1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legend of the Seeker: Series Premier OAD 11/1/2008

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Oct 28, 2008.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    A two part premier of the new series "Legend of the Seeker" will occur Saturday. From Wikipedia:
    Because it's syndicated, it is offered on an independent or affiliated channel in each area of the country, though not in all DMA's. And, of course, it may not be available from your local channel in HD. But do not despair as it is offered nationally on WGN starting at 5 pm EDT (also see schedules for KTLA and WPIX). It will be repeated on Sunday.

The show has an official web site where you can put in your Zip Code to find out which local channel it is on. There is also a 10-minute preview video that was presented earlier this month on a 30-minute special hosted by Lucy Lawless. An unofficial web site is also up and running.

2. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Just a reminder that this is coming up Saturday. Reviews have been...ah...mixed? But it is the pilot and we all know pilots today have to be crammed with everything. Typical are these comments from Variety:
    But I'm a great deal less jaded than many reviewers and feel more like these comments in TV Squad:
    Personally, I like traditional fantasy over reality TV which is not only fantasy but frequently a depressing attempt to provide escapist entertainment. I prefer evil wizards to Donald Trump.

3. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    I thought The Donald was an evil wizard. :D

4. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    tried the website with my zip code, of course they showed a Nashville station.

:rant: I am in Tennessee, (the only Tennessee county forced to watch Huntsville, Alabama political commercials). Please call your congressman and free me from the clutches of Alabama television.:rant:

5. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    I have a hard time seeing some of the things from the Sword of Truth novels making it onto network tv....the Mord-Sith for one....then again, a lot of things are shown on network tv these days.

6. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Since I know nothing about the novels I looked up the Mord-Sith in Wikipedia:
    Hmmmmmm. So I then had to look up the entry on the novels:
    There's a whole lot more.

Well, now. I guess maybe the show isn't on Disney for a reason? I'll be real curious if it attempts to in any way head off into philosophy. The show is based on the first book only, Wizard's First Rule. Again, looking to Wikipedia I discovered the Wizards First Rule:
    "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!", said Gomer. I don't expect that bit of wisdom to appear in the Disney version, even in syndication. But we'll see. In the meantime, off to Amazon to find these subversive books with all their perversions before they are all burned....:grin:

In the meantime, there is a decent review of the show in the LA Times.

7. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    Very very good books *nod nod nod* :D

8. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I'm still hoping that they will be true to the books and not completely PC'afy them.
    Off the top of my head, I can think of several things that may get cut in the need to be PC.

1. Rape/abuse of women/women as property - There's a lot of it in the series. At some points, it was overwhelming.

2. Richard's whole philosophy that "You're on your own. The only person that can take care of you is yourself. Any government/leader that says the needs of the many outweigh your needs is lying to you because they want to keep under control."

3. Richards other philosophy that "You're either with us or against us; there is no middle ground or grey area. If you want to sit in the middle or preach peace to both sides, you are aiding those who would kill us and therefore, you are against us. If you stand between us and them, we won't go out of our way to save you and we won't hesitate to kill you if you get in the way."

4. Mord-Sith. I'll be interested to see how much background they give on them and how they were trained.

9. russ9

russ9 Godfather

Jan 28, 2004
    It's on WGN National, worth a look...

10. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    OMG!!! DUDE! SO EXCITED!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these books - although I have not finished the series.

11. frederic1943

frederic1943 Icon

Dec 1, 2006
    It was very good here in Portland, Oregon. Our CW channel is on satellite in HD and the picture quality was great. The acting and the special effects were much better than the Sci-Fi channel's movies. And as with Xena the spectacular scenery of New Zealand was used to good effect.

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I agree that it was much better than a Sci-Fi channel movie, but that's a pretty low standard. Considering the two hours was the pilot that had to lay the groundwork for a complicated series, it was OK.

For reasons only known to the TV Gods, the first showing on WGNHD (on Dish, at least) missed a few seconds of the opening scene and they showed the first 43 minutes in 4:3 switching to 16:9 after a commercial.:nono2:

The Bay Area CW is in SD, but its sister station, a Fox affiliate, is in HD and is airing it from 12-2 am this morning. I'm recording that out of curiosity.

The scenery, special effects, and other production values are good. While they did squeeze in a little humor, this appears likely to be more serious show than Xena but I could be wrong.

I was very surprised that the following quote did appear:
    With that said, if you are a true fan of the books, you're going to have to pretend the pilot is not based on them or you'll likely be disappointed. Whether they actually incorporate more of the books in later episodes, who knows?

13. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    They broadcast it here at 12:05AM, but of course started it 35 minutes late, so even with the show padded 30 minutes, we missed the last 5 minutes; I'm re-recording ep 2 again tonight so we'll catch those 5 minutes. I suspect, however, if we really want to watch this show, we basically need to pad an hour every week, basically doubling how much space the show takes up on the DVR.

It is pretty good, though, so it is probably worth doing so. I did read the books, and I prefer the television show, actually.

14. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    Yep, if you have read the books, you spend the entire time screaming in your head the plot it all wrong.

I don't know if I can keep watching it. It is nothing like the books.

15. puckwithahalo

Sep 2, 2007
    I wouldn't say its all wrong. I think they're just cutting corners on some of the parts of it that really aren't as significant. I'm looking at it as something totally separate from the book, not trying to nitpick, and I liked it. That or I'm completely missing something that was integral to the original storyline (it has been a while since I read the book). The only big thing that I'm wondering how they'll handle is the Book of Counted Shadows and him not having memorized it yet.

16. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    I agree, I think this is going to end up being something based loosely on the series. I also think buring the book is going to be a pretty big thing to get around without completely re-writing the story. Did anyone notice that they got rid of the "pain" he would feel when he killed someone with the sword.

Was it just my recording, or did anyone else notice the few 30 seconds of dead air going into and comming out of some of the commercial breaks. It's almost like CW in Houston didn't have enough advertising so they just left blank 30 second blocks.

17. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    Well, I was looking at the episode list at the website and one of them is labeled "Denna." So we will see how they tie in the Mord Sith.

They could have at least picked actors that fit the descriptions!

18. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    That bothered me as well; it's been several years since I read any of the books, but I distinctly remember Khalen (sp?) being blond and Richard being a very large man.

19. bicker1

bicker1 Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2007
    Generally, I'm more concerned about acting ability than 100% conformance to appearance specs.

20. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy Hall Of Fame

Dec 27, 2006
    Exactly. and Darken Rahl was a blonde haired blue eyed beauty - and where are his scars?

I am watching the second part right now - Richard chasing after the book - ...Rahl is using a journey book which is interesting considering they are not introduced to later in the book series.