1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Legal action against Dish?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by scottchez, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    This link is about miss leading terms.

http://www.channel3000.com/money/2788823/detail.html

I wonder if there is any legal action yet about miss leading on the 921, after all many of the features and functions advertised on the Flyer for the 921 do not work yet. Any Class actions out there?

2. ride525

ride525 Legend

Aug 13, 2003
    How long has the 921 been out? A month or so? Think it is already time for someone to file a class action after just a month, and perhaps not a mass availablilty at that? Maybe give Dish time to work out the problems before suing?

3. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Yea, support your local class action lawyer. Good idea. :rolleyes:

4. kstevens

kstevens Icon

Mar 26, 2003
    Who in the hell would have been mislead. The only people buying right now probably read this or one of the other dbs forums, and if they weren't up to speed on the 921, then they deserve what they got.

Ken

5. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    What about all those that ready the PDF on the Dish Web Site and then call there local retailer and order one.

The retailer shows up, installs it and many of the things do not work yet, are not turned on, or it crashes every 10 Mins as they mostly watch OTA?

This happened to a guy I used to work with. He does not know about these boards but knows I like Dishnetwork over cable. The retailer never mentioned anything about the know issues which are well documented here and many retailers read.

He is Brother is a Lawyer.

6. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm playing the wait and see game right now. Not enough reason to be on the "bleeding" edge and buying a 921 right now. SW is still beta as far as I'm concerned and I'll see how it matures over the course of this year.

At least it's not running a Microsoft OS!

7. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    UPDATE:

They are wondering if any one else was thinking of Legal action. THey have NOT started any.

He did call Dish and complained and got FREE Two Moths of the HD package and the Local channels credit (since the HD and Local OTA maping stuff is acting up).

His Brother thought maybe only the retailer could be listed since they sold it to them.

QUestion: Are you Retailers protected out there legaly? Is this maybe why DIsh is not selling the unit them selfs?

8. Jerry G

Jerry G Icon

Jul 12, 2003
    It figures that you'd be the one to bring this up. After all, you've plastered the Internet with your multiple reasons for not buying a 921. You have the vendetta against the 921, so naturally, you should take the lead in this instead of trying to get someone else to do it for you.

BTW, I don't think I'll join your suit. Also, "miss leading" is spelled misleading.

9. kstevens

kstevens Icon

Mar 26, 2003
    How many idiots would make a 1000 dollar purchase without doing the necessary research on the product?

Ken

10. Tyralak

Tyralak Icon

Jan 24, 2004

It might as well be. Charlie has a tendancy to use his customers as unwitting, paying beta-testers. :mad:

11. willy

willy Legend

Jan 7, 2004
    Maybe Im the first to think of this- but .... there usually is a 30day return policy with retailers. If you arent happy with it, you could return it, yes? If you are upset about the 921 so much you are williing to participate in a lawsuit, why would you have kept it and not returned it and kissed the $1k goodbye?

12. awax

awax Legend

May 9, 2003
    Although suing at this point is a bit extreme its good to see "Charlies's bodyguards" are out in full force. He puts out a defective product and its OK or gives misleading info in his own brochure on his own website. It doesn't matter that the 921 hasn't been out very long and it doesn't matter the amount of research done on the various bugs it has. Charlie is wrong for putting out a subpar product and beta testing it on his customers and this paticular user could have taken it back or requested a refund and if that led nowhere then he needs to take it up with his CC company.

13. awax

awax Legend

May 9, 2003
    This is a very good point.

14. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    WHo said any thing about suing?

The guy was just asking if any one out there thought about it.

THe fist post has a link with some action on a contract suit over locals. THen the question was asked if any one is thinking about issues over the 921.

The an example of a real customer complaint was presented where Dish did take care of them with a programing credit.

Point being, customers seem happy for now, but what if the 921 goes to someone new and they are miss lead and the never read any of the DBS forums.

Do all retailers explain that the thing does not work as advertised right now and there is legal action. Do the lawyers go after the Retailer or DIsh.

15. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.