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, Friday nights between chats is a time for a load or two.... of washing!

Now, I observe that some children, even some adults, change their clothes excessively and toss things in the wash at the drop of a hat. Increases your work load and wears things out prematurely.

11. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I made a career in the Army. During those 25 years my wife and I raised three boys. Doing laundry was a daily routine for us. While time consuming it's not a difficult task. I mean really, the machines are doing the majority of the work. The key is learning how to occupy your time between loads.

12. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I had odd laundry experiences when I was younger.

When I was single, everything was fine Did my laundry every week or two. No big deal.

Got married - still wasn't so bad. Divorced and remarried - again no big deal.

Then I had kids. The clothes started to pile up. Wife did the laundry - asked us to separate into whites/lights/darks. Again no problem. She'd sometimes spend a couple of days doing laundry shifts when it would get piled up. But as the kids got older, bad things started to happen. My clothes would get lost for weeks. I'd send them down and they'd never come back up.

So... I started doing my own laundry again. Usually on Sundays (sports events and DVRs are great for making laundry breaks). How did my now-ex-wife respond? She was FURIOUS at me for doing my own laundry. I mean, all I wanted to do was to make sure that my supply of dress shirts (for work) came back up within days of going downstairs.. Go figure...

Now I'm married to a woman who appreciates it when I do my own laundry :)

13. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    A good gas dryer will run rings around an electric one. Even with the issues we have had with our LG washer, the dryer has been excellent. And we have a fairly long (30') run.

As for keeping up, we simply do a load a day. Wife starts the washer when she gets up around 6:15, clothes go in the dryer on the way out the door. Then maybe do another load in the evening.

14. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Living with my older son and daughter in-law and their 3 sons (15, 18, 21), I do my own laundry: one load on Monday and one (including sheets) on Thursday. Everyone else does their own as well. The boys are somewhat erratic in doing their laundry and have a tendency to overload the washer, often cramming what should be 2 loads into one. We adults, being more civilized, :rolleyes: make smaller loads. We have an LG frontoader and Whirlpool electric dryer and never have a problem of the dryer keeping up with the washer. Our biggest problem is one of manual operations -- changing loads on a timely basis.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, not like going down to the river and beating the dirt out on rocks. Problem I have is, if I go upstairs I get involved in something else and forget about the wash. So, I end up spending the time in my well equipped hidey-hole which is on the other end of the utility room.

Rich

16. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    There is just the wife and me. I usually do the laundry on Saturday or Sunday because that's when I can do it per my electric rate plan and when I'm available. No big deal - watch TV / NASCAR while it's running. I can also reach into the washer much easier (she's a bit on the short side).

5-8 loads per week - the higher number when I wash the bedding. Usually all done on the same day.

And yes - you need to check your exhaust for the dryer and get one of them Lint removers that go on your drill - that made ALOT of difference in how long the dry cycle takes (even with an electric dryer).

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gotta try the dry towel thing. Thanx for the tip.

I don't use hot or even warm water, so I wouldn't need another hot water heater but 2 washers and 2 dryers is what I'm shooting for. Now I gotta convince my wife....who doesn't even know how to use the dryer. It's new and she hasn't gone near it since we got it.

Last time we had an argument like this was about buying a riding lawn mower. Had to break my ankle (had a cast on up to my butt) and make her cut the grass to convince her that the yard was just too big for a small walk behind mower. She cut the grass once and we immediately went to an HD and bought a rider. Hope I don't have to go thru something so radical this time.... :lol:

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's convenient, for you. I'd fall asleep. :lol:

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Our housekeepers only come every two weeks, that wouldn't work. I gotta send you a picture of my housekeepers. :lol:

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sounds like you've observed my wife and granddaughter. Seems like they change their outfits every half hour...:nono2:

Rich