1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Length of lines for Component input

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Avillant, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Avillant

Avillant AllStar

May 21, 2004
    I hope I am putting this question in the right place. I have a 942 in my living room. The LR TV is run off the HDMI output to the main TV1. The TV2 coax output is distributed to other TVs in the house. I just got a nice HD Ready 32" LCD (Sharp Aquos) TV for my bedroom and I was wondering if I could run the unused TV1 Component outputs to my bedroom and get true HD. How long can the Component output leads be. I figure they would have to be about 75' in my case. Can I use decent quality RG-6 cables for the 3 video leads?? I'd appreciate an answer or suggestions from someone who knows. Thanks!

Tony

2. deweybrunner

deweybrunner Legend

Feb 8, 2004
    I will be interested in the answers you get. I have basically the same setup with a 32 inch hdtv in a separate room and would like to get hd. Now I have rg6 hooked up from the 942 to this tv. My only problem is I have tv in lr, which does not hdmi input, hooked up to component video. I would need a lengthly hdmi cable which I do not think is available, however, in your case there is plenty of component cable on e bay at very cheap prices with the length you want. Good luck. Hope we both can get some idea's from our skilled associates! Dewey, Tampa, Fl.

3. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    It's too late for the 942, but I'd hope that future dual tuner/dual output HDTV receivers will provide high definition outputs for both TV1 and TV2 (in dual mode). As the price of HDTVs drops, households with multiple high def sets will become more common.

4. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    I'm no expert in this, but remember some posts somewhere about people having success doing this. I DO know that "F"-to-RCA adapters are available.

5. dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Check the HT thread at AVS...and search... :)

6. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson ViP622/ViP722 Guy DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2005
    Yes, you can! 75ft would be no problem. The three video cables need to be the same exact length. You can also use RG-6 for the audio as well. RCA connectors are available for RG-6 cable, or use F-to-RCA adapters as suggested.

7. RLMesq

RLMesq Legend

Mar 9, 2003
    Sorry to join this thread late, but I hope I can save others some time and money. I spent many hours researching the connections from my receiver to a Panasonic projector, and hope my finds can benefit somebody else.

I am running component video through R6, plus HDMI. All cable runs are 25 feet and I get good picture quality.

I started with some F-to-RCA connectors from www.arcade-electronics.com part number CAD 75-635, for $1.30 apiece. They also sell wall plates with assorted numbers of holes, so you can build your own setup with the plate and connectors. For instance, I put together a plate with the three component connections, plus the two F connectors for my 942, for about ten bucks.

When I decided to add HDMI as well, I bought plates from DVI Gear that have both an HDMI pass through and component connections.

http://www2.dvigear.com/dviwallplates.html

Finally, the best price I've found on HDMI cable is www.monoprice.com . They sell a 25 footer for $33.95, and also have cables in short lengths, down to three feet, for connections between the wall and equipment.