1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lease v. buy

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by nmstough, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Sep 8, 2016 #1 of 32
    nmstough

nmstough Cool Member

Sep 27, 2005
    After multiple attempts to get my obsolete Hopper/Sling replaced with a Hopper 3 so that I can finally watch in 4K as my display permits, the best I can get out of Dish is an upfront cost of $150 with an installer visit for more additional money and an extension to the contract.

I therefore wonder whether I would be better off just buying everything from solidsignal.com and installing it myself. Would this eliminate the lease fee and therefore easily make me better off over the life of the contract?

2. Sep 8, 2016 #2 of 32
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The Hopper 3 would become the only receiver on your account (Joeys can be kept/upgraded). There is no lease fee or first receiver fee so your main cost difference would be the difference between what DISH will charge to lease or a reseller will provide for you to own. (And the hope that some day you can sell the H3 and get some money out of it.)

DISH's installation is all inclusive (changing Joeys and LNBs/dishes as needed). If you do a self install you will need to replace your LNB with the new version and take care of any setup issues.

3. Sep 8, 2016 #3 of 32
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I left DISH for two years (2012-13), and I had an owned 311 and 622. But, DISH wanted their equipment back, as they claimed it was "theirs". Not wanting to deal with threatening letters, credit collections and the like; I parted with the equipment. They even insisted on the LNB, which fortunately happened to be in my garage when DIrecTV replaced the dish. After two years with DirecTV, I returned to DISH. Since then, after installing a Hopper w/ Sling; I updated a Joey to a Super Joey. But, I am leery about trying the owned equipment route.

I tried to update to a Hopper 3, but the cost did not justify the expense. $50 "credit check", $250 for the Hopper 3 and $100 for the install. There is another forum about that discussion. $400 would buy a Joey 4lk and Hopper 3 from solidsignal.com. Another $100 for the replacement switch and LNBs, as the LNB and switch, for Hooper w/sling and older equipment; will not work with the Hopper 3.

So, if you are capable of an install, and you can guarantee that DISH chooses not to "own" the equipment you just bought, solidsignal.com may eb your bets bet..

4. Sep 8, 2016 #4 of 32
    Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    FWIW, having a Hopper 3 doesn't make a network in SD/HD suddenly 4K.

5. Sep 8, 2016 #5 of 32
    SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Keep calling back. You will eventually get someone who will do it for free for you. I did.

6. Sep 8, 2016 #6 of 32
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Whether you lease or own, your monthly fees will be the same. Nothing for the Hopper 3 as the primary receiver... but additional charges for Joeys and, of course, the DVR fee... but these fees will be the same whether you lease or own the equipment.

IF you can purchase all the required equipment and install it yourself for less than the $150, then do it... but if you can't... then I can't think of a reason not to take the upgrade offer.

7. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    When you purchase your Dish receivers you do not get the "special deals" but you are not in a 24 month commitment either.

When I bought my VIP922 I already had the Dish Protection Plan on my Dish account,so I called up Dish told them what I had and they sent out an installer to make sure I was setup correctly and if I needed a different dish,switch ect. Dish

would install it and it was paid for by the Dish Protection Plan -$15. my co-pay costs.

When you "own" your Dish receivers you definitely need to keep the Dish Protection Plan on your account because if any of them goes out the Dish Protection Plan keeps"owned" receivers "owned".

If you don't keep the Dish Protection Plan on your Dish account and a"owned" receiver goes out,when Dish replaces it, a "owned" receiver becomes a"leased" receiver. Good Luck! :)

8. Bitspitter

Bitspitter New Member

May 8, 2015
    I'm also in the process of going to a Hopper 3. After my experiences with going to the Hopper, I am now on the 'Buy' route. At least I own the equipment and can do with it what I choose. I also prefer to do my own installations. Check eBay...you can pickup what you need there much cheaper. I only need an LNB, hybrid solo hub, and the receiver. I'll get out for less than $200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. nmstough

nmstough Cool Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I tried going to ebay, but I see no possibilities for getting all these three items for less than $200. The Hopper 3 by itself is more expensive than that.

If I bought the receiver, and it failed I would go back to the seller and request a replacement, not Dish. That way it would stay owned and wouldn't have to be returned.

Ive also tried 10 times now to get the Dish upgrade below $150 for the receiver - not to mention the installer fee and contract extension. Nothing has worked. I tried one of the Dish "experts" on this forum with the same results. Clearly they don't value my business very much. I might wait until the end of my contract and threaten to cancel unless... and see if that works.

10. Bitspitter

Bitspitter New Member

May 8, 2015
    My bad, tough. I should have said less than $300. I picked up an LNB and switch for $25. I've seen H3 receivers on eBay for $249, including shipping.

I've tried threatening to leave before too after I had gotten out of contract. Unfortunately, they don't care. My biggest problem has always been the installers. I take the extra time to do a thorough and neat job, but most installers I have had do not. I've always ended up redoing work after they leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. nmstough

nmstough Cool Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Youre not kidding about the installers. When I had my system installed the installer forgot to bring out some anchoring things to hold the mast assembly in place. He asked me to grab some stones out of my garden to hold it! What a joke. Of course it went out of alignment right away. I think its out of alignment again because the slightest little bit of rain causes "complete signal loss". But I dont have the equipment to align it myself so I cant do as you did.

12. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    The Dish Protection Plan covers dish realignments.

I kept calling and had Dish send out a installer 4 times before I was satisfied with my dish alignment,that $15. co-pay goes a long way if your not satisfied and get them to come back again within a reasonable time.

In other words if your not satisfied do not hesitate to call and get them back out to do it again.

13. nmstough

nmstough Cool Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I'm so glad that Dish decided they wanted $150 for their Hopper 3 receiver. I would have been willing to agree a two year contract a couple months ago. Now that I know about DirecTV now, I'm going to cancel their service and save a bundle. Stupid Dish. I expect they will be bankrupt next year.

14. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Because Dish doesn't want to give away free stuff, they will go bankrupt? I'd argue the opposite... Giving away free stuff is how you go bankrupt in a hurry!

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    People have been saying DISH is going bankrupt since they first turned a profit.

1 person likes this.
  16. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    My personal feeling - I'd own "non-DVR" equipment, but lease DVRs (with their harddrives that can go out). Right now - I own my VIP222K with the MT2 OTA adapter. It would be nice if I could have a Hopper and a Joey with my current 222K, but I'm not sure they will allow that. I do add the Protection plan if I need service.

With the buy non DVR, lease DVR - I could see leasing the Hopper and buying a Joey.

17. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Although... in that hypothetical scenario... Joeys are useless without Hoppers... so I'm not sure what the merit would be in owning a Joey if you're leasing a Hopper.

18. nmstough

nmstough Cool Member

Sep 27, 2005
    That's not right. For $150 they could have locked me into a 2 year contract. Their profit on me for 24 months is way more than $150. Now they will earn nothing.

19. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The $150 would not cover their entire cost of upgrading your receiver and system.

1 person likes this.
  20. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    • Once again, leased vs owned is the same in replacement of failures - there is NO ADVANTAGE to owning except resale value when you quit Dish, all fees and other costs are identical with owned vs leased equipment. If you get an upgrade for next to nothing (or even nothing), that even takes away the resale value advantage.