1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Least Expensive Way to go Wireless-N?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by itzme, Feb 9, 2009.

1. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I currently have a Belkin F5D8233-4v3(01) as my primary router. My two HRs get on my wireless network with 2 old WRT54g routers that I've set up as Client Bridges (wireless adapters) that have DD-WRT. So this means that even though I have an N router, the network is only giving me Wireless G speeds.

I'm thinking that once MRV comes out I'm going to want Wireless N speed on everything. What is the least expensive way to upgrade?

I've noticed that the Belkin Router has a setting to use it as an Access Point? Would that work on my HR's? Those routers sell for under $60, whereas the newer WGA600N is more like $90. Would that work? Is there anyway to get Wireless N mode onto my DD-WRT existing hardware (WRT54g routers set as bridges)? I don't think DD-WRT supports wireless N. I don't really want to go the powerline route either. I'm open to creative ideas...

2. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    hmmm... there's no frugel Wireless N folks, eh?

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No. An access point isn't the same as a bridge. The HRs need a bridge.

No, totally different hardware is required.

It certainly does, but again, you need N devices.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

What it comes down to is that you're going to have to buy some new N-class devices that can work as a wireless bridge, and since you can find the WGA600N for around $70, you probably won't save much money buying a different brand right now. And even if you can save $10-20 a unit, is it worth giving up native support? You'll have to decide that for yourself.

4. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    IIP. Thanks! Very helpful. You validated alot that I suspected. I think I'll wait for MRV and then see how my G network handles it.