1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lawyer gets suckered

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Jul 18, 2010.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    NH lawyer out $240,000 for online scam

Saturday, July 17, 2010

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Officials say a New Hampshire attorney is out $240,000 after falling for an online scam.

The New Hampshire Attorney General's Office says the lawyer agreed through e-mail to deposit a check from someone claiming to be from a company in China. When the bank notified him the money was available, the attorney wired $240,000 — about half of what he had received in the first place — to an account held by a "supplier" of the company.

Assistant Attorney General Karen Gorham says the check was later deemed bogus and that the attorney, who is not being named, is now liable because people are responsible for checks they deposit.

The New Hampshire Bar Association has posted a message on its website warning that sophisticated scams are targeting lawyers.

I'm trying to find out who it was. When I do find out, I think I'll start forwarding him all the spam e-mails I get asking me for some advance money to free up typically 5 million dollars or pounds that is on deposit in an African bank somewhere.

Nice, how they hide this lawyer's identity, just like they used to do with the New Hampshire Supreme Court's "secret docket" about a decade ago.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Just goes to show how a degree doesn't automatically make you smarter than someone without a degree.

IF I'd ever had that attorney represent me and lost a case, I'd be looking into a mistrial.

3. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yeah...I feel so sorry... !rolling...for !rolling...him... !rolling !rolling !rolling

4. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    Regardless of who gets scammed it's not funny. I see this happen on a daily basis to people of all walks of life. What if it was your mother, father etc...

What a sad thought to laugh at someones misfortune.

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yes, it's funny. No one with a hint of technological common sense should ever fall for an email scam. It is funny a person smart enough to pass the bar was stupid enough to be a sucker for this. I'll continue to laugh at those who are dumb enough to bring this misfortune upon them.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I encounter a large number of "smart" people (degrees, powerful high-paying jobs, company officers, academics, etc.) in the course of my job. A great many of them are technologically CLUELESS and seem to have very little practical life experience. So much so that, often, a 3rd-grader could scam them.

7. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Remember, this lawyer is a professional who earns a six figure annual income to protect clients from getting scammed like this.

8. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Confucius say: "Money not buy brains..."

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    A friend of mine just got the 'hit man' email.

He took it all seriously until I directed him to where the FBI listed it as a scam.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Because we all know how a hitman emails his target beforehand. :lol:

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Some of my friends don't always have clean conscience pasts, unlike me, so I can understand his original jumpiness reaction.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    When is something this old and common going to stop being a "sophisticated scam" and be recognized as an old con?

Nothing sophisticated about it. Calling it that only serves to sooth the feelings of a victim that should have had their eyes wide open.

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    That particular scam has been underway for over 3 years, according to Clark Howard's website (a national syndicated radio/TV Consumer advocate).

It's also been used in a variation where you get a check for a large item purchase, where the check is more than the purchase price. The check-sender then says "it's OK, I trust you, just send me the overage". Then, of course, the original sent check bounces and the person is out whatever "overage" amount they sent.

The fact that he was duped doesn't bode well for his common sense.

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "Greed is good."

15. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    He wouldn't be my lawyer. :rolleyes:

This is probably the one advantage of having an AOL email address that's been around forever. I see all of these bogus offers daily. How anyone, smart or stupid, could fall for one of these baffles me. If it involves easy money, it's certainly a scam.

16. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    My father always used the old quote "survival of the fittest" and would say that in the wild only the smart survive. I grew up with that "live and learn" mentality, not the "because I'm stupid I'll sue you mentality."

So, is it funny? Because he's a practicing lawyer; hell yeah it's funny!

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Exactly.

I wouldn't laugh at a child being scammed or someone with a mental handicap or an elderly person getting tricked. Actually, non-internet scams of the elderly is still a big thing and not a funny matter.

But a practicing lawyer who has no excuse for falling for such a thing? He gets no sympathy.

18. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I feel bad for all of this jack bags friends and clients who he forwarded the good news to as legal advice.

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It's the exact template of the "Nigerian" scams that have been going on for decades.

20. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Which one?

The "You have won the lottery...?
    The "An important check has been sent to you..."?
    The "A distant relative has left you money..."?

All these scams are indeed out there...and appear in a cyclical timeframe, cropping up in bunches every few years. They all have made the national media at one time or another.

Anyone who gets duped by any of these is simply not paying attention and/or lacks anything resembling common sense.