1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Length Of Install?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Thunderstruck, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    I currently have DirecTV (whole home DVR with 3 other tv's hooked in) and have decided to switch to Dish Network.

Can they use most of my current cables?

Also, how long do you think the install should take?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    depend, could be 4-5 hours

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck New Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks, I was kinda hoping they could use most of my cabling and get done in 2-3 hours. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

4. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST Godfather

Aug 9, 2010
    Mostly depends on the amount of issues they run into. Especially factory firmware bugs.

5. shoplifter

shoplifter Cool Member

May 29, 2008
    I actually had the same question. Will I be required to remove the dish from the existing pole mount? Was hoping they could use the existing outdoor cabling as well.

6. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Since the mast size Dish uses is different from Direct, it is hard to tell. The installer would remove the existing dish if that is where the new one would have to go, other wise he may leave it for you to take down or you could possibly pay him to do it. Existing wires could be used depending on the setup, this is hard to tell since there is no idea of how your home is wired. If he can use the wire, I'm sure he would. You could ask him to if it fits the setup.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    discuss the matter with an installer ... there are many points: say you'll be back to dish after 2 years contract with DTV, then I would keep the dish and install separate for DTV and will try to reuse your cabling, BUT we/installer doesn't know what exactly you have and would need to be done in your home for DTV - how many boxes, TVs, SWiM or not, etc