1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

learning as I go

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by satcrazy, Dec 9, 2011.

1. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    OK, got a new universal remote with learning and macro capabilities, [ RCA RCRN06gr] and the existing library codes have worked for my devices, and now I'm reading how to add additional button commands [ the print is "micro" making this harder than it has to be] and I've looked at these instructions over and over, and I can not find anything reffering to the colored buttons, so two questions for now,

1 what are the colored buttons used for

2 exactly what is "macros"? does that mean performing 1 function for multiple devices? That is all I can figure out from reading the forum.

thanks!

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm afraid I don't know what color buttons are used for on a Dish receiver. DIRECTV receivers use them for different miscellaneous tasks like bringing up an options menu.

Macros are where the remote does more than one thing in succession like: TV ON, TV to HDMI1, DVR ON, AV Receiver ON.

3. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    The colored buttons on the dish remote are non operational.

So on the new RCA universal remote I just bought, the colored buttons can't be assigned a function? They are only used for the coreseponding colored buttons on the Satellite remote?

Thanks

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Not having precise knowledge of that remote, I don't know if you can map those buttons to something else. I know it's possible on other remotes.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    What Dish receiver do you have?

The 922 actually does use the colored buttons in some menus, but I think it is the only Dish receiver that does.

6. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    The 222k

colored buttons don't respond to anything.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Thanks... I just wanted to be sure. I don't have experience with all Dish receivers, but was pretty sure only the 922 makes limited use of the color buttons.